Utley.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utley.....

So he has re-upped for 2 plus....... anybody Surprised? Happy ? Disappointed?

Not surprised. Happy? eh, he'll never be the old Utley but he will be serviceable when healthy and I am not sure Galvis will ever be an everyday guy. The only thing for me is that baseball is guaranteed money. The Phils take a risk that he will stay healthy; if he doesn't he should give up the cash from the rest of the contract. We all know that will never happen.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I kinda get it. Too often we let some of our guys "leave home". I'm kinda glad he will "probably" stay and retire here. And while he certainly won't be the Chase of old, his quiet leadership and work ethic might just be a good thing as the team changes over.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
        I kinda get it. Too often we let some of our guys "leave home". I'm kinda glad he will "probably" stay and retire here. And while he certainly won't be the Chase of old, his quiet leadership and work ethic might just be a good thing as the team changes over.
        if you are going to bring youngsters on board keeping one of the best prepared guys in the game around is a priority in my mind. These kids will get to see him in action every day.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Intangibles don't hit curveballs.
          Taking It One Game At A Time

Comment

If they are overpaying Utley as sort of a thank you for past work (similar to what the Eagles should have done with Dawkins), I'm ok with that. Utley is a phillie through and through.

But if they think this is the state of his talent/game and risk, then Ruben has serious issues.

Put it another way, if he was a free agent and they signed him to that contract, I'd be pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by WhizKid View Post
              Intangibles don't hit curveballs.
              True.

But intangibles can help show the youngsters how to go about learning how to hit curveballs... and the work ethic needed to fix many problems that may arise.

Comment

Tangible talent hits curve balls. Intangible leadership skills do not.
                Taking It One Game At A Time

Comment

Working...
                X