No announcement yet.

(ot) The Beautiful Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difficulty with soccer in the US is much like hockey. People don't know enough about the game to know the nuances of what players are doing. They don't 'see' what the play that the players are setting up is. They just see people running around or skating around. It is definitely a lack of knowledge on the fans part
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

That Russian-Bosnia game was hard to watch and I don't care how much soccer people know. That being said, GO USA!!!!!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
        The difficulty with soccer in the US is much like hockey. People don't know enough about the game to know the nuances of what players are doing. They don't 'see' what the play that the players are setting up is. They just see people running around or skating around. It is definitely a lack of knowledge on the fans part
        I didn't have pee wee football and couldn't play football till 8th grade,soccer was the only game in town. I was a pretty good goal keeper in Jr High . I just don't like soccer, it isn't something I wanna watch. You guys can watch it, play it whatever. It's just not something that I care about. I don't watch tennis, NASCAR , golf or paint dry either. To each his own.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

now that's exciting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            now that's exciting!!!
            I would say that anyone who watched the 2nd half of the US v Portugal game and didn't find it exciting simply doesn't want to like soccer. You didn't need to grasp the sublteties of the game to find those 50 minutes compelling sports drama.

Emotions went to from 'joy' after Jermaine Jones ties it at 1-1, to 'euphoria' when broken-nosed Clint Dempsey scores the go ahead goal with 10 minutes to play, to frustration when Micheal Bradley missed his second gimme that would have iced the game.

The last 10 minutes of regular time and the 5 of injury time were murder for nail biters with near misses and spectacular saves by the US goalie. Cristiano Renaldo, perhaps the best player in the world and certainly the most egotistical, had shit the bed for the first 94 minutes 30 seconds of the game. Then he delivered the knife to the heart that we Birds' fans know intimately...a perfect crossing pass to the front of the goal which Portugal's Varela headed in to tie the game with 30 seconds to go.

The last emotion of the day was deflated disappointment knowing the US was that close to locking a pass to the final 16 and now must at least tie a very, very good Geramn team on Thursday to assure they'll move.

Comment

Great post, Tino!
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

ND,

I believe you've the identified the biggest obstacle to enjoying soccer for those who are actually willing to give the game a chance. Combine the 1) low scoring with 2) a lack of understanding of the rules ('offside' for example) and 3) even a rudimentary grasp of the game strategy/tactics and the eyes of many neutral fans glaze over. I think the broadcasters could do a better job of explaining rules and tactics to the viewing public. Like me, many who tune in are novices and want to increase their knowledge of the game.

Also, unlike the 3 major sports in the US, neither hockey nor soccer are well served by TV broadcast. But go to one well-played hockey game and you're hooked. I think that's probably a bit less true for soccer because it's even harder to understand.

I have no problem with people who find soccer boring. I think they're missing out on a good thing when they ignore the World Cup games but that's what makes the world go round. On the other hand, I find the 'haters' a bit annoying. The hostility of some to the game is palpable. Where does the need to attack the game and it's fans come from? Some go as far as to suggest that the game is 'unAmerican' of all things. That's actually more sad than annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  ND,

I believe you've the identified the biggest obstacle to enjoying soccer for those who are actually willing to give the game a chance. Combine the 1) low scoring with 2) a lack of understanding of the rules ('offside' for example) and 3) even a rudimentary grasp of the game strategy/tactics and the eyes of many neutral fans glaze over. I think the broadcasters could do a better job of explaining rules and tactics to the viewing public. Like me, many who tune in are novices and want to increase their knowledge of the game.

Also, unlike the 3 major sports in the US, neither hockey nor soccer are well served by TV broadcast. But go to one well-played hockey game and you're hooked. I think that's probably a bit less true for soccer because it's even harder to understand.

I have no problem with people who find soccer boring. I think they're missing out on a good thing when they ignore the World Cup games but that's what makes the world go round. On the other hand, I find the 'haters' a bit annoying. The hostility of some to the game is palpable. Where does the need to attack the game and it's fans come from? Some go as far as to suggest that the game is 'unAmerican' of all things. That's actually more sad than annoying.
                  I've always thought that the offside rule was the number 1 reason soccer will not catch on big in the USA and I still think it sucks.

The ending of the game was like reliving my life as an Eagle fan.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    ND,

I think the main obstacle to enjoying soccer is most people's concentration on scoring (or the lack of it). In order to truly appreciate the beauty of soccer, one must focus on the skill and athleticism involved in even the simplest of actions - such as the ability to deaden the ball from a 50-yard pass with the simple action of a foot or chest.

To condemn soccer because of its lack of scoring really misses the whole point of the game. Most of the real beauty occurs in some of soccer's smallest plays - such as moving the ball through a tenacious defense.

