Built to Spill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built to Spill

I have to recommend Built to Spill's new album called You in Reverse.

Not sure if people have heard of this band or know any of the history, but I'll mention several of their influences and several of their peers musically and you can make up your own mind which is what it is all about anyway...

Influences: Dinosaur Jr., Neil Young, Pavement

Musical Peers: Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie

They started in 1992 and their members came from several other local bands. It is mostly considered Indie music, but I hate labels so if you like the above bands give it a try...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

I like Built to Spill a lot, but honestly can't reccomend You in Reverse.

If someone wants to pick up one of their albums, I would definitely suggest Ancient Melodies of the Future, from 2001. It's a good entry into their sound. Some great guitar work and excellent hooks.
    The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

I would recommend "Keep It Like a Secret". I think it's their most accessible album. "Perfect From Now On" is probably the least accessible since I don't think any songs clock in under 5 minutes. "Live" is great and worth the price for the 20-minute cover of "Cortez the Killer". I'll always have a soft spot for "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" but it's not really representative of where they are as a band now. However, "Car" is one of their definitive songs.

Comment

"There's Nothing Wrong With Love" is probably my favorite BTS album. Dystopian Dream Girl is one of my all-time favorite songs. But you're right, it doesn't sound much like their current sound.
        The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Working...
        X