Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange, but I guess that the Eagles like Kendricks

Mychal Kendricks' trade request was denied by Eagles

Eagles linebacker Mychal Kendricks said he asked to be traded earlier this offseason, and was denied by the front office, Tim McManus of ESPN.com reports.

"Their response was you're young, you're talented and we're not into that. So I took it like that and was like, 'Alright.' That's why we have agents," said Kendricks at his locker stall following Friday's practice.

"That's the business. It's just like that. You tell them what you want, they either do it or they don't and you are in the contract that you signed. So that's it."

The former second-round pick out of Cal was used sparingly last season under new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Part of the issue is that blitzing is among Kendricks' top strengths, but Schwartz relies on his front four to generate pressure.

The Eagles were in sub-packages around 70 percent of the time last season. With Jordan Hicks and Nigel Bradham as the top linebackers, Kendricks was on the field for just 27 percent of the defensive snaps. He finished with 32 tackles and no sacks.

The trade buzz surrounding Kendricks has been at a steady hum for months now. Two teams circulating around the Kendricks camp near the time of the draft were the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons. While a deal with the 49ers was reportedly close, nothing came to fruition.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Or there just isn't enough trade value for what he gives the birds--which isn't a hell of a lot so far.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I have wondered if Nigel Bradham's possible suspension is the main reason they decided to keep Kendricks around.

Comment

Good point
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Kendricks was not used much because Hicks and Bradham stayed healthy last season (and are better players). The drop-off after Kendricks is significant, so if you trade him you are banking on continued health. Hicks hurt himself a bit in the offseason already, and of course Bradham has the potential suspension. At which point Najee Goode may be your starter if you don't have Kendricks. The season before, there was a rash of injuries at LB, so you never know. Maybe some of the young LBs will impress (Walker), but you can't count on that. I think the Eagles were willing to trade him if they got something significant back (at least a 4th round pick, maybe a 3rd), but otherwise he was too valuable as roster insurance. Maybe by next year some young LBs step up.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
            Kendricks was not used much because Hicks and Bradham stayed healthy last season (and are better players). The drop-off after Kendricks is significant, so if you trade him you are banking on continued health. Hicks hurt himself a bit in the offseason already, and of course Bradham has the potential suspension. At which point Najee Goode may be your starter if you don't have Kendricks. The season before, there was a rash of injuries at LB, so you never know. Maybe some of the young LBs will impress (Walker), but you can't count on that. I think the Eagles were willing to trade him if they got something significant back (at least a 4th round pick, maybe a 3rd), but otherwise he was too valuable as roster insurance. Maybe by next year some young LBs step up.
            I was never in the trade Kendricks camp to tell you the truth. I just don't get how Schwartz operates. I think they are trying to groom Gerry for that hybrid LB/Safety position seeing as though we were in the nickel 75% of the time last year, maybe more considering goal line defense.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
            X