• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Snyder keeps the laughs coming...

Little payoff from Redskins' investments
    Associated Press
    Posted: 2 hours ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - The Washington Redskins invested a lot to obtain Brandon Lloyd, T.J. Duckett and David Patten.

So far, they've yet to get much in return.

Lloyd has six catches in five games. Duckett has played in only one game. Patten was inactive for the first time in his career last week. For various reasons, none of the three has found a groove in Washington.

The Redskins sent two draft picks to San Francisco for Lloyd in March, then signed him to a long-term contract extension. Last year, he was the best receiver on a bad team. Now he's having trouble getting open and getting the ball on a team with higher expectations.

"That's hard to explain," coach Joe Gibbs said. "He's out there, he's on every route. He's playing a ton, and probably when we're really operating, he's going to be getting the ball."

Lloyd is on pace to catch 19 passes for the entire season, far from what is expected from the No. 2 receiver in any offense. He said he's adjusted well to the new scheme, but he's also had to adjust to playing in an offense that relies heavily on running back Clinton Portis and fellow receiver Santana Moss.

"I can think of two numbers that need to be called before my number," Lloyd said. "To make this team as successful as it was last year, the playmakers on this team last year need to get the touches before I do, so I'm not in a position to say anything. I'm not in a position to pout. I'm not in a position to be frustrated, because that's not going to help me when my number gets called."

That explanation doesn't mesh with the fact that Antwaan Randle El, the No. 3 wideout, already has 14 receptions with less playing time. Lloyd's slow start does, however, reflect the offense's inconsistency as a whole. The Redskins (2-3) had two explosive victories over Houston and Jacksonville, but the offense has scored only one touchdown in the other three games combined.

The way to stop the Redskins, if the first five weeks of the season are any indication, is to have the cornerbacks and safeties play the deep "Cover 2" zone. The receivers have become so sick of seeing it that Moss this week started to belittle defenses for using it.

"Cover 2, you don't have to do much. That ain't being a great pass defense," Moss said. "I've never played corner before, but I'll be a phenomenal corner in Cover 2."

The Redskins have tried to beat the zone with runs and short passes, but they can't keep their drives alive. The offense is only 6-for-13 in converting third downs with three yards or fewer to go. As a result, they ran only 45 plays in last week's 19-3 loss to the New York Giants.

"The receivers are a lot more difficult to get involved than a running back," assistant coach Al Saunders said. "A running back, you can hand them the ball. The receivers, you've got to throw the ball to them. It involves protection, it involves routes, it involves what the coverage is, it involves accurate throws."

At least Lloyd is getting a chance to make an impact. Duckett and Patten can't even get on the field.

The Redskins traded the equivalent of a third-round pick - the exact compensation will be determined after the season - to get Duckett from Atlanta, a move that smacked of panic because Portis had just gone down with a shoulder injury during preseason.

But Portis already had a backup, Ladell Betts. Even when Portis missed a game, Duckett was able to get only five carries for 24 yards. Otherwise, he hasn't played.

Gibbs keeps saying how badly he feels for the five-year veteran, but the coach said the trade was worth the price.

"That question wouldn't have been asked of me if Clinton had been out three straight games," Gibbs said. "Everyone would say, 'You fumbled that one, didn't you?"'

Patten signed a $13 million, five-year contract as a free agent last year with expectations of being a No. 1 receiver after being part of an ensemble group in New England. He had only 22 catches in 2005 before injuring his knee in November, and the Redskins swatted him down the depth chart in the offseason when they signed Lloyd and Randle El. He has one catch this year for 25 yards.

Patten is 32. Duckett is 25. Neither expected to be a bench-warmer at this point in his career. To their credit, neither has publicly complained.

"It's been an experience, but that's part of the job," Duckett said. "You just prepare and prepare, and when your opportunity comes, take advantage of it."

Said Patten: "Everybody wants to play, everybody wants to suit up, but the bottom line is you're part of a team. You have roles that you have to fill and perform. My role (Sunday) was to be sort of a cheerleader from the sidelines."

www.disciplerocks.com

"He's out there, he's on every route. He's playing a ton, and probably when we're really operating, he's going to be getting the ball."

* In all seriousness this is the real problem. Talent is talent but the Redskins overhaul things every damn offseason and bring in new people/coaches/players etc. constantly and it takes half the season to get themselves right.

It's mind boggling and they throw away the first 6-8 games for the most part.

Stupid model. But I'm not complaining. :P
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I heard Bill Curry on the ESPN radio last week and he had a comment that was interesting.

(For those that don't know, here's his background...

* 17 years experience as a collegiate head coach (Kentucky (1990-96), Alabama (1987-89), Georgia Tech (1980-86).
      * Led Alabama to the SEC title in 1989.
      * Named ACC Coach of the Year (1985), SEC Coach of the Year (1987 and 1989), and the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year (1989).

Playing Career

* Played from 1965-1974 for the Green Bay Packers under the legendary Vince Lombardi, Houston Oilers, Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Rams, and was an All-Pro center with the Colts in 1971 and 1972.
      * A 1965 Georgia Tech graduate with a degree in industrial management, Curry also starred for the Yellow Jackets football squad from 1963-64.

He said, paraphrasing, that at the end of an NFL game, you didn't want to block anymore, you were exhausted, most every part of your body was in pain, you just wanted to sit down....but "I'd look to my left and I'd see so-and-so (I can't remember who he said) and I wouldn't dare do anything to let him down, and I'd look to my right and I'd see so-and-so (again I can't remember who he said) and I'd do anything for him and it would kill me to let him down - or any of my other team mates. You don't feel that way when you are on a team full of people who you barely know or have hardly played with. I am always surprised when people don't understand why certain teams who have been together for a long time continuly outperform others with more talent. Talent only gets you so far, but when the game really matters it's having guys who will do anything not to let down the teammates that they love that are going to win."

That sounds like the philosophy of our Eagles. I remember someone on this board made a list of the # of players on the Eagles' roster who started their career here, and then compared it to the Redskins. It was something like 38 Eagles vs. 14 Redskins. So is it any wonder that the Eagles are more consistently successful than the Skins are?

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
        I remember someone on this board made a list of the # of players on the Eagles' roster who started their career here, and then compared it to the Redskins. It was something like 38 Eagles vs. 14 Redskins. So is it any wonder that the Eagles are more consistently successful than the Skins are?
        http://forums.sportscolumn.com/viewt...ns+draft+picks

It was 43 Iggle players started their career here with 16 starters drafted. The SKins had only 6 starters drafted and another 8 backups drafted. That's 14, but I don't know how many UFA's they have, which is probably one or two.

Your Curry post is point on. Just take a look at Trotter. Not only did the system not fit him, but he did not have the fire since he just felt like an average Joe there. And that was something that Shawn Barber told me a few years ago. That the players felt no loyalty to the org since they hated all the turnover (he inlcuded Arrington in that). How much do you fight on when you don't know the guy next to you or you hate the owner?
        Pedro

Comment

Working...
        X