Let's take a look at dem Saints...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's take a look at dem Saints...

I don't think you'd have too many people who thought dem Saints would be 4-1 at this point. They seem to be an overachieving group.

Who have dey played?
    WK1 NO 19, Cle 14
    WK2 NO 34, GB 27
    WK3 NO 23, ATL 3
    WK4 CAR 21, NO 18
    WK5 NO 24, TB 21

Cleveland is a bad team. GB is a bad team. They got ATL for the dome reopening. (I don't think the 85 bears could have won that game) Lost to Carolina, and got taken to the wire by a TB club that has some serious issues. I don't want to go so far as to call the Saints frauds, but I don't think they are as good as their record indicates.

Some stats...

Total offense NO 7th at 350.6 yards per game. 38.2 % on third down. 9th in points per game (23.6). 14th in rushing with 111.2 yards per game. 7th in passing at 239.4 per game.

On defense 13th in total yards per game at 306. 23rd against the rush at 123.8. 10th against the pass at 189 per game. 10th in points at 17.2.

Overall, the Birds seem to have an edge on offense. They are the #1 offense in the league right now, and they haven't figured out how to run the ball yet. NO's offense is pretty good though.

On defense the Birds are giving up more yards, and slightly more points. (19.4)

I watched the Saints on replay last night, and while they aren't the doormat I thought they'd be when the schedule came out, if the Eagles don't suffer from a major post Dallas victory hangover, they should win this game.

I do think NO's coaching staff is doing a great job, and as I've noted Payton always seems to have a good gameplan against JJ. That being said, I honestly don't think a defense with the talent level to have to rely on people like Hollis and Simoneau can stop 5 and co. Look for the birds to light these guys up, and give them a reality check.

of course they're not as good as their record. but they are fueled on emotion right now, especially in the home games. that was a very emotional game against Atlanta.

that should ebb over the next few weeks, it's very difficult to sustain.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Actually that level of emotional play can actually hurt them if they try toplay that way for too long!

Comment

The Saints aren't as big of a fraud as the Rams but they shouldn't be in the same class as the Eagles. Despite my earlier worries about an Eagles emotional letdown, I'm looking forward to a nice ass whoopin this weekend.

Comment

Given all the suffering those people have been through, I would like to see the Saints do well.

But not this week. It's time to give them a serious reality check. You're not yet contenders boys.

Comment

Good stuff EB...couple of observations/questions

They just lost one of their starting safety for the season so their pass defense will be impacted...Favre and the Pack scored 27 on them mostly from the air...Frye, Vick, Delhomme and Grabowski do not scare any secondary, but Eagles are the tops and should shred them via the pass IMO...

How have we not figured out how to run the ball yet? We are currently 6th in the NFC for rushing attack averaging about 114 yards per game...Westy has a high average for ypc, McNabb is running more than ever, we have scored 7 rushing TD...?

We should be able to shred them via the run too...

Brees is a very good play action QB when his run game is operating...remember last year when we shut down LT, San Diego's offense did zero...in the 2nd half when they had more success, Brees was able to burn us on play action for TD...

I expect a very similar plan here....we shut down Deuce/Bush, Brees will be running for his life and the offense will do nada...if we let them run, then Brees can improvise off that success and burn us...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

against two rugged divisional opponents, the running game was total shite. against three softies, it was pretty good.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

