Damn Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Media

At least they didn't shame Trump into visiting troops in the war zone like they shamed him into going out into the rain while in France for WW commemoration. He needs a few days at Mar A Lago since he had a rough month.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Hmmm, sounds like Congress is beating up the VA and making them fix some reimbursement issues. Of course I'm told our man Trump fixed the VA so it sparkles. My guess is this is the media again trying to make him look bad. Friggin fake news
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Hmmm, sounds like Congress is beating up the VA and making them fix some reimbursement issues. Of course I'm told our man Trump fixed the VA so it sparkles. My guess is this is the media again trying to make him look bad. Friggin fake news
      He's already made the military the strongest and very bestus it's ever been! He can't be expected to do everything. God knows he loves 'his military' and 'his generals'.

Sometimes the Secret Service won't let him show all the love and respect he feels for those who have sacrificed all, like when it's raining. Or sometimes he's just too busy with "affairs of state" and making important phone calls to a bunch of world leaders on Veterans Day to take an hour an go around the corner to Arlington National Cemetery. But we know he really cares because he tells us he does all the time.

After all, actions are easy... it's words that count. And he knows the best words.

Comment

Let me say though for a counter argument:
        Jim Acosta yesterday on CNN International said it’s obvious Trump is keeping his distance from Putin, the Saudi Prince, and Erdogan. So 12-18 months ago he was getting lambasted for being to close to them and now he is not close enough.

I get it guys you don’t like Trump. That’s your right. I don’t care for his tweets and much of his demeanor but I like a lot of the things he is doing. And yet the media that I see takes a negative position every time no matter what. The guy can’t win. This after 8 years of constantly verbally fellating President Obama.

Another example... they are slamming him about not signing the climate change agreement. None of the nation’s that signed it are abiding by it? We are actually doing more and we are no longer in it.

Again guys I don’t love the guy but I don’t hate him either. I’ve just never seen this sort of triangulation in the media to counter a person at every turn.

Back from Italy tonight... sitting in the airport in Naples. I’ll be on the GDT tomorrow although later than I hoped because my daughter has a program that I will not miss.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

AW,

Did you enjoy your visit to Italy? Gotta admit I'm feeling a little envious, especially with a foot of snow on the ground that is now turning to slop because of the moderately heavy rain.

I assume you got to the "ancient" part of the city while you were in Rome. It was kind of mind blowing foe me. Hard to put into words other than 'surreal'.

As far as Trump is concerned, I simply believe he is out only for himself. That was my opinion of him LONG before he ran for president and I've seen nothing from him that would serve to alter my opinion.

So we have a fairly fundamental disagreement about him. And that's OK.

Welcome back.

Comment

aw, we will disagree about the fool that is president. My question is who is this media you talk about? I'll give you that CNN is absolutely biased. Have you ever watched FOX? I watch every day and they are every bit CNN. What party controls most newspaper outlets in the country? Is the Sinclair group in the business of honest media?
            I get fake news emails everyday with clever posters or the like from the guys I run with. Today it was a dozen or so one of which showed Melania with her hand over her heart saying this is something you never saw Michelle do. Really? One about Obama not doing vet day stuff. Really? Did people not just see Trump not go out in the rain in France AND then stay in the white house rather than go to Arlington on Veteran's day.
            There is FAR too much fake news but rest assured it goes both ways.
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

NoDak
              Totally agree on Fox. Don’t really watch them. 95% of the news I watch in my house is FoxBiz. They are quite good IMO. They don’t do the two headed hydra like talking point debate crap that FoxNews does. They do get pundits on but I’m informed enough to know when I’m hearing bullshit from both sides.

I tend to focus on the messenger not the network.

When Jake Tapper, John Roberts, Bret Baier, Major Garrett, and a few others are the source I put credence in what they are reporting and then I do my own investigation to see if I agree. Normally I do.

