Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Eagle draft ever?

Make your call.

My vote is 1973. Sisemore and Morriss teamed with Walters to be the guts of the o-line that led the Eagles to the 1980 Super Bowl. Charle Young was a very good TE who was traded for Jaws. Randy Logan was a great, great safety.

And Joe Lavender was a good NFL corner for 10 years, ranks 4th all-time in career INT for the Redskins. At 6-4, FRESH would have worshipped at Lavender's feet before he was dealt away.

Of course, they should have done well that year -- they had the 3rd and 6th picks overall (Sisemore and Young).

But 1957 produced two Hall of Famers.
    2002 -- Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Brian Westbrook, Michael Lewis
    30.00%
    1973 -- Jerry Sisemore, Charle Young, Guy Morriss, Randy Logan, Joe Lavender
    30.00%
    1986 -- Keith Byars, Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons, Matt Darwin, Anthony Toney
    30.00%
    1957 -- Clarence Peaks, Billy Ray Barnes, Tommy McDonald, Sonny Jurgensen
    10.00%
    Last edited by Leonard Tose; 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

1986 is it for me

Comment

Steve's going with '86 because he was too young for those other drafts.
      I'll take '73,truly a great draft.
      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Hard to judge on HOF when some of these guys are still actively playing, but 2002 did produce our entire secondary for several years and one of, if not the, best RB the team has ever had in Westbrook. All told, there are 2 PB for Lito, 1 for Lewis and 2(?) for Westbrook.
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I voted 73.

Comment

1957 (I'm an oldtimer!). Two HOF's in that class!
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
              Hard to judge on HOF when some of these guys are still actively playing, but 2002 did produce our entire secondary for several years and one of, if not the, best RB the team has ever had in Westbrook. All told, there are 2 PB for Lito, 1 for Lewis and 2(?) for Westbrook.

Fair enough, but other than Westbrook, are any of these guys serious HOF candidates? I highly doubt it.

Westbrook may have a chance if he can stay healthy and productive for a few more seasons.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Gotta go with '57 and the "two Hall of Famers" argument.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                  Fair enough, but other than Westbrook, are any of these guys serious HOF candidates? I highly doubt it.

Westbrook may have a chance if he can stay healthy and productive for a few more seasons.
                  Were McDonald and Jurgensen HOF locks at the same point in their careers?

I do not know, but in hindsight yes 1957 wins the vote if we are using HOF as the measurement.

I am not arguing 2002 is the best, but I am glad you included it in the discussion
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                    Were McDonald and Jurgensen HOF locks at the same point in their careers?

I do not know, but in hindsight yes 1957 wins the vote if we are using HOF as the measurement.

I am not arguing 2002 is the best, but I am glad you included it in the discussion

Oh, it's definitely right there, it's an all-time Eagle draft class without a doubt.

I'm not using the HOF as the be-all, end-all (I voted for 73!). But it is highly unusual to find more than one Hall of Famer in any one team's draft class for a particular year.

Of course, the Steelers of 74 trumped everyone with four Hall of Famers in their first four picks: Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, Webster. That's got to be the greatest draft of all time.

Comment

Comment

I went with 02, but I really think 1999 should have been a choice, too. We picked up the CORRECT franchise QB, while all the others in the vaunted "QB class of 99", with the possible exception of Culpepper, were utter and complete busts.

Comment

Originally posted by FearTheDawk View Post
                          I went with 02, but I really think 1999 should have been a choice, too. We picked up the CORRECT franchise QB, while all the others in the vaunted "QB class of 99", with the possible exception of Culpepper, were utter and complete busts.

I thought about that, because McNabb alone makes that draft a complete success. But there was so little in the way of talent other than McNabb drafted by the Eagles that year, was hard for me to put that next to these other classes. John Welbourn was the second-best player in that class.

Comment

Hmmm, 3 votes for 73 after I voted for them, but three of you said you voted for that team. Did one of you mess up or did LT really go 57?

Too many good player on 73. That O-line was great and Lavendar was a mainstay in DC. I like Young, while we had him. Very nice draft.
                            Pedro

Comment

I'm going with 86, but that might just be age related.......
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X