OFFENSE
                WR - 12 Colston, Marques  Point: PUSH vs. 18 Donté Stallworth Point: PUSH
                LT - 70 Brown, Jammal  Point: 1 vs. 72 William Thomas Point: 0
                LG - 67 Nesbit, Jamar  Point: 0 vs. 79 Todd Herremans Point: 1
                C - 52 Faine, Jeff  Point: 0 vs. 67 Jamaal Jackson Point: 1
                RG - 73 Evans, Jahri  Point: 0 vs. 73 Shawn Andrews Point: 1
                RT - 78 Stinchcomb, Jon  Point: PUSH vs. 69 Jon Runyan Point: PUSH
                TE - 85 Conwell, Ernie  Point: 0 vs. 82 L.J. Smith Point: 1
                WR - 87 Horn, Joe  Point: 0 vs. 86 Reggie Brown Point: 1
                QB - 9 Brees, Drew  Point: 0 vs. 5 Donovan McNabb Point: 1
                RB - 26 McAllister, Deuce  Point: PUSH vs. 36 Brian Westbrook Point: PUSH
                FB - 44 Karney, Mike  Point: PUSH vs. 38 Thomas Tapeh Point: PUSH
                DEFENSE
                LDE - 94 Grant, Charles  Point: PUSH vs. 58 Trent Cole Point: PUSH
                NT - 99 Thomas, Hollis  Point: 0 vs. 98 Mike Patterson Point: 1
                DT - 66 Young, Brian  Point: 0 vs. 97 Darwin Walker Point: 1
                RDE - 91 Smith, Will  Point: 0 vs. 90 Darren Howard Point: 1
                SLB - 55 Fujita, Scott  Point: 1 vs. 55 Dhani Jones Point: 0
                MLB - 53 Simoneau, Mark  Point: 0 vs. 54 Jeremiah Trotter Point: 1
                WLB - 58 Shanle, Scott  Point: PUSH vs. 51 Matt McCoy Point: PUSH
                LCB - 34 McKenzie, Mike  Point: 0 vs. 24 Sheldon Brown Point: 1
                RCB - 22 Thomas, Fred  Point: 0 vs. 26 Lito Sheppard Point: 1
                SS - 23 Stoutmire, Omar  Point: 0 vs. 32 Michael Lewis Point: 1
                FS - 29 Bullocks, Josh  Point: 0 vs. 20 Brian Dawkins Point: 1
                SPECIAL TEAMS
                P - 7 Weatherford, Steve  Point: 1 vs. 8 Dirk Johnson Point: 0
                K - 3 Carney, John  Point: 1 vs. 2 David Akers Point: 0
                PR - 25 Bush, ReggiePoint: 1 vs. 31 Dexter Wynn Point: 0
                KR - 18 Copper, Terrance  Point: PUSH vs. 31 Dexter Wynn Point: PUSH

Total:
                SAINTS - 5 Points
                EAGLES - 14 Points

* Thoughts? This obviously doesn't consider Reggie Bush since he's not technically on the offensive depth chart - but man - it seems lopsided.
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Big emotional win for us last week. Saints will be hoping for a letdown.
                  "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                  — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                  - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Good work EB, it's nice to see the stats all layed out there for you.
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose
                      against two rugged divisional opponents, the running game was total shite. against three softies, it was pretty good.
                      In the Giants game, Eagles rushed for 107 yards and 1 TD on 30 carries/attempts...

That is hardly shite...

Against Dallas, we were held to 50 yards rushing on 18 attempts, but scored 2 TD...again hardly shite IMO...

We are not terrible running the ball.
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

[quote=Vote for Kalas]
                        Originally posted by "Leonard Tose":615f8
                        In the Giants game, Eagles rushed for 107 yards and 1 TD on 30 carries/attempts...

That is hardly shite...

Against Dallas, we were held to 50 yards rushing on 18 attempts, but scored 2 TD...again hardly shite IMO...

We are not terrible running the ball.[/quote:615f8]

it was shite against the Giants. they coughed up a big lead because they couldnt run the ball in the second half.

and you can't be serious about dallas. there was maybe one decent run all day, i recall a 12-yard burst by bucky. and that was it.

Are the Eagles terrible at running the ball? No, probably not. Does Big Red have the will to establish a credible running game on any given Sunday. Very rarely.

Comment

[quote=Leonard Tose][quote="Vote for Kalas":2ff93]
                          Originally posted by "Leonard Tose":2ff93

That is hardly shite...

We are not terrible running the ball.[/quote:2ff93]

it was shite against the Giants. they coughed up a big lead because they couldnt run the ball in the second half.

and you can't be serious about dallas. there was maybe one decent run all day, i recall a 12-yard burst by bucky. and that was it.

Are the Eagles terrible at running the ball? No, probably not. Does Big Red have the will to establish a credible running game on any given Sunday. Very rarely.[/quote:2ff93]

Totally agree with Leonard. The Eagles are having difficulty salting these games away, because they can't run the football well enough to burn the clock. They couldn't run the ball in the second half against the Giants. If they could have, no way do they lose that game. They couldn't run it against the Cowboys either. Hell, Reid doesn't even trust his ground game enough to get a half a yard on 3rd or 4th down. This inability to run and control some clock has already burned us once, I hope it doesn't burn us in the playoffs.

