X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts

Picked up from the Eagles page....
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...a-06ae33507951

A couple of guys need contracts next year but I'm not sure any will be back breakers. The one that will cut deep is Wentz when he comes off his rookie deal. He is signed through 2019 but that is four years. Do first round picks have that 5th year option?
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

I think they do, at least the top 15 do. It's mind boggling how you have to juggle the books to hang onto players these days. The fact that we once again could get wiped out at wr isn't too comforting, and if Wentz is the real deal that will really throw a monkey wrench into the mess. I wonder if they have software to figure this stuff out?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I just found this ND:

Now, instead of each team having an allotment, each pick has a predetermined amount. In other words, a player and his agent know the exact dollar figures the moment he is drafted. They also know the length; every contract is for four years, with first-round picks subject to a team option for a fifth year, also at predetermined rates. As for salaries, the vast majority of drafted players have four years of non-guaranteed minimum salaries, accompanied by a signing bonus that’s not negotiated by the agent, but predetermined by the CBA.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Yes, 1st round picks have a team-option on the 5th year that, I believe needs to be exercised just prior to the 4th year. As an amusing side-note, you'll recall that the Eagles just politely declined Marcus Smith's optional 5th year a month or so ago.

Comment

Yes, first round picks are subject to the 5th year option. I think for the top 10 picks, where Wentz is, the salary would be the average of the top 10 QBs, so it's the same as putting a transitional tag on a player. I think that was around $19 million this year; probably over $20 in a couple more years.

For picks 11-32, it's the average of the third through 25th salaries at that position, so quite a bit lower.

Comment

yea I remember the birds didn't exercise the option on Smith. Guess I just didn't recall him being first round---who could blame me
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              yea I remember the birds didn't exercise the option on Smith. Guess I just didn't recall him being first round---who could blame me
              I've been doing my best to forget!
              Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Working...
              X