Chooch back in the fold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chooch back in the fold

3 years, $26 million. Fourth year team option.

A couple of teams were apparently in for Chooch, including the Red Sox. I'm sure that's why they had to go to the third year.

Given the thin market for catchers and the uncertainty around former prospects like Tommy Joseph (out much of last year with a concussions) and Sebastian Valle (overall deterioration in play), I'm OK with this move. Chooch will likely decline, perhaps rapidly, in year 2 or 3.

But I think they will get 2 solid starting years from him and he will begin to split time with Joseph or Rupp or whoever at some point in Year 2.

I was terrified they were going to sign Pierczynski, who I hate. They were never going to give McCann the money he wanted.

And who doesn't love Chooch? They are all in decline, but I have no problem keeping a few guys from the old core around while they transition to younger players. I will love those guys forever.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Good move based on the "talent " and cost of what was available.

Chooch just needs to get back on the PED's. .........................Just Kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      Good move based on the "talent " and cost of what was available.

Chooch just needs to get back on the PED's. .........................Just Kidding.

Actually, he has now had his Adderall prescription approved by MLB, so he can't get suspended for that anymore.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Yea, I like him so I'm good with this but I really thought they were getting their future when they got T. Joseph in trade.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
          Yea, I like him so I'm good with this but I really thought they were getting their future when they got T. Joseph in trade.
          Joseph sustained a bad concussion last year and missed much of the season. His future as a catcher is somewhat up in the air, although I believe he is catching this winter in Dominican ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
            Joseph sustained a bad concussion last year and missed much of the season. His future as a catcher is somewhat up in the air, although I believe he is catching this winter in Dominican ball.
            Yea I'm with you. I thought he would be the future but if asked right now I would say it is going to take a whole lot for him to come back from that. Disappointing to me esp since my 63 year old B in Law has been a SF fan since the beginning and he hated seeing us get Joseph. Now, not so much
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Working...
            X