When Hannity, Ingraham, Fox and Friends, Wolf Blitzer, Rachel Maddow and many others are opining I tend to take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

I will add this though. The media nearly entirely doesn’t like Trump. Every week there are examples of unsourced or lightly sourced stories that throughout the course of the news day become established fact. The process is simple... state something using phrases like troubling, could be, might be, etc. and then talk about it all day on your 24 hr news network and by the end of the day it is virtually fact. I’ve never seen anything like it. CNN’s cryhon is a constant barrage of Trump... something bad. So is MSNBC and the other Msm outlets. Yes Fox is the other way but I’m just gonna tell you guys on during the day like Bill Hemmer, Shep Smith, and Baier are pros and very fair.

I’ve also never seen so much rush to publish and later correct and it’s always a rush to publish something negative with very little true sourcing. And then very unenergetic correcting of the story. And it always runs one way... against Trump.

I did not vote for Trump BTW but HRC was an AWFUL candidate and she is a horrid human being. Nothing could have made me vote for her. She is a wretched person capable of anything. I had hoped Prez Obama would unite the country. He did not. Instead he said I won and tried to pull the country to the Left dramatically. And the media made excuses for him and told us we were bigots if we didn’t just shut up and let him have his way.

I’d consider myself 25% dem, 25% rep, 50% libertarian. I believe in some sort of Medicaid for all, gun control, and think the biggest threat we have is big tech like Amazon, Google and Facebook running the world in a Big Brotherish sort of future. I’m also big on public education and criminal justice reform. I also am uber investigated in concepts like personal accountability, fairness under the law, National defense and border protection. I’m a flat taxer also.

To answer Tino’s other post. I think suggesting a guy worth at least a billion dollars is “in it for the money” is just wrong. Why risk imprisonment if you are already worth at least a billion dollars. I think all these ultra rich - Trump, Gates, Pickens, Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg - are ego driven guys that truly think they can fix what’s broken. I think that’s Trump. He believes he has the answers. I like most of his answers although the package and Tweets he wraps it in is vulgar and unPresidential.

But I excuse it because there are so many people on both sides working against him because all entrenched DC folks on both sides are worried he is going to cook the golden goose of government... because that’s what he is trying to do.

You have to admit DC has been a swamp since probably LBJ. Even Reagan though lauded on the right was a Gov man. Trump is trying I believe to make DC less important and I hope he succeeds. And I am just so tired of the media and pundits constantly trying to convince me he is awful because 85% of people are stupid, don’t understand the issues and can’t make their own decisions or develop their own viewpoints so they adopt the views of their favorite pundit. And that’s dangerous.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post

To answer Tino’s other post. I think suggesting a guy worth at least a billion dollars is “in it for the money” is just wrong. Why risk imprisonment if you are already worth at least a billion dollars. I think all these ultra rich - Trump, Gates, Pickens, Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg - are ego driven guys that truly think they can fix what’s broken. I think that’s Trump. He believes he has the answers. I like most of his answers although the package and Tweets he wraps it in is vulgar and unPresidential.
                AW,
                I would really enjoy sitting down with you (and some beverages of our choice) and with the goal of exploring some of the issues you, and ND and I have raised. As I've 'said' before , you strike me as a well informed, thoughtful and fair minded person. As tempting as it may be, I believe discussing political issues on line is like going down a rabbit hole...much too time consuming and excessively subject to misunderstanding. So I've largely decided to cease beating on Trump on this site. It's fruitless.

But occasionally he does something that is so flatly and obscenely in contradiction to his claimed beliefs that the Devil simply makes me comment here on Misc. His total disrespect/disregard/lazy indifference (take your choice) for the military over the extended Veterans Day weekend was just such an occasion. As a vet I'm am deeply offended every time he plays the phony patriot card. I don't care that he dodged the draft. One way or another all my friends did as well. I do strongly resent the fact that he flaunts the phony patriot card so shamelessly and with such disregard for the truth.

