Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGN: CBA Gets Approved By Narrow Margin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGN: CBA Gets Approved By Narrow Margin.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ys-free-agency

Some pretty important news: enough NFL players voted to ratify the collective bargaining agreement proposal that owners approved last month. Here’s a look at what this means for the Philadelphia Eagles and the league
    Thankfully, there will be no lockout in 2021. The new CBA is set to last through the 2030 season.

The NFL playoffs will expand to seven teams per conference (previously six) in 2020.

The NFL can expand the regular season to 17 games. That’s expected to be implemented starting in 2022. It can happen in 2021 at the soonest.

The Eagles can now designate Alshon Jeffery as a post-June 1 cut, thus increasing the chances the team moves on from him this offseason. As previously explained:
    Some have been reluctant to believe the Eagles will actually release Jeffery. Cutting him to create $26 million in dead money is no minor deal. In fact, it’d be the largest individual dead money charge in NFL history. But the Eagles might be able to cut Jeffery without being on the hook for all $26 million in 2020. If a new CBA comes together — and it’s worth noting NFL owners have approved the terms of such a deal — there could be an option to designate Jeffery as a post-June 1 release. The Eagles would be able to “only” incur a dead million charge of ~$16.7 million in 2020, preventing them from losing ~$10 million in cap space this offseason.

The Dallas Cowboys can’t rely on using both the franchise tag and the transition tag now.

As previously explained:

The Byron Jones angle isn’t the only reason why it’ll be interesting to see how the Cowboys handle the tagging window. It’d be most ideal for Dallas’s sake to work out long-term contract extensions with both Prescott and Cooper. But the fact that those deals haven’t been done yet suggests the players are asking the Cowboys for prices that are higher than what Dallas is super comfortable paying. The Eagles will be rooting for the Cowboys to end up having to tag Prescott so he accounts for a big chunk of cap space. And the longer Dallas waits to give Prescott a long-term extension, the more his price tag increases. The Cowboys are likely going to have to pay him more than what Carson Wentz got despite the fact that Philly’s quarterback is the better player. And the more the Cowboys pay to Prescott means the less they can spend on the team around him.

It still remains to be seen if the start of legal tampering and NFL free agency scheduled for this week will be delayed or not. In the meantime, at least we have clarity on the rules in place for whenever the new league years begins.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/players-...ment-proposal/

UPDATE: The new CBA will indeed (reportedly) include June 1 designations.
    UPDATE No. 2: The 17-game schedule won't begin until at least 2021. The 14-team playoff will begin in 2020.
    UPDATE No. 3: The 2020 salary cap will be $198.2 million. OverTheCap.com has the Eagles with $41,800,800 in cap space on a projected cap of $200,000,000. With a cap of $198,200,000, according to OverTheCap's numbers, the Eagles' cap number would be $40,000,800.

Comment

Impact on retirees:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...etired-players

“The proposed CBA includes major improvements that we at NFL Alumni sought for many months from owners and the union,” reads a statement on the NFL Alumni web site. “The document includes higher pensions—some by as much as 60 percent– for all alumni; a reduction in pension requirements from four to three vested seasons for all alumni; and a $50,000 Health Reimbursement Account for all vested players who previously had not been eligible due to their retirement date.”

According to the NFL Alumni, average pensions for players will go from $30,000 per year to $46,000 per year, and more than 10,000 former players will realize that benefit.

The change from four years of credited seasons to three to become vested for a pension provides a $19,800 annual pension for life for former players with three years of NFL service but not four. That figure is expected to increase to $22,000 in 2025 based on expected annual NFL revenue growth. That affects an estimated 3,000 retired players.

According to NFL Alumni, retired players 65 or older will see a 25 percent increase in their Medicare supplement benefit.
      Also, according to the release from NFL Player, the new CBA calls for “all retired players to receive free or low-cost screenings, preventive care, mental health services and orthopedic care at a new national network of top hospitals created by the owners and the union.”

All of this is crucial considering what we've learned in recent years about the long-term physical and mental affects of playing football.

Comment

I am not a fan of increasing playoff teams. I would much rather see additional weeks added tot he season (although I think any added time is tough on players). You add a playoff team or game and that impacts one or two teams playing an added game. You add a week and every fan gets to watch their team another time. Personally, they could do away with one preseason game and the wild card weekend in order to give me two more weeks of Philadelphia Eagle football.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

#4-Jeffery isn't going anywhere if he's healthy.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60, you keep hanging on to that and I have said for a long time I think he goes. The only thing keeping him around is that contract IMM.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              #4-Jeffery isn't going anywhere if he's healthy.
              I hope that you're right, but that choice ultimately falls to the FO. When I post these, I'm not lobbying for his ouster. I personally have no knowledge whatsoever of any discord or lack thereof in the locker room. Therefore I presume nothing. However, this thing keeps lingering around. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                60, you keep hanging on to that and I have said for a long time I think he goes. The only thing keeping him around is that contract IMM.

Most likely. That's why I think he's not going anywhere.

Comment

Sorry that I jumped your thread TP. There's no way that I can delete it. The best thing about the contract is that it goes for another 11 years and both me and the next one will be expiring about the same time so I won't have to worry about it.

Comment

I saw the cap number is $43 million and I now believe they are going to cut Alshon outright if they can't trade him. I think they would like to see if they could deal him and a pick to a team with a ton of cap space like maybe the Colts who have familiarity with AJ.

You could package a third round pick and AJ to the Colts for a sixth or seventh coming back just to unload his salary.

Other than that, I think they will target Byron Jones but I think he is going to sign elsewhere because he is going to be CRAZY expensive. And frankly I hope we let him go.

I think Mills and McLeod are likely to be back and I think Jenkins will be paid. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradham back on a deal that is better for the Birds.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                    X