Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I had any doubt that my coaching days were over I guess that this seals the deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I had any doubt that my coaching days were over I guess that this seals the deal!

Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone breaks'

Mar
    3/27/2019 12:14:01 PM
    New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN reports. He did something similar while coaching at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.

"They're itching to get to those things," he said.

Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts to see players lose interest.

"You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we'll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus," Kingsbury said.

While coaching the Red Raiders the past six years, Kingsbury saw firsthand just how short young football players' attention spans can be. Kingsbury said the average age in the NFL is 25, not much older than the players he coached in college.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

This was more my style LOL!

Mike Zimmer: CB Xavier Rhodes needs to play up to contract
    Mar
    3/27/2019 11:40:47 AM
    innesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer sent a strong message to his star cornerback Xavier Rhodes at the Annual League Meeting this week according to Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

"I just don't think he played as well as he can play," Zimmer said. "He needs to play up to his ability level. We're paying him a lot of money. He needs to play up to that contract." In Rhodes' defense, he was hampered by a host of injuries in 2018 which limited him to 14 games and hobbled him in several others but there is no denying he had his worst season in the NFL with career-lows of 47 tackles, one interception, and seven passes defensed.

Those would be acceptable numbers for many cornerbacks but not one whose stellar level of play since entering the league as a first-round draft pick in 2013 earned him a lucrative six-year, $78.13 million extension in the summer of 2017. Rhodes was floated as a potential trade piece early in the offseason, but that came and went without any drama. The Vikings need Rhodes to play at his shutdown level if they're going to return to the postseason.

The 2018 Minnesota Vikings were a disappointment on many levels, going from a preseason Super Bowl favorite of an 8-7-1 record and missing the playoffs altogether. Rhodes' struggles were only a small part of that but many of the Vikings' ills can be attributed to a talented roster not playing to its potential and -- at least in his coach's eyes -- Rhodes was one of those players. He is scheduled to make $10.4 million for the upcoming season and could see himself shuffled out of Minnesota if he does not rebound in 2019.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
    X