No announcement yet.

Why I trust the trade for Spikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm not a huge fan of bringing in spikes, but i'm fine with the trade. i hope he solidifies the SAM spot. it's a reasonable risk to take.

i'd still like to see them spend a high-round pick on a LB.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
      Dutch, I still think that it is a stretch to think Gocong will play LB. Isaw a little of him in camp last year and he really was a duck outta water. I could see McCoy taking over the nickel LB role. He does have a high motor and reminds me a little of Ike.
      Well I certainly haven't seen Gocong in action yet (except for the video clips on EMB) so I have no real reference yet. I just have to repeat my belief that this Heckert/Licht team is IMO extremely talented. I like the way they have recently filled out our WRs, and the OL. They have stocked up on some youngsters for DL and now are doing so for LB. I give them the benefit of the doubt and feel with their track record there is more reaon for optimism than pessimism. We shall see. Remember the doubts last year at this time about Herremans and Jackson, heck for some even about Andrews (because of his weight).

Comment

1 - Darwin Walker has some great games 4 times a year. Darwin Walker is non-existent the other 12 games a year. He is strong as an oxe and is talented but really is not a high motor / highly competitive player. He's probably a #3 DT in the NFL.

2 - The Eagles have been throwing Dhani Jones on the field for the past, seems like a decade. Dhani Jones is the worse player in the history of Linebackers. He's just terrible. While some sentiment has Takeo playing the WILL position due to playmaking etc - this allows us to have some flexibility to replace Dhani. Chris Gocong (2nd year player) is slated to take the SAM job from Dhani - but Takeo gives a flexibility at all 3 positions.

3 - When you enter the offseason as a team - free agency doesn't always offer the players you need. So for the EAGLES to sign Montae Reagor (Equivalant of Darwin Walker) - THEN - trade for Spikes to fill that LB void - is a coup. It's a very smart move. Risk with injuries? Always. But for the potential upside that SPIKES could add to our defense - it's a great move.

4 - If Trotter/Spikes and the young kids Gaither or Gocong can all play this year - the weakness of our team becomes a strength. Most people think Trotter is on his last legs - so Spikes gives us a nickel MIKE position that could be very useful.

This trade is a great move for the EAGLES. The downside is say TAKEO gets hurt again and Walker does what he always does. Well - we end up with Montae Reagor who will do what Walker does - and we'll end up with a middle of the road LB corps yet again. If we didn't make the move - we end up with a middle of the road LB corps yet again.

Now if he can still play - and Brodrick Bunkley steps up? Look out.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
          1 - Darwin Walker has some great games 4 times a year. Darwin Walker is non-existent the other 12 games a year. He is strong as an oxe and is talented but really is not a high motor / highly competitive player. He's probably a #3 DT in the NFL.

2 - The Eagles have been throwing Dhani Jones on the field for the past, seems like a decade. Dhani Jones is the worse player in the history of Linebackers. He's just terrible. While some sentiment has Takeo playing the WILL position due to playmaking etc - this allows us to have some flexibility to replace Dhani. Chris Gocong (2nd year player) is slated to take the SAM job from Dhani - but Takeo gives a flexibility at all 3 positions.

3 - When you enter the offseason as a team - free agency doesn't always offer the players you need. So for the EAGLES to sign Montae Reagor (Equivalant of Darwin Walker) - THEN - trade for Spikes to fill that LB void - is a coup. It's a very smart move. Risk with injuries? Always. But for the potential upside that SPIKES could add to our defense - it's a great move.

4 - If Trotter/Spikes and the young kids Gaither or Gocong can all play this year - the weakness of our team becomes a strength. Most people think Trotter is on his last legs - so Spikes gives us a nickel MIKE position that could be very useful.

This trade is a great move for the EAGLES. The downside is say TAKEO gets hurt again and Walker does what he always does. Well - we end up with Montae Reagor who will do what Walker does - and we'll end up with a middle of the road LB corps yet again. If we didn't make the move - we end up with a middle of the road LB corps yet again.

Now if he can still play - and Brodrick Bunkley steps up? Look out.

i don't disagree with your logic, but Al Wilson is also reportedly available. i'd rather have gotten Wilson than Spikes, because of the Achilles injury. there appear to have been some other trade options out there.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

You think SPIKES is an injury risk? Reports out of DENVER:

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5521429

Al Wilson's stock plummeting
            By Mike Klis
            Denver Post Staff Writer
            Article Last Updated: 03/25/2007 11:38:51 PM MDT

Once Wilson understood he was trade bait, he switched agents. (Post file)Phoenix - A new set of unpalatable options could be confronting Al Wilson.

