Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rumor about Dillard is coming up again

Report: “It’s only a matter of time” before the Eagles re-sign Jason Peters
    Andre Dillard poised to be a backup again in 2020?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Apr 30, 2020, 7:59pm EDT

It sounds like Jason Peters is going to enter the 2020 NFL season as the Philadelphia Eagles’ starting left tackle.

At least, that’s what NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Derrick Gunn seems to be indicating. Gunn said the following during a recent appearance on Quick Slants:

“Now, the plan was for last year’s first-round pick, Andre Dillard, to take over at left tackle but maybe they’re re-thinking that now. So, could the Birds be bringing back Peters in a backup role?

Well, first of all, if Jason Peters comes back here, he’s not coming back here as a backup. I do know for a fact that Jason Peters wants to be back in Philadelphia, the Eagles want Jason Peters here. It’s only a matter of time before they get something done.

Now, the plan was for Dillard to hopefully be their starting left tackle but he did not progress as quickly as the Eagles had hoped he would. So, you get Peters back here for at least one more year, Dillard is his understudy for one more year, learning under a future Hall of Famer, but by 2021 Andre Dillard had better be ready to protect Carson Wentz’s blindside.”

Further lending credence to this idea is that Lane Johnson recently said he wouldn’t rule out the Eagles re-signing JP.

I wrote about this possibility just earlier this week.

Are we 100% sure that Peters won’t play one more season in Philly?

The Eagles shouldn’t have to re-sign him, to be clear, but they might not be feeling so great about 2019 first-round pick Andre Dillard. A report emerged last week stating that the Eagles “dangled [Dillard] out there as possible trade bait.” In addition, Jimmy Kempski said the Eagles “have major concerns about him presently” after also noting that Dillard had multiple emotional episodes during his rookie season. All of this lines up with a sentiment that I heard in that some within the Eagles’ organization think Dillard is soft.

I also previously wrote how it’ll be pretty disappointing if Andre Dillard isn’t the Eagles’ starting left tackle in 2020.

It’ll be truly concerning if Dillard isn’t ready to be the Eagles’ starting left tackle in 2020. Otherwise, the Eagles will have traded up for a player in the first round who isn’t even at least a true swing tackle by Year 2 since he can’t play on the right side. And it’s not like Dillard’s this extremely raw and undeveloped prospect; he turns 25 in early October. By contrast, the projected first round tackles in this year’s NFL Draft are currently 20 years old. There’s also no real precedent in recent history for a first round offensive tackle to sit on the bench for two entire seasons.

We’ll wait and see if this actually happens or not but Gunn saying that “It’s only a matter of time before they get something done” seems pretty definitive to me.

Poll
    Should the Eagles re-sign Jason Peters?
    63%
    Yes
    (1287 votes)
    37%
    No
    (754 votes)
    2041 votes total
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Doesn't sound good. Not sure you can discount this any more than you can discount the Jeffrey rumors. This is the first I have read anything about this ......after also noting that Dillard had multiple emotional episodes during his rookie season. Emotional issues are a thing for the birds OL; remember Andrews? And then Watkins, and Brooks, and maybe Dillard. I'm not ready to say Dillard is a bust though. I thought he looked pretty good at LT last year; esp compared to his stint at RT.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Sounds like Dillard is a young man that needs to mature. He has the talent to be a top notch tackle, The question is does he have the heart?

That said if they bring back Peters as a starter its all over for Dillard. If they bring him back as a backup, then it more to hedge their bets on Dillard.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

"some within the Eagles’ organization think Dillard is soft"

Oh Oh. You can't have a soft LT in the NFL. If a tackle loses his mental edge, he is toast.

Comment

The only issue that I remember last year was him having a fight the first day of practice with a DL. That doesn't sound like he's "soft" to me unless maybe they were referring to his lack of muscle mass? I have no problem with Peters coming back because he's still a very good player. However he still wants $10 a year to play and that sure isn't going to happen.

It seemed to me that Dillard had terrific footwork last year. Maybe the Eagles just think that he isn't strong enough yet. Seeing as though nobody has seen him since last year it might be tough to gauge that. He may have added a lot of muscle during the offseason. I have my doubts that the Eagles were shopping him though. If you are trying to trade your #1 pick I'm sure that the other team would smell a rat.

Comment

I don't want Peters back. According to The Football Database( https://www.footballdb.com/stats/pen...?tm=24&yr=2019 ) Peters led the team in penalties with 9 last year. Five of those were for false starts where he was jumping before the snap trying to prevent the defender from getting around him? He isn't as quick as he once was and he was trying to compensate. It sure as hell seemed like a lot more than 5 false starts (although those are only the ones that were enforced so there were probably more than just 5). Regardless, IMO we need to throw Dillard into the deep end and sign a legitimate backup just in case.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't think he is soft, I think he needs to mature. He was 22yrs old. The way he handled the RT experiment was not very good. He has the athletics ability, does he have what it takes inside? Heart, lots and lots of Heart
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I'm not privy to any details at all, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that the beat writers are beating on this one to see if it up and runs away...

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                  I'm not privy to any details at all, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say that the beat writers are beating on this one to see if it up and runs away...

Comment

Working...
                  X