Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

If there was ever a doubt that there are a lot of people who are dumb as shit this should erase it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Zepster
Pro Bowler

Zepster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan View Post
I don't think I've ever taken a Steeler in my fantasy draft.
I had Mendenhall 2yrs ago he was the 1 and only Squeeler I've ever had in fantasy. I've never had a Cowpuke on any fantasy team, 22yrs. and running.

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!
Zepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

YourPalChrisMal is an unknown quantity at this point

This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...outh#storyjump

Quote:
Sometimes athletes say dumb things, but this one... this one ranks right up there with the dumbest of all time. It comes courtesy of Steelers' RB Rashard Mendenhall, who talked about the reaction to Osama Bin Laden's death on his twitter page...
What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side..." Mendenhall's page also said: "For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn ... I ask how would God feel about your heart?"
I assume you probably had to go back and read that just to be sure it said what you thought it did. Now, I can have some sympathy for someone who is a bit put off by the joyous reaction. I don't personally feel that way but at least I can understand it...

But "we've only heard one side?" We've "never even heard him speak?" Seriously?! You don't remember what happened when we heard "his side?"

He didn't stop there however...

Mendenhall went to say that we don't even know whether Bin Laden was behind the attacks and that it's just the government that tells (Actually OBL claimed credit but whatever). And he even expressed doubt it was even planes that brought down the twin towers.
"We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."
Because he's an engineer or something I assume? This is one of things that's so beyond dumb, you have to wonder how he ever recovers from it from a PR standpoint. Everyone is going to be upset at this guy.

Frankly, I was cringing when I read it.

Steelers president Art Rooney even seemed dumbfounded as to how to respond. "it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments."
YourPalChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

BIGPHILLY has disabled reputation

Mendenhall is really quite the genius. He majored in Sports Management in college so he's well prepared and educated to speak in this case.

Fail.

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
BIGPHILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I heard he even went to a class or two during college.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
saratoga
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

saratoga

I frequently remind my 9 year old boy that just because a thought comes into your head doesn't mean you must say it out loud to others.

Or tweet it to the world.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

tinopuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I frequently remind my 9 year old boy that just because a thought comes into your head doesn't mean you must say it out loud to others.
That's good advice to anyone of any age. To quote Abe Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
tinopuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

YourPalChrisMal is an unknown quantity at this point

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/R...n-Laden-050511

Tweets are costly for Mendenhall

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall was dropped by a corporate sponsor Thursday over his controversial comments about Usama bin Laden's death.

Athletic brand Champion said it was ending its business relationship with the 23-year-old because it didn't think he could "appropriately represent" it, USA Today reported.

"Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Usama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed," a statement from the company said.

"In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers.

"While we respect Mr. Mendenhall's right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, we no longer believe that Mr. Mendenhall can appropriately represent Champion and we have notified Mr. Mendenhall that we are ending our business relationship."

On Wednesday, Mendenhall apologized for a series of tweets in which he questioned why Americans were celebrating the death of bin Laden.

He also questioned the events of 9/11 in remarks posted after news of the terror chief's demise broke Sunday. His comments prompted an angry backlash on Twitter and criticism across the sports world.

In a blog called "Clarification," Mendenhall wrote Wednesday that his tweets were misconstrued, and said he did not mean to imply support for the al Qaeda leader or any anti-American sentiment.

"First, I want people to understand that I am not in support of bin Laden, or against the USA," he wrote. "I understand how devastating 9/11 was to this country and to the people whose families were affected. Not just in the US, but families all over the world who had relatives in the World Trade Centers.

"My heart goes out to the troops who fight for our freedoms everyday, not being certain if they will have the opportunity to return home, and the families who watch their loved ones bravely go off to war."

He added that the tweets were not meant to cause harm or pain.

"I apologize to anyone I unintentionally harmed with anything that I said, or any hurtful interpretation that was made and put in my name."

Following Sunday night's news of bin Laden's killing by US Navy SEALs, Mendenhall wrote on his Twitter account, "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side."

Mendenhall went on to say, "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."

In his blog Wednesday, Mendenhall said the tweets were "only meant to encourage [people] to think."

He added that he found it hypocritical for Americans to celebrate someone's death.

"I wasn't questioning bin Laden's evil acts. I believe that he will have to face God for what he has done. I was reflecting on our own hypocrisy.

During 9/11 we watched in horror as parts of the world celebrated death on our soil. Earlier this week, parts of the world watched us in horror celebrating a man's death," he wrote.
YourPalChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

good. dumb people shouldn't be allowed to make money. (and yet they do.)
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote