• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for a big move at LT

Taylor Hart, Eagles agree to contract
    He’s back in Philly.
    by Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Oct 25, 2017, 3:54pm EDT

After bringing him in for a workout, the Philadelphia Eagles are signing Taylor Hart to a two-year deal, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport. The team has since officially confirmed the news.

Hart, 26, moved to offensive tackle this offseason after failing to amount to much as a defensive tackle in the NFL. He exceeded very low expectations by pushing for a roster spot but ultimately was released in final cuts.

Several Eagles reporters had the Eagles keeping Hart in their final roster projections. The feeling here is he would’ve made the practice squad if he was still eligible, which he is not.

Hart is hardly a savior in light of the Jason Peters injury. But he gives the team more depth at the position. Here’s what Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich said about Hart during his Wednesday press conference.

“All my grades on Taylor, when he was here, were very high. It’s a tough business. There are only so many [roster] spots. But I was very impressed with Taylor through OTAs and training camp and thought he showed a lot of good signs.”
    Halapoulivaati Vaitai is still likely to start at left tackle with Lane Johnson potentially staying at right tackle. Isaac Seumalo is currently the backup swing tackle, but the Eagles could look to use Hart there instead. Or Hart could be Seumalo’s backup in that role.

As of this post, the Eagles still haven’t officially announced the Hart signing. Both Peters and Jordan Hicks are expected to be placed on injured reserve today, which will free up two roster spots. We know Hart will replace Peters, but there’s no word on who will replace Hicks just yet.

UPDATE: It’s official.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I didn’t expect one. Too difficult to pull off this time of year
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

One of the things I wondered about were blocking schemes. Not sure how true it is but the birds supposedly have been running various schemes for the same play. Not only is it hard to find a top guy sitting on the street but this gives them someone who knows their system.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Ya, but football is football. This guy would sit on the pine for a few weeks but would be protection in case of additional unpleasantness.
        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Not a sexy signing but I can live with it. No word on Hicks replacement. It seems they will roll with Kendricks Bradham and drop Jenkins down. Makes the Cory Graham signing this offseason even bigger.

Comment

Guys if worse comes to worse the OL could be adjusted like this.

Lane - Wiz - Kelce - Warmack/Isaac - Brooks

Just saying... Brooks is athletic enough to move out to RT I think.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              Guys if worse comes to worse the OL could be adjusted like this.

Lane - Wiz - Kelce - Warmack/Isaac - Brooks

Just saying... Brooks is athletic enough to move out to RT I think.
              Let's just hope that we can avoid the musical chairs mess that we had last year AW and keep Wentz alive. For now I think that we just put somebody other than Johnson at LT and keep him there for continuity. Big V blocked down a few times and let people come in all alone on Monday on pass plays. It takes time to learn this stuff. I don't want to recreate last year's mess when we had a decent line that couldn't figure out who to block.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree 60. I don't want it to come to that and I don't think it will really.

He is NOT Jason Peters. He has a longer and leaner body type similar to Tra Thomas. He was a multiple year starter in a Power 5 conference and faced good to very good pass rushers on a weekly basis.

Given time I think he can be a good enough Tackle. We are not talking about King Dunlap or Winston Justice. I'm hoping he is more athletic than those guys and smarter.

He will need to be given help and the good news is Brent Celek is an experienced Vet and can do that. It is actually a pretty good situation for him I think because of Celek's ability to help secure that edge.

And to me, the best news is that finding a RT of the future can be done in the later part of the first round which is where we will be picking this year.

Lastly... Carson is getting to the point where he understands where the pressure is going to come from and is learning to adjust accordingly.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

What? We have an possible OL problem after one injury? Hope there is no more.

Comment

Working...
                  X