Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

I think the main problem is he's seen too many of those Bang cartoons where he's wearing the lederhosen, riding crop, and talking in a hammed up German accent.

Does it count as a violation of Godwin's Law for Tom to invoke this in a media conference?
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

This is from 2004 Sports Pickle:

Quote:

Tom Coughlin Seizes Power in Germany
Tom Coughlin rallied the German people this morning in his first-ever speech as Chancellor. His address focused on restoring discipline and national pride.
Buoyed by his victory over Washington on Sunday, New York Giants supreme leader Tom Coughlin stormed to power in Germany today, seizing power from Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and imposing martial law throughout the country.

Coughlin gained control of the country this morning after an emergency referendum vote was called by the German parliament. Running as a member of the neo-Nazi National Democratic Party (NPD), the Giants’ coach received more than two-thirds of the vote.

“The German heritage of discipline, hard work and pragmatism is something I have long identified with,” said Coughlin. “I have imposed them on every organization I have been a part of and will do so again to ensure Germany regains its place as an unrivaled world power.”

Faced with a stagnant economy and rising unemployment, Schroeder and his Social Democrats lost popularity of late to the country’s far-right nationalistic parties. The German parliament held the emergency referendum after Coughlin expressed interest in the position after Sunday’s victory over the Redskins.

“I’m always looking for new challenges,” said Coughlin. “I feel that if I demand and receive discipline from the Giants players and the German people, there is no reason I can’t be successful as both coach and Fuhrer.”

“Fuhrer Coughlin has long been admired by many in Germany within the neo-Nazi party,” said Holger Apfel, a prominent neo-Nazi leader. “We were ecstatic to vote for him. His aggressive approach to leadership and willingness to eliminate those who are weak, as well as the poor economic conditions under which he gained power, beckons the great Adolph Hitler himself.”

But it is Coughlin’s many similarities to Hitler that have worried those within the Giants’ organization, as well as millions in Germany and across the world.

“Having Tom Coughlin in charge of one of the most powerful countries in the world is now a sobering reality,” said British Prime Minister Tony Blair. “We hope he will not resort to extreme positions that have marked the history of his career and the Nazi party, but he should consider himself warned that he will be met with stiff resistance should he step out of line. There will be no appeasement.”

Coughlin, however, expresses unabashed respect for the genocidal former dictator of Germany.

“It is undeniable that Hitler had many good ideas and accomplished numerous things for the German people during his reign,” said Coughlin. “He made some mistakes, yes, but I choose to model myself on his many positive characteristics. I do not choose to pick a fight with the rest of the world, but all those who stand in my way will be crushed.”

Coughlin said he will divide his required duties equally between the Giants and Germany.

“I will be working 20 hour days indefinitely and my time will be stretched very thin,” he said. “So it is absolutely imperative that everyone show up on time for scheduled meetings.”
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
AToney
Starter

AToney has disabled reputation

There's a blog?

j/k
AToney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AToney
There's a blog?

j/k

The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
Old 03-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
FRESH 
The lesser half...
Hall of Famer

FRESH is on a distinguished road

sf, you're really showing your ass on this one. Please. Anyone taking offense at this thing is just LOOKING for something to be offended by. It doesn't surprise me if members of the media try to work this up into a story, it's what they do. But rational thinking people should have no more reaction than, "What a dope". And he IS a dope, but who cares.

But then, I didn't get all worked up about Parcells talking about his "Jap plays" either. Nor do I have a problem with Washington's team being calledthe "redskins". Perhaps I am socially/racially insensitive?? LOL!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
PMD
Benchwarmer

PMD has disabled reputation

He is using exaggeration to make his "point". Obviously he realizes the difference between the hatred people have for Hitler and the hatred Giants fans have for him. Maybe coaches and players should just have processors installed after they are hired/drafted so they never say anything that might offend a few people.
PMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

What? I basically said it was a tasteless analogy and that he's a dope. It's not like i'm calling for a boycott of Jewish themed Giants gear or anything. You been drinking early again, Fresh?

And do you not agree that people should just be quiet? Especially in the public eye?
:
Old 03-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
FRESH 
The lesser half...
Hall of Famer

FRESH is on a distinguished road

I thought you were gung-ho for stringing him up for his comment, sf. Maybe I misread you. Glad you're not taking it seriously.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
stocknowledge 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stocknowledge has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD
Oi vei. Too many Larry Literals in this world.
And too many Abraham H. Foxman's!!!

stocknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #20
beagle
2011 Contributor
Veteran

beagle has disabled reputation

I do not think he should be strung up. It is just another example of his stupidity to compare his situation to Hitler. TC or anyother coach just are not that important.
I do think it shows the Giants made a mistake in not showing him the door at the end of the season.
Most importantly I am glad AR is our coach, he hasn't made any comparisons to himself and a mass murderer.