Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles show interest in Gatlin. ????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/f ... ion=si_nfl

Is this real or just an agent trying to hype something?

Although it sounds like he has very little interest.

If real it sounds out of character a bit for the Birds.

//////////////////////////

NEW YORK (AP) -- Asafa Powell isn't the only one who wants a piece of Justin Gatlin. The Philadelphia Eagles do, too.

Gatlin's agent, Renaldo Nehemiah, said Thursday the Eagles have made several inquiries the last three weeks to see if his client was interested in playing football. But Gatlin has only one summer plan: a long-anticipated race with Powell in a matchup between the two 100-meter world-record holders.

Nehemiah, who played in the NFL for four seasons in the 1980s after starring in the hurdles, said the Eagles have left phone messages and sent e-mails to him about Gatlin.

Eagles spokesman Derek Boyko said he was unaware of the team's interest, and it was club policy not to comment on any potential personnel moves.

The Eagles are desperate for a receiver and kickoff returner. Of course, they already drafted one Olympian this year, taking freestyle skier Jeremy Bloom in the fifth round to return kicks.

Though Nehemiah knows the temptation of playing in the NFL, he has no plans to return the Eagles' calls and mentioned the topic to Gatlin only in passing.

"Football isn't a necessity" for Gatlin, Nehemiah said. Gatlin, who won Olympic gold in the 100 in Athens, last played football some nine years ago, after quitting his high school team in 10th grade after a dispute with his coach.

"He's doing well enough he doesn't need it," Nehemiah said.

Of more importance to Gatlin and Nehemiah is the showdown with Powell. Gatlin and Powell raced in separate 100 heats last week at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene, Ore., and a potential race in Gateshead, England, on June 11 fell through.

This week, Gatlin is in New York for the Reebok Grand Prix, while Powell will race in the Bislett Games in Oslo, Norway. Nehemiah hopes the two will be able to race by the end of July.

"It obviously has to do with more than just track and field, dealing with the head to head, financial reasons and the venue as well, dealing with the weather," Gatlin said. The competitive side doesn't care, I want to go out there and run. But the smart, business side of me knows this is something special. This doesn't happen all the time in track and field. So I want to make sure when it's done, I want it done right."

Nehemiah has been in constant communication with Powell's representatives and has been getting dozens of calls from meet directors around the world wanting to host the showdown.

As of now, the only meet the two are scheduled in together is July 28 in London. But Nehemiah wants the matchup to be set before then. Neither has a race scheduled between July 14 and the London meet, so possibilities include Stockholm on July 25 or Helsinki on July 26. If nothing can be worked out, then London would be the host.

"They're going to race. That's no doubt in my mind," Nehemiah said. "Unfortunately, it's become bigger than I wanted it to become, and so we're inundated with so many people jockeying for that first race."

Gatlin, who tied Powell's mark of 9.77 seconds in Doha three weeks ago, said the meeting would be worth the wait.

"I want to make sure Asafa's at his A-game. I don't want excuses for a win or for a loss," Gatlin said. "I want to make sure we're both 100 percent and may the best man win when we go out there. For the fans, I think: give it some time and everything will be OK. They'll understand by the time we get to the line and we're head-to-head that everyone will enjoy the race and everyone will be satisfied."

Wow. That would certainly stretch the field. And it'd be worth a try.

Damn, could you imagine? We start at the 1, let him go deep and chuck it up. He probably has hands of stone though.

Comment

This goes back to what I asked before. What does this mean? DOes our staff try everything, or are they really worried about WR and KR?

I have to wonder about his speed on a football field. Does he have cutting ability, endurance, toughness, etc. Like Bloom, he is not use to cutting, so it would take time to get those muscles working at capacity.

Or is Lurie trying to alter what he meant by the GOLD standard?
      Pedro

Comment

Plus, sprinters are complete primadonnas when it comes to their bodies. They feel any sort of twinge in their hammy and they shut it down.

Comment

From the SI article: "The Eagles are DESPERATE (my emphasis) for a receiver and kickoff returner."

I think this guy is "desperate" to find something to write about.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
            From the SI article: "The Eagles are DESPERATE (my emphasis) for a receiver and kickoff returner."