Because scoring is so difficult, the achievement of a goal is quite an accomplishment. That is why a goal is so thrilling to watch - particularly if it comes from a truly amazing pass that meets the head of a runner going at top speed such as what occurred between Ronaldo and Valera on Sunday. The fact that the play happened within the last seconds of the game makes it even more amazing and beautiful to watch.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                      I think the main obstacle to enjoying soccer is most people's concentration on scoring (or the lack of it). In order to truly appreciate the beauty of soccer, one must focus on the skill and athleticism involved in even the simplest of actions - such as the ability to deaden the ball from a 50-yard pass with the simple action of a foot or chest.

To condemn soccer because of its lack of scoring really misses the whole point of the game. Most of the real beauty occurs in some of soccer's smallest plays - such as moving the ball through a tenacious defense.

Because scoring is so difficult, the achievement of a goal is quite an accomplishment. That is why a goal is so thrilling to watch - particularly if it comes from a truly amazing pass that meets the head of a runner going at top speed such as what occurred between Ronaldo and Valera on Sunday. The fact that the play happened within the last seconds of the game makes it even more amazing and beautiful to watch.
                      Stock, going 20 minutes at a clip and not getting a shot on net is boring, and that happens quite. As good as the US-Port game was, that Russian-Bosnia thing was as miserable!

Comment

Obviously we just don't understand the game.

And here I thought I just found it boring.

Glad that got straightened out.

Comment

Glad you're glad. But seriously, do you think most people (who are at least mild sports fans) understand the intricacies of the game for soccer and hockey? Some like mm might understand it well but just don't find it interesting but I don't think that applies to most.
                          I find most people who tell me they can't get into hockey don't understand the rules. I have a good friend who understands sports (played minor league baseball) but says hockey has no rhyme or reason; why are guys constantly switching out after a minute or so on the ice, why do they just dump it in instead of taking it in, it is players skating around with no purpose, etc. But sitting through a few games with me and he started to understand and now loves hockey.
                          A lack of scoring is boring yet many people will tell you a well pitched 0-0 tie in the ninth is great......if they understand the battle between pitcher and hitter and the battle between pitchers. The need to put down that bunt to sac the runner to second. Is there a difference? I don't think so, boring is boring but a lack of scoring isn't boring in and of itself.
                          I'll admit I don't understand soccer very well and it is a rare day I watch a game but I am able to sit and watch the game and look for the play, what are they doing to set up the score. Hell I watched Argentina/Iran the other day and Argentina was constantly in the Iranian end putting pressure on the goalie. I was interested to see what they were doing to put so much pressure on.
                          But to each his own. Some find tennis the greatest sport while some see it as boring, some see golf as the greatest sport while some would say the only reason to put it on tv is to provide good white noise for my nap.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

A lack of scoring is boring yet many people will tell you a well pitched 0-0 tie in the ninth is great......if they understand the battle between pitcher and hitter and the battle between pitchers. T
                            A scoreless pitchers duel is a great example of a low scoring game that most baseball fans would find very exciting. Or if you want to really focus on a lack of offense, how about a no hitter or even a perfect game. What b ball fan wouldn't love to sit through one of those.

I saw Sandy Koufax no hit the Phillies at Connie Mack in 1964. He came within a walk to Richie Allen of a perfect game. In his injury shortened career, Koufax was the most over powering pitcher I ever saw, including Bob Gibson, Carlton and Seaver. Now I hated the Dodgers but I have to admit it was thrilling watching Koufax work that night. The Phillies had a very good team, but you sensed early that evening that they weren't going to do anything with Koufax. Nobody left early. Koufax got an ovation from the Philly fans when he struck out Bobby Wine to end the game. We knew we had witnessed something very, very special.

Now my guess is that anyone who didn't know baseball would have found that marvelous display pretty boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Stock, going 20 minutes at a clip and not getting a shot on net is boring, and that happens quite. As good as the US-Port game was, that Russian-Bosnia thing was as miserable!
                              E60, I don't know what game you were watching, but Russia did not play Bosnia-Herzegovina in this World Cup tournament.

Comment

Not to use "Just" Baseball as an example but with every pitch the game could change--- for either side. In soccer 95% of the passes have NO chance of "changing the game".

Want to love soccer, fine. But please don't tell me why I don't like soccer. I understand enough, while I never played my son did, and I saw enough matches to have a semi decent understanding of the game...... and I don't like it.

It does not appeal to me (I would also suggest that it does not appeal to the masses in America either, but I'm sure THIS time it will catch on), but please let the Freud's continue to try and find deep seated reasons why many people just don't like the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X