Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
    Originally posted by Eagle60
    I like the fact that they are going after Quality instead of hoping to find diamonds in the rough. That has always been my axw to grind with the FO. The year that they went after Freak and Owens put them over the top so to speak. They have gone after talent again this year with Curtis, Spikes, and even Holcomb. I admit, Reagor is a mystery to me. I simply don't know much about him. Apperently they do, and at this point I'm inclined to trust them. They were smart to bring in Jasper last year, and maybe they should have kept him.
    See, I could not disagree more....

What is wrong with getting good value for one's cap dollars? Nothing IMO...and those "diamonds in the rough" have yielded players like Jackson, Akers, Thomas, Mikell, Fraley, Walker, Baskett et al.

This is another way of calling them cheap and it is really unfair IMO...there is a huge difference between getting great value for your $ and being cheap...

The year they went after TO and Freak resulted in the SB for two very major reasons: HEALTH and EXECUTION.

McNabb, Westy, Dawk, Trot and all the other good players on offense and defense minus only TO in the Dallas game were healthy for the FIRST time together...

It was not that we signed two expensive quality FA IMO...we had gotten within a eyelash of the SB 3 previous times and it was health and execution that killed us IMO...

NE won a SB after dumping good players and not signing any impact FA...who did the Steelers sign before their SB run? How did the Colts win it all after DUMPING James and drafting a rookie RB to carry the load?
    What the hell are you talking about VFK? Not one of those guys are guys that we went after to fill a need. I'm talking about all the stiffs we tried to bring in at Linebacker and wr that were garbage. Holes that needed to be filled that were filled with crap. Getting rid of Trotter, and then thinking that a guy on Atlanta's bench would fill the spot (Simmy and Kirkland). Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Just for once I'd like you to be objective and think that maybe some time in their history that Eagle FO made a mistake. It diesn't make them or you a bad person.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I hate the word value. That word and the world of the NFL IMO doesn't match up very well. WR has been a problem forever. DM rarely gets the luxury of having a consistently talented WR Corps at his disposal. This has been a problem forever and probably goes back at least 5 years now. they tried value patch jobs and they have failed. their one shot was TO, and he turned out to be a freaking mental case. LB is more of the same, supposedly cost effective alternatives. Simoneau sucked/ D Jones/ L Kirkland. On top of that they've drafted poorly at both of these positions, the exception being R Brown. Cheap isn't a word I would use, but they're certainly repeatedly botched fixing these two positions for eons and still counting. Time will tell if the current movers will work, but this is the kind of effort we could of used 3 years ago.
      Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

I like the fact that they are going after Quality instead of hoping to find diamonds in the rough. That has always been my axw to grind with the FO. The year that they went after Freak and Owens put them over the top so to speak. They have gone after talent again this year with Curtis, Spikes, and even Holcomb. I admit, Reagor is a mystery to me. I simply don't know much about him. Apperently they do, and at this point I'm inclined to trust them. They were smart to bring in Jasper last year, and maybe they should have kept him.
        See, I could not disagree more....

What is wrong with getting good value for one's cap dollars? Nothing IMO...and those "diamonds in the rough" have yielded players like Jackson, Akers, Thomas, Mikell, Fraley, Walker, Baskett et al.

This is another way of calling them cheap and it is really unfair IMO...there is a huge difference between getting great value for your $ and being cheap...

The year they went after TO and Freak resulted in the SB for two very major reasons: HEALTH and EXECUTION.

McNabb, Westy, Dawk, Trot and all the other good players on offense and defense minus only TO in the Dallas game were healthy for the FIRST time together...

It was not that we signed two expensive quality FA IMO...we had gotten within a eyelash of the SB 3 previous times and it was health and execution that killed us IMO...

NE won a SB after dumping good players and not signing any impact FA...who did the Steelers sign before their SB run? How did the Colts win it all after DUMPING James and drafting a rookie RB to carry the load?
        What the hell are you talking about VFK? Not one of those guys are guys that we went after to fill a need. I'm talking about all the stiffs we tried to bring in at Linebacker and wr that were garbage. Holes that needed to be filled that were filled with crap. Getting rid of Trotter, and then thinking that a guy on Atlanta's bench would fill the spot (Simmy and Kirkland). Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Just for once I'd like you to be objective and think that maybe some time in their history that Eagle FO made a mistake. It diesn't make them or you a bad person.
        C'mon 60 stick to the topic... no need to take a personal swipe and call me an apologist again...it makes you appear really petty IMO.

You said you were glad the Eagles went after quality rather than always looking for "diamonds in the rough"...

I merely pointed out most of those "diamonds in the rough" have helped the team win alot of games and should not be overlooked so much by you and others...as it has been pointed out many times here, guys like Thrash for example, have posted better seasons than a "quality" guy like Stallworth...

And some of the "quality" guys brought in by teams flop....Howard was a flop last year for example....Spikes could be a flop too, we will not know until he plays, but if he is he will be an expensive one like Howard and if a team makes too many of those they will definitely suffer due to the cap system...

Simy is a valid mistake by the Eagles...they wanted to get a young guy on the rise so they could get several good years out of him...they misjudged the evaluation, but that does not invalidate the approach IMO since again we have seen it work very well with guys like Akers, Jackson, Thomas et al.

The Eagles have made plenty of mistakes...I nor others have ever denied that...all I have said is it usually is an error in execution or evaluation rather than the approach based on value for one's $...
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by nc
          I hate the word value. That word and the world of the NFL IMO doesn't match up very well. WR has been a problem forever. DM rarely gets the luxury of having a consistently talented WR Corps at his disposal. This has been a problem forever and probably goes back at least 5 years now. they tried value patch jobs and they have failed. their one shot was TO, and he turned out to be a freaking mental case. LB is more of the same, supposedly cost effective alternatives. Simoneau sucked/ D Jones/ L Kirkland. On top of that they've drafted poorly at both of these positions, the exception being R Brown. Cheap isn't a word I would use, but they're certainly repeatedly botched fixing these two positions for eons and still counting. Time will tell if the current movers will work, but this is the kind of effort we could of used 3 years ago.
          Again, I agree their execution and evaluation at those two positions can be questioned, but looking for value and getting good return for your $ is never a bad thing IMO...it is one of the main reasons the Eagles have been able to be competitive for so long and why some of their bad evaluation decisions have not bitten them as hard as they would other teams...

This is the "kind of effort we could have used 3 years ago" I think derives more from these moves are what you fans wanted for years to happen and in the fashion you wanted the moves to be made (good, expensive vets).

We'll see if it is any more successful...if its not, well then we have our answer I guess...

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK,

I am sticking to the topic my friend. The topic is "change of philosophy" I recall. When was the last time you saw this FO rewrite conatracts to fit someone in under the (Popper bows head) sacred salary cap?

Comment

VFK,

I am sticking to the topic my friend. The topic is "change of philosophy" I recall. When was the last time you saw this FO rewrite conatracts to fit someone in under the (Popper bows head) sacred salary cap?
              And no one is arguing they have not changed their philosophy....the point seems to be this is the FIRST time they have...

The point several of us are trying to make is it is NOT the first time, but just the latest time....they have changed many times many different ways over the years...as part of their approach to do whatever it takes to build a team that can win...

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK,

And no one is arguing they have not changed their philosophy....the point seems to be this is the FIRST time they have...

The point several of us are trying to make is it is NOT the first time, but just the latest time....they have changed many times many different ways over the years...as part of their approach to do whatever it takes to build a team that can win...
                OK. I'm in too good of an EAGLE MOOD to go on anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X