Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to admit it's a great name

Dwayne Haskins supports one potential new Redskins nickname

Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins has a preference if the Redskins change their name, Mollie Walker of the New York Post reports.

“I like the red tails,” the second-year quarterback tweeted Friday.

“That’s if we have to change the name. Now out my mentions,” Haskins wrote in a follow-up tweet.

Following pressure from fans and sponsors, the Redskins are expected to change their nickname from the term many consider to be a racist slur against Native Americans. The team said Friday it was undergoing a “thorough review” of the team’s name, a big step for the organization whose owner Dan Snyder said in 2013 that he would “never” change the team’s name.

The “Red Tails” nickname has become a popular choice on social media and a potential logo design won a prize in an unofficial fan contest a few years ago, as people have been calling on the franchise to change the name for years.

The Red Tails were a group of Tuskegee Airman, all-black fighter pilots during World War II, before the legal desegregation of the military, who painted the backs of their planes. The team has indicated it would like to honor the military with its next name.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The ‘Red Tails’ is the perfect name for that bunch of smacked asses!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Used to work for a guy whose dad was a Tuskegee Airman. Absolute privilege to have known both father and son. Not sure the name needs changing - I like foreskins just fine - but Red Tails is awesome.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Even though that might be one of the greatest names for a team that I've ever heard of, especially because this whole name change is over race, Snyder will fuck it up. I heard today on WEEI that that moron likes the name "Warriors".

Now another cool name is The Dayton "Flyers". Does anybody know why they are called the flyers?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Even though that might be one of the greatest names for a team that I've ever heard of, especially because this whole name change is over race, Snyder will fuck it up. I heard today on WEEI that that moron likes the name "Warriors".

Now another cool name is The Dayton "Flyers". Does anybody know why they are called the flyers?
          Because the Wright Brothers bicycle shop was in Dayton, Ohio. That's also the origin of the name for "Wright-Patterson Air Force Base", which is near Dayton. I always thought they kind of got the short end of the stick with that AFB name. They had the first powered flight of an airplane, and yet have to share their base name with some other dude?

Comment

Originally posted by FearTheDawk View Post
            Because the Wright Brothers bicycle shop was in Dayton, Ohio. That's also the origin of the name for "Wright-Patterson Air Force Base", which is near Dayton. I always thought they kind of got the short end of the stick with that AFB name. They had the first powered flight of an airplane, and yet have to share their base name with some other dude?
            I agree Dawk.

Comment

Packers get to keep their name

All sports fans and most everybody else will probably get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this guy is hilarious...

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC

Comment

Originally posted by eagles2000 View Post
                Packers get to keep their name

All sports fans and most everybody else will probably get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this guy is hilarious...

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC

Comment

Love it!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X