Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: I have the luck of a bucket of shit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I have the luck of a bucket of shit!

A friend of mine has more money than he knows what to do with, so a few years ago he started buying into race horses. He's lost a lot of money since then and it capped off with him buying into a horse only to have it diagnosed two weeks later with some odd disease that prevented it from running. He was obviously upset and told the stable owner that he wanted his money back. the guy refused to give him a refund but did offer to transfer the points to another horse. That horse is named Animal Kingdom.

A few weeks ago Rich sent me an email saying that the horse had qualified for the Derby. I threw $50 on him to win but my friend asked if he could change the bet so I'd have a better chance of winning something if AK placed or showed. Sure what the hell, I don't know anything about races. Needless to say when he won the derby on Saturday I had some mild success cashing in for $500 on a $50 bet.

My wife was pretty happy that we'd have some extra money right now (God knows we need it!) So this morning as I'm driving in to work I smell something burning and see an old junker car in the mirror and figure the guy is burning oil. Then I come to a stop light and suddenly smoke starts pouring out from under my hood!

I park the car, turn off the engine and pop the hood. After it cooled down I figured it was a leaking hose and drove it to the mechanic. I just got the call that the AC Compressor seized up the belt that runs from the compressor to the alternator melted, taking out the alternator too! So this little repair is going to eat up the extra $500 we won plus another $225 on top of that!!

We'll I was a little bit ahead for almost 48 whole hours! In the words of Buck Owens, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

I have similar luck. It seems like when extra money comes my way I can expect extra expense to be right around the corner.

Try to look on the bright side - You probably would have had the same problem with your car if you hadn't have won the $500!
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Yeah I keep telling myself that stock, but the fact that it happened so damned close to the win is a slap in the face!

Comment

I feel bad sharing that my boss just last month gave me a 5k bonus that I didn't ask for.

Actually, I feel like there is some bad mojo on the other side of that. Our company is strugggling, and I think he gave me that bonus to keep me from thinking too hard about jumping ship to the competition (which several have recently done) as I am his biggest earner over the last 3 years. I'm worried my company may be soon headed down the crapper........which would leave me unemployed.

Sounds like I'd better start betting on the ponies!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Only bet on the horses if you have a good maintenance plan on your car!!!

Comment

Well I submitted my tax return on Feb 15th and it's now May 9th and the Federal Government owes me $6,500. Seems they don't know how to install software to deal with homebuyer tax credit info.

I called the IRS and the lady tells me this and that - I said "Lady - I deal with financial systems for a living every day. Don't tell people what you just told me because you're clueless. Someone didn't install and test properly so you hold my money."

She tried to argue but didn't work well for her. Then I say "So since tax day was april 18th - if I owed you money - I'd have penalties and interest. I begin accruing interest on my $6,500 right?"

What do you think she said? Exactly "No sir. You being accruing interest in June"

How the hell does that make any sense? Arbitrarily in June?

Went straight to my payroll department change my W4 to basically give the Fed nothing. Last time in my entire life they can have my money upfront.

(Before you all go nuts on me for having such a huge return - we itemize and it's impossible to guess what I should withhold or not)

So I am out $6,500 and believe Obama is probably eating a $500 lobster right now.
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
              A friend of mine has more money than he knows what to do with, so a few years ago he started buying into race horses. He's lost a lot of money since then and it capped off with him buying into a horse only to have it diagnosed two weeks later with some odd disease that prevented it from running. He was obviously upset and told the stable owner that he wanted his money back. the guy refused to give him a refund but did offer to transfer the points to another horse. That horse is named Animal Kingdom.

A few weeks ago Rich sent me an email saying that the horse had qualified for the Derby. I threw $50 on him to win but my friend asked if he could change the bet so I'd have a better chance of winning something if AK placed or showed. Sure what the hell, I don't know anything about races. Needless to say when he won the derby on Saturday I had some mild success cashing in for $500 on a $50 bet.

My wife was pretty happy that we'd have some extra money right now (God knows we need it!) So this morning as I'm driving in to work I smell something burning and see an old junker car in the mirror and figure the guy is burning oil. Then I come to a stop light and suddenly smoke starts pouring out from under my hood!

I park the car, turn off the engine and pop the hood. After it cooled down I figured it was a leaking hose and drove it to the mechanic. I just got the call that the AC Compressor seized up the belt that runs from the compressor to the alternator melted, taking out the alternator too! So this little repair is going to eat up the extra $500 we won plus another $225 on top of that!!

We'll I was a little bit ahead for almost 48 whole hours! In the words of Buck Owens, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."
              Somehow you picked the Derby winner and you think that you hae bad luck? Does not comput.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
              X