X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles sign QB; bring up Daniels

Press Release:
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have placed QB Donovan McNabb (torn anterior cruciate ligament in right knee) on the Injured Reserve list and signed LB Torrance Daniels from the practice squad.

In addition, the team signed QB Omar Jacobs to the practice squad.

A rookie free agent signee in 2006, Daniels (6-3, 24 has spent the entire season on the Eagles practice squad. The 25-year-old Daniels was a four-year starter for Harding University in Arkansas, and earned AP Little All-America honors as a senior, recording 74 tackles, 4.5 sacks, five knockdowns and four forced fumbles.

Originally a fifth round draft choice of Pittsburgh in 2006, Jacobs (6-4, 224) signed to the Steelers practice squad on 9/4, but was released a week later. A two-year All-Mid American Conference honoree at Bowling Green, Jacobs finished his career as the school’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns (71). For his career, Jacobs completed 523 of 811 passes for 6,938 yards and 71 touchdowns, while throwing just 11 interceptions.

Daniels will wear jersey #50 and Jacobs will wear #4.

I like both moves. Daniels is very athletic from what I remember from TC. Jacobs has a lot of tools. It will be interesting if he sticks to next year's camp roster.

Comment

Intriguing moves. Let's see how it goes.

Comment

Jacobs is really raw. I have no problem with them signing him and letting him learn on the PS. Maybe he has a future here, maybe not. But at least they get to evaluate him.

I am a huge Tank Daniels fan. I loved watching him at Lehigh. Tall guy who has the frame to add some more weight. He's very fast and I think if he added some muscle he'd be a fine SAM LB. They played him at WIL in the PS though.

I hope he replaces Short. I am not really a Short fan. I dig the killer hits on STs but he takes too many dumb penalties and is always hurt.

Comment

I'm glad to see Daniels get a chance as well.
          He's a good athlete and can provide some needed
          help on special teams if not at LB.

Comment

Much ado about nothing. Slot and roster fillers only.
            Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Originally posted by nc
              You might like Daniels nc if he gets a chance to play. The kid can fly and has nice size. McCoy has pretty much played himself out of any starting role. This could get a little interesting.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by nc
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Omar Jacobs
                  QB | (6'4", 232, 4.84) | BOWLING GREEN

Scouts Grade: 72

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy
                  View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
                  You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Career Totals Passing Rushing
                  SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
                  2005 195 321 2591 60.7 8.1 26 7 11 150.9 40 62 1.6 1
                  2004 309 462 4002 66.9 8.7 41 4 10 167.2 95 300 3.2 4
                  2003 19 28 345 67.9 12.3 4 0 1 218.5 18 89 4.9 2
                  · View full player card
                  Strengths: Possesses ideal NFL measurables. He has great size. Is tall, well-built, long arms and big hands. He has good arm strength. He shows good touch and the ability to change velocities. He throws catchable passes underneath and has a feel for leading his receivers. Extremely accurate in short-to-intermediate range. Lacks vertical passing experience but has the arm to make all the NFL throws. Can drive the ball downfield. Shows good zip on the deep out route and gets adequate RPM's on his downfield throws. He's an excellent athlete. Has quick feet and can get set quickly. Shows a good pocket presence and buys a lot of second-chance opportunities with his athleticism. He is a threat to take off and run. Has above average speed and some elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. A confident player and aggressive competitor.

Weaknesses: Durability is a concern after 2005 shoulder injury. Displays mechanical issues. Is unpolished. Does not possess great experience throwing the deep ball and his timing must improve in that area. Lacks ideal patience in the pocket at times and will take off running too early. Had some fumbling issues in college and must learn to better protect the football. Plays in a simplified offense with a simplified passing scheme. Most of his throws are underneath. He will have a steeper learning curve in terms of making reads and seeing the entire field as an NFL quarterback. Can be too emotional at times and must learn to deal with failure better.

Overall: Played sparingly as a backup to Josh Harris (Browns) in 2003. Took over as a fulltime starter as a sophomore in 2004, when he threw for 4,002 yards and rushed for 300 more. He completed 67 percent of his 462 passing attempts and threw 46 TD passes compared to just four INT's on the season. As a junior in 2005, Jacobs completed 60.7 percent of his throws for 2,591 yards with 26 TD's and seven INT's, while also rushing for 62 yards on 40 carries. He missed two games (Akron and Kent State) due to a non-throwing shoulder injury that he suffered versus Western Michigan. Jacobs flashed first round potential as a first-year starter in 2004 but he failed to build on that momentum during an injury-riddled and inconsistent junior campaign in 2005. Instead of returning for his senior season, Jacobs elected to take his chances in the 2006 draft -- a sizeable mistake in our opinion. Jacobs has all the physical tools necessary to develop into a starting quarterback in the NFL. He has great size, as well as good arm strength and mobility. He can be an accurate short-to-intermediate passer and he has shown flashes of good decision-making skills. However, Jacobs will need a lot of work in order to polish his game for the next level. His release point is too low and his consistency as a deep-ball passer needs to improve. He also comes from a pass-friendly, shotgun-oriented offensive scheme, which means he likely will require more developmental time than other quarterback prospects with similar skill sets. That's why, in our opinion, Jacobs is worth drafting in the late second-to-third round range, but no earlier than the middle of the second round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.
                  *** Not bad signing, they may send him to NFL Europe.

Comment

Working...
                  X