Kelly Holcomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Holcomb

I think getting Holcomb is a signal that Donnie Mac is not going to be ready for the start of the season. AJ will start but after that we would have been left with a rookie (if we used a draft pick there). So now with Holcomb as the number 3 on this team we are once again pretty deep at QB. Holcomb is a decent backup QB. Not Jeff Garcia by any means but a guy who can come in a win for a game or two during the year.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Disagree. Donovan will be under center week 1. Holcomb is just there for depth because it's a weak draft for QBs and Koy won't be back.

Comment

I think he's one hell of a 3rd team QB. With DMAC's injury history, it's a great move on the Eagles' part. I like it.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
        Disagree. Donovan will be under center week 1. Holcomb is just there for depth because it's a weak draft for QBs and Koy won't be back.
        I sure hope so but this injury is a year injury, Donny is not getting any younger, so his rehab time COULD BE effected by it. I really want to hope that Donny Mac is back by game one but this move is curious to me and one that makes me think that at least in the Eagles mind they needed to have a number 3 that could be a number 2 for an extended period of time.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

You could also turn that around and say they must know DMac still has a lot of great years because they aren't lookng for a youngster to groom.
          I'm not sure there is such a thing as a great 3rd team QB unless it is one that doesn't cost you anything. He is ok since he is a vet who can help in camp and film room, etc.
          I really don't get the Holcomb thing unless it is just a throw in that Buf wanted. Hell, they already signed IP to a pretty good deal---not one you would give your third QB and you like to have a 3 to learn for the future and maybe trade (see Feely and Schaub).
          I don't know. He is ok I guess but it doesn't really stir me one way or the other
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

taz, I agree with Swing - I think this is a move for a solid #3 and has nothing to do with DMac's injury. If they were really concerned that he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season they would have found a way to work something out with Garcia. The Eagles front office is very good at making deals in the best interest of the team. If they felt they needed Garcia in here for a few weeks at the start of the year they would have found a way to keep him. Either they don't think they'll need him or they feel that AJ can handle the job for a while. Either way, Holcomb isn't a sign of McNabb's progress (or lack of progress). In fact last week, NBC10 reported that McNabb has already started some light running. If that's true I think he'll be ready for opening day.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
              You could also turn that around and say they must know DMac still has a lot of great years because they aren't lookng for a youngster to groom.
              If true, that is foolish on the Eagles part. When DMac finally retires/runs out of steam, we need to have a guy who has held the clipboard for 2-3 years. I don't know about you guys but I think McNabb only has 2-3 years left of good ball. Unless the Eagles change philosophy and build a dominant defense, McNabb wont be able to extend his career like Steve McNair. Remember, McNair was "good" last year because of that Baltimore D. Donovan is expected to carry the team.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                Donovan is expected to carry the team.
                Ordinarily i'd agree w/ that, but based on Marty taking over the play-calling and the bigger commitment to running the football, i think that Donovan will be relied on less to 'carry the team', and thus extending his productive years.

Comment

I like that Holcomb is here. He is a solid back up. Then again - I'm not sure he's going to be on the roster come week 1. An injury to another team's QB might make Holcomb a nice trading chip.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                    I like that Holcomb is here. He is a solid back up. Then again - I'm not sure he's going to be on the roster come week 1. An injury to another team's QB might make Holcomb a nice trading chip.
                    True, the Eagles with QBs are like the Broncos w/ RBs. Take any journeyman, coach them up a bit, insert them into the Eagles offense, and watch them produce. Except for Mike McMahon, of course.

Comment

Fully agree, Holcomb wasn't something the Eagles went after by all accounts. He was a salary dump for the Bills and was part of the deal, just so happens that it does fill a spot the Eagles were going to have to deal with in the draft, and still might.

I'll fight anyone on this board that doesn't think #5 will be under center for the first snap of 2007!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Or the Eagles simply didn't want to give up a higher round draft pick, didn't want to draft a LONGSHOT project at QB (remember, for every Tom Brady there is a Tim Chang), and decided to simply pay Holcomb to hold the clipboard for them.
                        "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                          I sure hope so but this injury is a year injury, Donny is not getting any younger, so his rehab time COULD BE effected by it. I really want to hope that Donny Mac is back by game one but this move is curious to me and one that makes me think that at least in the Eagles mind they needed to have a number 3 that could be a number 2 for an extended period of time.
                          I agree that this is some insurance that we have a viable QB 'rotation' in the event that D-Mac is NOT ready.
                          McNabb/Feely/Holcomb sounds a lot more reassuring than McNabb/Feely/Jeff Mraz (QB from Yale).

But this STILL fails to address the number 1 remaining question:

WHO IS THE HOLDER???
                          (i'm thinking here...)

Comment

Bingo...
                            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Holcomb is a pretty good QB, he's nice insurance to have.
                              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                              X