I think this guy is "desperate" to find something to write about.
            ZING!!

Comment

It's been plain to me, and is aparently plain to newcomers as well..this from Gar-thia...

Jeff Garcia talked about the state of this group of wide receivers on Wednesday and said that all of the players he has worked with are very similar. "It seems like they're a bunch of clones -- like the same guy out there. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between them. And I think what's going to have to happen is, somebody is going to have to really step up and separate themselves. I mean that in a good way. I think competition is going to create that sort of atmosphere on the field."
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Attack of the Clones!!!!!!
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

OK so if you were Gatlin's agent, would you simply refuse to call a potential employer for your client? Someone with the mega-bucks and spotlight like an NFL team? I understand that Gatlin may not want to play football, but as his agent Nehemiah is crazy to refuse to even answer their calls! e's not doing his client any service by pissing off a potential suitor regardless of whether he wants to work for them or not. Simply be cordial and politely decline because you never know when you may need them. One wrong step and his livelihood could be gone and so are the offers to race. It's like the old adage, "Be nice to people on the way up because they're the same people you'll meet on the way down."
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Anybody even suspect that this is all on "skates" to get his guys name in the paper and that the Eagles truly have very little interest?

Comment

I think it might be a bad idea---- 1. The eagles track record at improving and coaching "up" WR's is well,,,, less than stellar.
                      and #2................

DAVID CULLEY IS GOING TO TAKE THIS RAW KID AND MAKE IT WORK?????

Comment

MD I agree I think this is pure agent spin. He probably got a call several months ago from some low level Eagles employee with a bright idea and thought they might want to look at him before the draft. Now the agent is talking like the Eagles are beating on his door daily. Who knows what the truth is, but I doubt the birds are all that enamored with someone who at best would be considered a long shot to contribute in a meaningful way.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                          It's been plain to me, and is aparently plain to newcomers as well..this from Gar-thia...

Jeff Garcia talked about the state of this group of wide receivers on Wednesday and said that all of the players he has worked with are very similar. "It seems like they're a bunch of clones -- like the same guy out there. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between them. And I think what's going to have to happen is, somebody is going to have to really step up and separate themselves. I mean that in a good way. I think competition is going to create that sort of atmosphere on the field."
                          I sure hope there is nobody else in football that resembles Pinky's physical attributes.

I believe there is a good reason they are similar. The WCO needs precise route runners and AR likes for them to have size to go over the middle (which Pinky can't do). Your #2 and #3 have to be interchangeable as far as going over the middle. Look at the guys who failed in recent drafts. Mitchell, Na Brown, Scott, McMullen, etc. None of them are burners. They all were suppose to have great hands and knew how to run routes. Now we draft Brown and Avant. Hands and route running is their fortay. The good thing is that Brown realy has good hands and really learned (rather quickly) how to run good routes.

Pinky was the exception, but we needed that one speedster for the deep threat.
                          Pedro

Comment

First off, this really sounds like an agent trying to drum something up. I could see the Eagles enquiring about whether Gatlin might be interested in pursuing football or not, but I don't see them being "desperate", or beating the guy's door down.

As far as Garcia's comments are concerned, I hope Jeff realizes that he's making these judgements after a couple of non contact practices. I don't know about you guys, but if I'm Reggie Brown, I'm not going out of my way to impress Jeff Garcia in a passing camp. I just want to run the correct routes, catch the ball, and not get hurt. I'll save the intensity for training camp.

Oh yea, gotta agree with MD about Culley. This guy can't even seem to get legitimate WRs to develop, or get any better, and he's going to take some guy that doesn't even play football, and develop him??

Comment

Has anyone other than Bob Hayes, who was a real weapon with the Cowboys in the 60s, successfully made the transition from world class sprinter to WR in the NFL. (I don't consider Nehemiah's attempt a success.) Many credit Hayes incredible speed as a key factor in the development of the zone defense, as no DB could stay with Hayes 1 on 1. Hayes played football at FL A&M, where he was a very effective wide out and this was doubtless a factor in his success in the NFL

David Culley's continued existence as the Bird's receiver's coach raises the question: Has any coach in the AR reign ever been let go for nonperformance?

Comment

Working...
                              X