And Vote, for God's sake, I know you are about as pro-Eagles as one can get, but if you think the Eagles are good at rushing the football, you are definitely in a distinct minority.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                            OFFENSE
                            WR - 12 Colston, Marques Point: PUSH vs. 18 Donté Stallworth Point: PUSH
                            LT - 70 Brown, Jammal Point: 1 vs. 72 William Thomas Point: 0
                            LG - 67 Nesbit, Jamar Point: 0 vs. 79 Todd Herremans Point: 1
                            C - 52 Faine, Jeff Point: 0 vs. 67 Jamaal Jackson Point: 1
                            RG - 73 Evans, Jahri Point: 0 vs. 73 Shawn Andrews Point: 1
                            RT - 78 Stinchcomb, Jon Point: PUSH vs. 69 Jon Runyan Point: PUSH
                            TE - 85 Conwell, Ernie Point: 0 vs. 82 L.J. Smith Point: 1
                            WR - 87 Horn, Joe Point: 0 vs. 86 Reggie Brown Point: 1
                            QB - 9 Brees, Drew Point: 0 vs. 5 Donovan McNabb Point: 1
                            RB - 26 McAllister, Deuce Point: PUSH vs. 36 Brian Westbrook Point: PUSH
                            FB - 44 Karney, Mike Point: PUSH vs. 38 Thomas Tapeh Point: PUSH
                            DEFENSE
                            LDE - 94 Grant, Charles Point: PUSH vs. 58 Trent Cole Point: PUSH
                            NT - 99 Thomas, Hollis Point: 0 vs. 98 Mike Patterson Point: 1
                            DT - 66 Young, Brian Point: 0 vs. 97 Darwin Walker Point: 1
                            RDE - 91 Smith, Will Point: 0 vs. 90 Darren Howard Point: 1
                            SLB - 55 Fujita, Scott Point: 1 vs. 55 Dhani Jones Point: 0
                            MLB - 53 Simoneau, Mark Point: 0 vs. 54 Jeremiah Trotter Point: 1
                            WLB - 58 Shanle, Scott Point: PUSH vs. 51 Matt McCoy Point: PUSH
                            LCB - 34 McKenzie, Mike Point: 0 vs. 24 Sheldon Brown Point: 1
                            RCB - 22 Thomas, Fred Point: 0 vs. 26 Lito Sheppard Point: 1
                            SS - 23 Stoutmire, Omar Point: 0 vs. 32 Michael Lewis Point: 1
                            FS - 29 Bullocks, Josh Point: 0 vs. 20 Brian Dawkins Point: 1
                            SPECIAL TEAMS
                            P - 7 Weatherford, Steve Point: 1 vs. 8 Dirk Johnson Point: 0
                            K - 3 Carney, John Point: 1 vs. 2 David Akers Point: 0
                            PR - 25 Bush, ReggiePoint: 1 vs. 31 Dexter Wynn Point: 0
                            KR - 18 Copper, Terrance Point: PUSH vs. 31 Dexter Wynn Point: PUSH

Total:
                            SAINTS - 5 Points
                            EAGLES - 14 Points

* Thoughts? This obviously doesn't consider Reggie Bush since he's not technically on the offensive depth chart - but man - it seems lopsided.
                            two quick things BP. Stallworth isn't gonna play so you might want to revise that. also, I think Akers is better than Carney

Comment

Thanks for the preview EB.

On defense, I'd expect to see a lot of McAllister peppered with short passes.
                              Brees has been completing 2/3 passes and has been effective, albeit against pretty mediocre defenses, excluding Atlanta. The Eagles pass defense has been our weakest link so far. Maybe we'll play a solid game. Seeing how JJ tries to cover Bush will be interesting. I'd like to see more of Barber this week.

On offense, I have not seen much of the Saints D and don't know what to expect. I'd expect to see Reid take a few shots at their replacement safety. I'd also like to see some more development of a running game, especially Moats and Tapeh getting some carries.

Should be an interesting game

Comment

Working...
                              X