X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammy Watkins?

IgglesBlitz, In-Depth Philadelphia Eagles Analysis

Still Looking?
    Posted: March 30th, 2020 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 161 Comments
    The Eagles haven’t signed any wide receivers. Howie Roseman recently explained that the free agent market hadn’t played out as expected. He talked about how the Eagles like their current receivers more than most understand. He sounded like a man focused on the draft and not finding veteran help.

Was that legit?

Let’s talk about some things.

Field Yates

@FieldYates
    Official cap space by team (teams 24-32):
    24. BAL: 13,513,779
    25. GB: 12,966,433
    26. MIN: 12,495,443
    27. SEA: 11,317,846
    28. NO: 9,237,537
    29. PIT: 8,667,814
    30. ATL: 7,530,188
    31. NE: 891,775
    32. KC: 177

8:02 AM - Mar 30, 2020

The Chiefs have $177.00 of cap space. That is crazy. Clearly the Chiefs have to make some moves or some contract adjustments.

One way they could free up some money is to move on from WR Sammy Watkins. He is on the cap for $21M this year. KC could save $14M by letting him go, either by cut or trade. With Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman newly re-signed Demarcus Robinson and Byron Pringle, KC has a solid group of receivers. Is Watkins a necessity or a luxury they can no longer afford?

Howie knows Chiefs GM Brett Veach very well from their time together with the Eagles. Maybe they can work something out. Maybe Howie is waiting to see if KC will flat out release Watkins. That would be a dangerous game to play, but it just might happen.

Watkins hasn’t put up big numbers since he was with Buffalo in 2015, but he came up big in the playoffs last year and helped KC win the Super Bowl. Watkins is about to turn 27 and he still has plenty of talent.

Maybe the Chiefs have a plan to re-do some deals and to keep Watkins (at a lower rate, of course). This is something to keep an eye on.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Personally, I am not interested in any FA WR right now. I don't think they are worth the $$$.

I am hoping to land one of big WR fish in the 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      Personally, I am not interested in any FA WR right now. I don't think they are worth the $$$.

I am hoping to land one of big WR fish in the 1st round.
      amen
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think that you guys are right. I'm really the only guy around here who is fine with our receivers for this year even though I'd like to draft one. That would change though if Alshon isn't healthy for his first camp. I'm tired of the Eagles staring the season with 5 starters on the sidelines.

Comment

The only FA WR I'm interested in is one that is on a one year prove it deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
            The only FA WR I'm interested in is one that is on a one year prove it deal.
            Watkins only has 1 year left on his contract so that is kind of what you're looking for. I imagine KC could get a 3 or 4 for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              I think that you guys are right. I'm really the only guy around here who is fine with our receivers for this year even though I'd like to draft one. That would change though if Alshon isn't healthy for his first camp. I'm tired of the Eagles staring the season with 5 starters on the sidelines.
              I'm kinda with you but I really want them to draft a WR with a lot of upside!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Jeffery will likely be PUP'ed for the start of the season so Id like to see two WR picks if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                  Jeffery will likely be PUP'ed for the start of the season so Id like to see two WR picks if possible.
                  Not again!! Manam I sick of that crap! Even though I'm one of his biggest champions if that's the case give him an injury settlement and part ways.

Comment

Won't be an injury settlement since his contract is guaranteed. They need two WRs in the draft. Guys who can play now not somebody they think will be ready on three years
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      I'm with you if we can get one. Really I'd at least want to start our season with all of our bullets in the chamber for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        I want a badass MFer. Someone with ball skills and an attitude, but It would be nice if he didn't go into a celebratory dance, ala James Thrash for each 3 yard reception. I too am tired of hearing about upside
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          I want a badass MFer. Someone with ball skills and an attitude, but It would be nice if he didn't go into a celebratory dance, ala James Thrash for each 3 yard reception. I too am tired of hearing about upside
                          Such was the trash that McNabb had to throw to.

Comment

Watkins is reworking contract to stay with KC.

Comment

Working...
                            X