Wilco - Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilco - Live

Last night, I saw Wilco live at the 930 club in D.C. It was the second time that I have seen them at the 930, which is a great venue because it is relatively small (I think 900 max.). Anyway, it was (of course) a great show. Tweedy seemed much more relaxed than the last time I saw him (I think he had just gotten out of rehab the last time I saw him), and his voice was much stronger. The new guitarist, Nels Cline, was amazing. (Yes, Vin, they played "Impossible Germany," and it was fantastic!). I was also impressed with the drummer, Glenn Kotche.

If there is a tighter (even with the constant personnel changes) or harder-working band than Wilco in concert, I would like to see them!

Did anyone catch the show outside Philly? I know they played the Tower Theater in Upper Darby on Sunday. Wonder if they were just as phenomenal.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Re: Wilco - Live

stock - I'm jealous. I saw a review of the show at the Tower which was favorable. Nels Cline has become my favorite guitarist because of songs like Impossible Germany. So glad you saw them at the 9:30 club. Must have been great. I'm sure some of the performance will show up on Youtube.

Comment

Hate to tell you this, Steve, but I had an extra ticket (my girlfriend did not want to go) which I ended up eating (I would have gladly given it to you!)! When I arrived, I went in early because I collect rock posters and I wanted to be sure to get a poster (The poster is great. I'll see if I can get an image.). No one was looking for a ticket when I went outside to put the poster in a tube and lock it in my car. So, I went back inside where I grabbed a great spot 12 feet from the stage in the center. I was reluctant to move after that!

Anyway, I was very close to the band and the concert was worth the price of two tickets!

If you ever get the chance to see Wilco in a small arena, don't pass it up!
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

saw them at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley this past summer. it was a greatshow. i agree that Cline is a terrific addition. i just wish Tweedy would let Cline stretch out a bit more in concert.

Comment

Betty, Tweedy must have gotten your message, because I didn't see anybody holding back anything. Tweedy said that they were leaving puddles on the stage, and I believed him.

They rocked. Before the show, I didn't think Wilco songs had that much rockin power in them. But, they do! I don't know whether it was because Tweedy was feeling so good, but they really let it all out. Maybe Cline is having some influence over the sound/direction of the band.

Comment

Another review (He was probably standing three feet to my right!) ==>> http://indiemuse.com/2008/02/27/wilco-930-review/

Comment

I believe these were from the following night stock but thought you'd enjoy anyway:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... -dc-022708

They played SNL on Saturday. It was good but not great. They played two tunes (Hate it Here & Walken) that don't highlight Nels Cline all that much.

Comment

Great photos! Thanks, Steve.

I saw the SNL performances, and also thought that they were good, not great. I was a little surprised at the song choices. They were two of the least commercial or easily accepted songs. I am thinking that they were selected because they featured all of the band members (at least a little of the time) and included the horn section. They also allowed Tweedy himself to show off a little of his guitar skills.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they didn't select the easy choices from the album, because Wilco (Tweedy) has been known to not take the easy commercial path and do things their own way - which IMO probably explains why the band hasn't achieved the success it deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                  I believe these were from the following night stock but thought you'd enjoy anyway:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... -dc-022708

They played SNL on Saturday. It was good but not great. They played two tunes (Hate it Here & Walken) that don't highlight Nels Cline all that much.
                  I guess Impossible Germany would've taken too long.

Walken is a very mediocre song. Either Way would've been my choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X