Now that the football world knows Wilson failed his physical with the New York Giants, the chances of the Broncos dealing their middle linebacker have been drastically reduced.

If the Broncos can't deal Wilson, he could return to the Broncos, although most likely at a pay cut from his listed $5.2 million salary. If Wilson doesn't like the pay cut, he could accept his release and become a free agent.

Yes, the NFL is a cold-hearted business, even for players as popular and accomplished as Wilson.

"I like Al," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said here Sunday. "The defensive coaches didn't think his play made it worth what we were paying him."

Once Wilson understood he was trade bait, he switched agents from Norm Nixon, the former Los Angeles Lakers guard, to Peter Schaffer, who has extensive experience in moving high-profile Broncos who have fallen out of favor.

Schaffer's clientele includes Trevor Pryce, Mike Anderson and Ashley Lelie to name a few.

The Broncos and Schaffer had Wilson traded to the Giants on Friday in exchange for what sources confirmed was a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. That deal was nixed, however, when the Giants' medical team flagged the condition of Wilson's neck and back.

Although Schaffer will continue to seek a new team for Wilson, his task is considerably more challenging than it was a week ago. He said his first step is to gather more information.

"I'm not a doctor, and I don't question doctors," Schaffer said. "But I haven't talked to the Giants' doctors. The Broncos' doctors said he's fine."

Schaffer must then find a team willing to take a risk on a talented, if reputedly battered, linebacker who is about to enter his ninth season.

"I'm confident we're going to get something done that will make Al happy not only for next year, but for the rest of his career," Schaffer said.

Does that mean staying in Denver?

"I don't know," Bowlen said. "That's a question for Al and the head coach."
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
              You think SPIKES is an injury risk? Reports out of DENVER:

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5521429

Al Wilson's stock plummeting
              By Mike Klis
              Denver Post Staff Writer
              Article Last Updated: 03/25/2007 11:38:51 PM MDT

Once Wilson understood he was trade bait, he switched agents. (Post file)Phoenix - A new set of unpalatable options could be confronting Al Wilson.

Now that the football world knows Wilson failed his physical with the New York Giants, the chances of the Broncos dealing their middle linebacker have been drastically reduced.

If the Broncos can't deal Wilson, he could return to the Broncos, although most likely at a pay cut from his listed $5.2 million salary. If Wilson doesn't like the pay cut, he could accept his release and become a free agent.

Yes, the NFL is a cold-hearted business, even for players as popular and accomplished as Wilson.

"I like Al," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said here Sunday. "The defensive coaches didn't think his play made it worth what we were paying him."

Once Wilson understood he was trade bait, he switched agents from Norm Nixon, the former Los Angeles Lakers guard, to Peter Schaffer, who has extensive experience in moving high-profile Broncos who have fallen out of favor.

Schaffer's clientele includes Trevor Pryce, Mike Anderson and Ashley Lelie to name a few.

The Broncos and Schaffer had Wilson traded to the Giants on Friday in exchange for what sources confirmed was a third-round pick in the upcoming draft. That deal was nixed, however, when the Giants' medical team flagged the condition of Wilson's neck and back.

Although Schaffer will continue to seek a new team for Wilson, his task is considerably more challenging than it was a week ago. He said his first step is to gather more information.

"I'm not a doctor, and I don't question doctors," Schaffer said. "But I haven't talked to the Giants' doctors. The Broncos' doctors said he's fine."

Schaffer must then find a team willing to take a risk on a talented, if reputedly battered, linebacker who is about to enter his ninth season.

"I'm confident we're going to get something done that will make Al happy not only for next year, but for the rest of his career," Schaffer said.

Does that mean staying in Denver?

"I don't know," Bowlen said. "That's a question for Al and the head coach."

missed that development. i retract my prior comment. thanks for the update.

Comment

Wow, I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not in THAT way of course)

Great thread!

It all comes down to what I have been telling youse guys for years now-------- Thay HAVE earned the benefit of the doubt,,,,,, you have to trust them.

Comment

Look, I'm sure the Eagles broke down every play of every game..probably since his injury, and probably some plays from before he got hurt. They watched every footstep, everything.

I am absolutely convinced that upon review of all that film, they felt that Spikes' health improved along the course of the season last year, and they feel that they're getting someone that is capable of playing on a high level.

This was a great trade for us. It has really rounded out a pretty productive offseason. If you had told me before the offseason started that we would end up re-signing our guys that we targeted, grab Curtis and Reagor, then trade Walker for Spikes...all before the draft, I'd have been ecstatic.

And i'm ecstatic right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X