The Real Problems with this team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Problems with this team

I love the game of football I played it until I couldn't play anymore and have been a student of the game for a long time much the same as all of you. I have to say I have never seen a team crash and burn like this team has crashed and burned over the course of the last two years. However we probably should have seen this coming. This is an undisciplined team. It was undisciplined in 2017 to. They gave up big plays in 2017, just like they did in 2018 and have done this year on defense. They committed stupid penalties just like they did in 2017. They get more than their fair share of injuries just like in 2017 and 2018. However, the big difference is this, they made plays to get themselves out of the holes they dug themselves the guys who made plays in 2017 can't seem to make plays now. To me is coming down to this, fundamentally this team can not catch the ball on both sides of the ball, they commit stupid penalties at the worst opportune time on both sides of the ball. They very rarely make a nice play one that you tip your cap to them like say Devante Parker yesterday. You all blame the QB for everyone. Fine that cool but you are really missing the real issues here and its much deeper than one player even if it is the QB.

Case in point, Atlanta game, Game they should have won, Defense shits the bed on a 4th down because Schwartz who rarely blitz's thinks he is smart and Blitz's, Veteran QB laughs at him steps back and throws a screen to Julio Jones, a couple of blocks in the back latter and they are winning the game with less than two minutes. Not to be outdone, The offense comes on to the field precedes to start a drive, a perfectly thrown ball down the sideline that wins the game is dropped. A professional NFL receiver must catch that ball. So instead of winning the game we lose it because we can't make a play when it counts. Instead we hear after the game how Carson missed a throw on a screen pass in the 2nd quarter that could have gained 3 yards. I don't know about you all, but I lived for the moment to say catch a ball to win a game at the end. These guys seem to be afraid of it.

Now move onto the Detroit game. Eagles are banged up at WR but JJAW some how gets himself open right around the goal line, Gets two hands on the ball and just drops it. Perfect thrown ball again. After the game Carson throw high to X receiver in the beginning of the 3rd quarter its all his fault. Again this game featured a plethora of penalties that stalled drives and of course featured injuries galore.

Now onto the Seattle game, neither QB plays well in this game no doubt Carson didn't play well, However, game on the line he throws a perfect pass to Nelson Agholor who couldn't track a ball in the air with a tracking dog, gets his body all contorted instead of just keep running balls clanks off his hands, no chance to tie the game.

Then yesterday, Defense once again shitting the bed as they so often do against veteran QB who can see through Schwartz scheme, Wentz puts a ball right on Ertz hands hits him in stride if he catches it he most likely scores if not they are at like the 1 yard line. Ertz drops it. We go on to miss the field goal. Two drives later another perfect throw, hits Ertz in the hands, he fails to secure it and we settle for a FG when we really needed a TD, oh and we had to run an extra play there so that took more time off the clock. All we hear after the game is how Wentz missed Alshon on the sidelines

Is Wentz perfect no, but no QB is. Is he starting to get indicisive yes he is but wouldn't you if you continually put your team in a position to win games and they drop the ball, commit penalties etc.

This team needs a heart transplant. It starts with Doug and the coaches. At minimum both coordinators need go. We need to run the ball more than 19 times. Somebody needs to be held accountable for that We need to get rid of one of the Tight Ends and turn that into a few more receivers. Since we have been running this 12 personnel the last two years we have stalled as an offense. We need a new secondary. None of those players should be back. We need help at linebacker. Most of all we need to make plays when they are presented to us. Maimi stinks like feet yet when they had a chance to make plays they did. What did we do, we dropped two TD's, dropped a sure int. committed penalties when we should have been off the field on defense.
    This game was a microcosm of the season. Doug needs to start holding these guys more accountable for there mistakes. QB included. Until he does this team will not be anything more than a 5-6 win team.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

This game was a microcosm of the season.
    Certainly agree with that. I posted a 'knives are out thread' and agree on putting blame on Wentz. I was on Wentz before anyone in Philly ever heard of him and I criticized him a few weeks back at least as early as anyone. But you can't put this all on him. He had, and still has, franchise QB talent.
    I always told my troops I can be friends with troops but I can not be buddies with troops. Andy got close to players in Philly and after SB Doug got close to players. Both I think to the point where it becomes an impediment. You don't ever hear of Billichick getting that close to his players. Doug needs to make sure players know this is their job and do your job or you will go.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Read somewhere (Peter King?) that the Eagles are .500 since winning it all 22 months ago.

Sorry if I'm belaboring the obvious: The departure of Reich and DeFilippo may have something to do with the offense's issues, coupled with injuries. Doesn't explain why the team drifted away from running when it appeared to work. I guess that if you want to offer the WRs an opportunity for some sort of redemption, you must throw to them...

Maybe DeFilippo was more central to Wentz's development than I believed.
      I also think that the offensive shortcomings are a big reason for Wentz pressing so much.

Schwartz didn't adjust the scheme. I think that is a tacit recognition that he doesn't really have the horses to make the scheme work the way he wants it to. That said, he should have TRIED at least.

Comment

From Kempski:

7) The 'Shoot Self in Foot' Award: The Eagles' game-changing penalties
        The Eagles had 10 penalties for 91 yards. Many of them either extended Dolphins drives, or stalled Eagles drives. What's one way to lose to a 2-9 team? Yep, commit a lot of dumb penalties.

Comment

I think overwhelmingly the issue with this team and this FanBase is this:

We were desperate for a Super Bowl. The most desperate FanBase for a championship ever. And we finally got one and we all took a HUGE breath.

