Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 01-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
bird is da word
Veteran

bird is da word has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD
I punt on 4th & 15. They just went from the elation of getting the first to the dejection of screwing up. There are far fewer 15 yard plays in the playbook than 10 yard plays. And while they got that 4th & 10, it was ridiculously close to a sack. AND, the Saints were 5 yards closer to a FG after the penalty and if you don't pick it up, or god forbid get sacked, you're looking at being down 6 on your own 30 w/1:00 or down 3 on your own 40 w/1:00 left.

The question deserves to be asked, but the correct call is to punt, IMO. Either way, it's not a slam dunk.

And I don't think it's fair to say they didn't fight by punting. They fought their asses off until the final second ticked off the clock.
give them the f'n field goal and get the ball back...a touchdown still wins. you never give up the chance to control the game and that is what reid did
bird is da word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
EFD
Pro Bowler

EFD has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird is da word
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD
I punt on 4th & 15. They just went from the elation of getting the first to the dejection of screwing up. There are far fewer 15 yard plays in the playbook than 10 yard plays. And while they got that 4th & 10, it was ridiculously close to a sack. AND, the Saints were 5 yards closer to a FG after the penalty and if you don't pick it up, or god forbid get sacked, you're looking at being down 6 on your own 30 w/1:00 or down 3 on your own 40 w/1:00 left.

The question deserves to be asked, but the correct call is to punt, IMO. Either way, it's not a slam dunk.

And I don't think it's fair to say they didn't fight by punting. They fought their asses off until the final second ticked off the clock.
give them the f'n field goal and get the ball back...a touchdown still wins. you never give up the chance to control the game and that is what reid did
So you're saying that it's better to have the ball with 1:00 left, down by 6, with the ball on your own 25 (the expected Reno return) rather than 1:00 left, down by 3, with the ball on your own 40 (estimate based on the Saints receiving our punt on their 20)? That's crazy talk.

Situation A - you have 1:00 to go 75 yards w/no timeouts to win
Situation B - you have 1:00 to go 25 yards w/no timeouts to tie
EFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
heath sherman
Benchwarmer

heath sherman has disabled reputation

i think we should factor into the decision that we've spent 8 quarters this season not stopping the saints offense and deuce mcallister's 7 YPC average.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
EFD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heath sherman
i think we should factor into the decision that we've spent 8 quarters this season not stopping the saints offense and deuce mcallister's 7 YPC average.
That's fair. But you should also factor in that when he racked that 7 YPC average the Eagles were geared up to stop the run AND the pass. In that situation you load up to stop the run, and therefore should expect you'd be able to do better. They didn't, of course, but that's not known at the time of the decision.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
bird is da word
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD

So you're saying that it's better to have the ball with 1:00 left, down by 6, with the ball on your own 25 (the expected Reno return) rather than 1:00 left, down by 3, with the ball on your own 40 (estimate based on the Saints receiving our punt on their 20)? That's crazy talk.

Situation A - you have 1:00 to go 75 yards w/no timeouts to win
Situation B - you have 1:00 to go 25 yards w/no timeouts to tie
wrong...you need to factor

A - eagles get the first down and continue the drive on 4th and 15

why leave that play on the sidelines...punting gave the game away. I closed down the TV and shut off the lights and went to bed after that stupid fucking punt
Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
EFD
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Right. And teams had been 1 for 19 in that regard. So add in the 5% chance of converting that. If they blow it, then my A/B scenario remains.

Quote:
why leave that play on the sidelines...punting gave the game away. I closed down the TV and shut off the lights and went to bed after that stupid fucking punt
I've explained why you play the odds and punt, but you apparently aren't interested in going below surface level to see about it. Heck, you apparently turned the game off after the punt, so why bother trying to go deep on this with you? Go call WIP and explain how Andy Reid knows less about football than you do, because you obviously would have gone for it, gotten it, then won the game. You've apparently got it all figured out.

bird is da word for Head Coach!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #17
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJack
We had our chances.

I think, most of us would have gone for it again. BUT, the defense had the chance to stop the 'aints, and they failed one last time.

It was a tough loss to swallow. No excuses. The saints beat us. Congrats to them.
Spot on.
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #18
bird is da word
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD
Quote:

Right. And teams had been 1 for 19 in that regard. So add in the 5% chance of converting that. If they blow it, then my A/B scenario remains.

[quote:f6644]why leave that play on the sidelines...punting gave the game away. I closed down the TV and shut off the lights and went to bed after that stupid fucking punt
I've explained why you play the odds and punt, but you apparently aren't interested in going below surface level to see about it. Heck, you apparently turned the game off after the punt, so why bother trying to go deep on this with you? Go call WIP and explain how Andy Reid knows less about football than you do, because you obviously would have gone for it, gotten it, then won the game. You've apparently got it all figured out.

bird is da word for Head Coach![/quote:f6644]

you are the only fool in this country who thinks punting was the right move. this was no different than 4th and 26. you take your chance. it has nothing to do with stats...converting is no guarantee but you keep your opportunities flowing if you convert...if you don't your in the same scenario as punting.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
EFD
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFD
Quote:

[quote:be135]why leave that play on the sidelines...punting gave the game away. I closed down the TV and shut off the lights and went to bed after that stupid fucking punt

bird is da word for Head Coach!
you are the only fool in this country who thinks punting was the right move. this was no different than 4th and 26. you take your chance. it has nothing to do with stats...converting is no guarantee but you keep your opportunities flowing if you convert...if you don't your in the same scenario as punting.[/quote:be135]

I'm not the only person that thinks punting was the right move.

This was way different than 4th & 26 in that the time on the clock was different and the game couldn't have been tied with a FG. So you're either lying or just stupid when you say that.

And you're NOT in the same scenario if you don't make it. You need a TD instead of a FG.

Really dude, you're falling apart. I hope you're really drunk or something because these pitches are straight down the plate and you're missing pretty badly.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #20
bird is da word
Veteran

well...i am glad your method proved to be loser. it was a pussy move for pussies like yourself