No announcement yet.

Les Bowen has been reading my chit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any season where the Eagles have been among the leaders in TOP??????

And I still maintain that TOP is a fairly equal responsibility of the O and the D,,, and maybe even a little bit more on the D's shoulders than the O's.

The D's job is to get the ball either via stop or turnover back to the O, and preventing the other team from getting points.

The O's job, for the most part is to score points-- and then score more points-- and then score more points. And if they do it more efficiently(quickly) then IMO the D just needs to do their job and make stops, instead of allowing drives to continue due to mistakes and penalties.

Comment

not under Andy Reid

and while it is OK for some of the regular season, I think it costs a team later in the year and will prohibit one from winning a title. Something we still don't have

Comment

I know our DBs and LBs might get tired some if we lose the TOP battle but I say the biggest emphasis is the mark it makes on the DL. Don't get me wrong, I want to win the TOP battle but with our rotating D-line, I think losing the TOP game is not as significant in many respects.

Comment

Re: Les Bowen has been reading my chit!

Originally posted by dawkins20
          The Eagles ran for 150 yards Sunday, a misleading stat in that 71 of those yards came on one play, the Brian Westbrook touchdown gallop. Subtract two kneel-downs and they managed just 16 called running plays, to 33 passes attempted.
          The above quote is my biggest beef with his article. It angers me because proponents of sticking with the run will usually argue that you stick with the run because eventually you bust one big. But if you bust one big early it doesn't count?

I've done it myself, so I'm guilty here too, but it's not good argumentation to pretend like something didn't happen in order to make a point.
          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
            who said it was the offenses sole job to save the defense? I think what he is saying is that running so few times is keeping an already thin defense on the field too much.

I dunno. I'm surprised any Eagle fan is OK with the lack of dedication to the run.

Heck, all off-season we talked about Jackson being more of a mauler...about Herremans adding a nasty streak.

I'm as happy as anyone with our O moving the ball and scoring points. I'm just mad as hell that we get up 2 or more TD's that we still empty that backfield and pass. Especially with the D shorthanded.

and how can you blame the Westbrook fumble? Didn't you just say it was the defenses job to make stops?

IMHO it's an issue right now and one that most certainly cost us one game and could have cost us another if we played a better team.
            Why would you be angry that Reid is being aggressive and trying to score more points!?? That helps the D!! No team will catch up if we keep adding on...

Why would you be upset that he is attacking the defense where it is weakest with the tools our team is strongest in?? Is that not the logical way to score?? To win??

As MD and I said, it is the execution that can be blamed for any problems IMO....dropped passes, bad blocking, poor running, wrong routes, poor throws, bad blitz pickup, penalties etc....

The strategy, as it has always been, is to get a lead and unleash the defense while running more on offense, but also trying to add more points so we keep the pressure on...all 3 games have worked that way, but unfortunately in the Giants game the execution in the 4th quarter was pathetic...we did not score any points and the defense did not stop anybody...then the Giants got some lucky bounces and breaks...

Westy's fumble was on a running play in the 2nd half...which is what you and Les seem to be advocating with the assumption that running will prevent comebacks always...that fumble proves that assumption false since mistakes and poor execution can occur on any type of play and lead to points for the other team i.e. comebacks...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

ON a side note, I love how people say things along the lines of "But if you take away the 70+ yard TD run....they only ran for 80 yards."

Well, true. But how about if you DON'T take that away.

Comment

Dawk, not one to bang my head against the wall so I try not to jump in on some of these discussions, but I wholeheartedly agree. The birds don't seem to have the ability to (or Andy doesn't have the desire to) shut the game down with a grind it out drive when leading late in the game.
                Andy says he wants to run more or knows he has to run more or whatever. He has this big ass OL that people rant about being road graders. He has Buck, Tapeh, Mahe, or Moats (if you don't want to use Westbrook in that situation). But he doesn't seem to use it to run the game out.
                Who knows? Certainly his call but expect to be called on it by the talking heads and print guys.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

So injuries hurt us. No shit.

Comment

My two cents...

Running the clock via passing and via running isn't the same. Running implies a better probability of the clock not stopping due to incomplete passes or catching and getting out of bounds (either by getting tackled or pushed, or running out of room). Also, running is less risky for a turnover based on statistics - that is, Interceptions vs. Fumbles during a run. Of course, McNabb is generally a low turnover QB, which in our case probably running vs. fumbling in the run is pretty much a wash. However, running between the tackles usually keeps the clock going regardless.

However, with that said, when you are behind, you are playing the run because you want to stop the run and you expect the offense to run. You also want to force the offense into a passing game, where they'll likely eat less clock (See my post above).

In my opinion, Andy should just do what the defense gives him. Against the Giants, I think he tried to run the clock by running, but failed. Giants staffed 8 men close to the LOS, and they decided to take their chances since they didn't have anything to lose anyway. Where we failed in that game, is pure execution. You can't allow a fumble to be recovered in your endzone. You can't put the Giants twice in FG range because of Personal Fouls. You can't cover with Hanson and Wynn on jumpballs.

Heck, our costly mistake last week came from a running play when Westbrook fumbled.
                    "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

But aren't some of those screens to Westy the same as a run or am I drinking the kool-aid too much?

Comment

After 6 years, one would think the talking heads and print morons would understand and accept it especially when it keeps leading to wins...

Or at least moan and groan at home alone rather than whining out loud like they do endlessly...hopefully they serve cheese at the DN HQ...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by fanofthegame76
                          My two cents...

Running the clock via passing and via running isn't the same. Running implies a better probability of the clock not stopping due to incomplete passes or catching and getting out of bounds (either by getting tackled or pushed, or running out of room). Also, running is less risky for a turnover based on statistics - that is, Interceptions vs. Fumbles during a run. Of course, McNabb is generally a low turnover QB, which in our case probably running vs. fumbling in the run is pretty much a wash. However, running between the tackles usually keeps the clock going regardless.

However, with that said, when you are behind, you are playing the run because you want to stop the run and you expect the offense to run. You also want to force the offense into a passing game, where they'll likely eat less clock (See my post above).

In my opinion, Andy should just do what the defense gives him. Against the Giants, I think he tried to run the clock by running, but failed. Giants staffed 8 men close to the LOS, and they decided to take their chances since they didn't have anything to lose anyway. Where we failed in that game, is pure execution. You can't allow a fumble to be recovered in your endzone. You can't put the Giants twice in FG range because of Personal Fouls. You can't cover with Hanson and Wynn on jumpballs.

Heck, our costly mistake last week came from a running play when Westbrook fumbled.
                          Good post....Reid understands the concepts fine; he just disagrees and does it his way...he has consistently won so again I am not sure why people like Bowen do not take the broken record off the player and get a clue...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf
                            But aren't some of those screens to Westy the same as a run or am I drinking the kool-aid too much?
                            Only in the first 3 quarters...

-Andy Reid

Comment

I think they accept it. And moaning and groaning is what they do. But I'm just not sure they think wins is the only goal.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                                I think they accept it. And moaning and groaning is what they do. But I'm just not sure they think wins is the only goal.
                                You're right...selling papers is more important...

I do not believe they accept it...I think they are so stuck in the mantras of the past and will continue to whine regardless of how well Reid does because he did not win the way they think is right....

We are the #1 offense...is that not good enough?

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X