We now are collectively and slowly waking up to the reality that we want another one and we think we still have a lot of the pieces that we need to win another one. And we do.

But... we have whiffed on some key acquisitions and we have had an unparalleled amount of injuries the past 2 seasons.

Against Atlanta we lost our 2 top WRs in the first quarter and that led to that loss.

Against Detroit our second round pick which looks like a very good pick fumbled the ball early and our top WR at least in that game Aggy fumbled the ball. Parcells one time said for every rookie you start you are going to lose a game. JJAW and Sanders made sure we lost against Detroit.

And then against Dallas and Minnesota our secondary and defense was banged up and not up to the task.

Yes... this is a heart issue too but it is an injury and rookie issue as well that led to 2 early losses.

I think as a FanBase yesterday was the last gasp of soaking up the Super Bowl win. At least 20k Eagles fans spent hard earned money to travel to Miami and got handed that loss.

The good will is now gone and so is the emotional attachment to some of these guys.

It would not surprise me a bit to see Malcolm Jenkins, JP, Kelce, Ertz, McLeod, and several corners that played in the Super Bowl cut loose this year. And JP being gone is a given.

That will be the heart transplant this team needs because I'm gonna tell you. Dillard, Sanders, Goedert, Malik Jackson, and a few others are going to be hungry next year. And Carson is HUNGRY AS HELL to prove that he can be the guy.

So on to next year. I hope we lose out actually and go 5-11. We need to be further humbled.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

One other thing I will say about Doug is that you can not stand there and say that is a good football team over there. I know full well they are all professionals and that any team can beat any team on a given day. But saying Miami is a good football team takes away all of your credibility. You don't want to get beat up then call it like it is. You don't have to say they are crap but don't say they are a good football team.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Please stop this notion that people are blaming Wentz for ALL of this crap!!! No one is, or has that I read anyhow!!!

But he in fact does get some blame cause he has sucked also! Yes it is an organizational thing, we all agree, but to try and shield Wentz is just wrong. He is "the man", he gets the atta boyz when things go good and he has to take some of the blame when things go bad. Just like McNabb had to.

This is not the same guy we saw early on before the injuries... he just isn't. It shows in his accuracy, his hesitation, his decison making.... his execution.

Comment

I don't think Wentz is the main problem, but he has not been great.

Doug's refusal to rely on the running game is driving me fucking nuts. The Eagles run the football well when he calls for it, which simply isn't enough. Miles Sanders averaged 4.9 yards a carry. They gave it to him 17 times. They rushed 19 times overall.

Penalties and execution and playcalling. MD, you and I like to argue about the importance of playcalling versus execution, but in this case they both suck.

The Eagles really miss DJax. They can't stretch the field, and they simply don't make big plays. They give up a bunch of big plays, but they make very few. They have opportunities for big plays, but the generally either drop them outright, or Wentz misses open guys. One or the other.

They're just a bad football team overall, and even when they are reasonably healthy they can't beat a 2-9 team in a game they desperately need to get on track.

Comment

Playmakers. All those teams had them. We don’t.

Could any of you see one of our WRs making contested catches like Devante Parker did over and over again? The catch the Seahawks receiver made? Julios play? Marvin Jones play.

We are a 5-10 yard pass team with no threat to make plays.

Sorry, it’s what we are.

Thank God Wentz danced for a few mins to finally get JJAW magically open.

That and the TE screen seems to be our only go to

Comment

Paridise Lost

Injuries, injuries, injuries. Did I mention injuries? We put up over 30 points yesterday because Alshon played and made 2 great catches. This after putting up 19 in the last 2 weeks. You simply can't make up for the talent that we lost this year. We get one game out of the best deep threat in football and then he's done for the year. Then we start dropping like flies and replacements start making mistakes and a lack of comfidence spreads like wildfire throughout the team.

I'll tell you one other thing. Miami sure looked like a good football team to me yesterday. They're coming. I think that Doug's quote may have come from an answer to a question by a reporter but I'm guessing.

All of the above posts are true and I'm not criticizing any of them. I first I got real worried about this team in OTAs when we had at least 10 guys not practicing and it continued into TC. This season was friekin doomed this year before it even started.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Eagle60 all due respect, I can not use the injury excuse. They were as healthy as they have been since game 1 on Sunday. There problem is they just are not making plays when they need to be made, they are dropping the damn ball, they are comitting stupid penalties. They are not executing like they had over the past few years. They are what they are a bad football team.

The problem I have though is this. Jalen Mills, Ronald Darby, Tim Jernigan, and Zach Ertz all played in that Super Bowl stretch run Mills didn't give up TD's in the red zone, Darby didn't get beat on jump balls, Jernigan didn't play with his head up his ass and committing three very stupid penalties, all three on third downs that gave the Dolphins first downs.

WHY IS THIS TEAM MAKING SO MANY MISTAKES IN YEAR FOUR OF THIS PROGRAM. If you can find the answer to that then you will find the answer to the reason why this team is struggling.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Which qb is which?

Stat QB 1 QB2
                        GP 11 12
                        Comp% 61.6 62.4
                        Y/Comp 6.4 6.5
                        Y/Game 216 237
                        TDs 18 20
                        Ints 11 7
                        Sacks 33 30
                        QBR 51.4 64.3
                        Rating 84 90

Sorry about the formatting. I can't get the spaces to work to make it easier to read. One of these is your Philadelphia Eagles QB and the other is a rookie QB in division who also has a lack of talent at wide receiver and a much worse offensive line.

Comment

Working...
                        X