I do want to clear up what I think may be a misunderstanding of my reference to Trump as being "in it only for himself". I am definitely not saying he is in it "only for the money". The accumulation of money is clearly important to him but not as important, IMO, as satisfying his insatiable needs for attention, recognition, and power over others along with an obsessive need to always be seen as 'winning'.

As I've said before, I've followed this guy for 45 years since we moved to New York. Trump, in my view, is the consummate con man and has been all his adult life. What follows is a list of attributes of effective con artists, often considered sociopaths.. For laughs if nothing else, review the list and see how many of these attributes DO NOT fit Donald J Trump.

1. Can be funny, charming, entertaining and likeable.
                2. Display superficial knowledge or skill at something – it proves to be limited or fake.
                3. Have primal perception. Instinctual skill at reading the needs and weaknesses of others.
                4. Are easily offended. They bluster when offended and lash out.
                5. Lie always. About all things – .01% of what they say might be true – like their shoe size.
                6. Believe they’re better than everyone – and hold others in contempt.
                7. Crave a highly regarded reputation. Defend their reputation with outrageous lies – see #5.
                8. Crave status & power via possessions & money.
                9. Have delusions of grandeur.
                10. Mimic authentic emotions & sincerity but have difficulty expressing genuine emotions.
                11. Have little or no real capacity for care, concern or love for others
                12. Strongly inclined to think of themselves as victims.
                13. Are sexually promiscuous and often simultaneously avoid sex with a primary partner.
                14. Will do almost any illegal or immoral that advances their interests.
                15. Think of their 'marks' as pathetic suckers who deserve being taken.
                16. Take pride in their scams. May run several scams simultaneously.
                17. Believe everyone deserves what they do to them.
                18. Smear their victims when things end badly: loudly, publicly, online and in court.
                19. Prone to outbursts of rage.
                20. Know they are monsters – and enjoy it.

Food for thought.

Comment

Tino:
                  Appreciate your comments and most of all appreciate your service. Not trying to date you but based on your age I’m assuming Uncle San gave you a free vacation in SE Asia for 13 months? Thanks! That’s bravery I will never have to display.

My neighbor across the street spent some time in, if I remember correctly, Da Nang. He had a rifle in basic and then became an Army reporter and had to go into some pretty heavy shit a few times and take pics and write some flowery crap about what he saw to help the effort. He fired his gun a few times but sounds like you had a little more action.

I am a student of history and politics no doubt. Over the past 20 years I’ve read about 100-120 Presidential and military biographies. My general opinion is none of these guys are as bad or as good as we think they are. And that is the case with Trump.

I’ll agree he is a con man but no more or less than most successful business persons. When I see Trump I think of the Sr VP and CEO of my company. Same guy. They are big picture delegaters. They generally understand but don’t worry about details. They are nice to your face but would lay you off and burn your house down if it would add a nickel to their stock price.

But let’s be honest Tino. The House and Senate are full of con artists. They take my Social Securuty payment and as a 46 year old promise me it’ll be there for me but do nothing structurally to ensure that. They claim they stand for something and then get money for a pet project or a bridge in their district and vote for something they ran against. Or, in the case of Obama, they tell me if I like my insurance I can keep it and then I find out I can’t.

So I’m ok with a con man in the WH. It takes a con to beat a con. None of these guys have ever really been on our side Tino or at least they haven’t since Eisenhower warned us we were going down the path towards a military industrial complex. The Republicans want money “for the troops” but really they want to make sure McDonnell Douglass and Raytheon get a full sheet of orders so they get money to get re-elected.

I want Trump to expose it all and burn it all to the fucking ground Tino. DC is rotten. He is rotten too but he is peeling back the onion and they are trying to stop him.

I’d think a little bit of you, having gone through the duplicity associated with the Vietnam, and what was withheld and then revealed in the Pentagon papers would want to see this shit laid bare too... but I don’t say that as a slight at all so please don’t take it that way. It’s just my view. I am wanting Trump to strap on the suicide vest and blow it all up and expose it so we can rebuild it.

That’s where my head is at!! God Bless you man.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    AW,
                    I would really enjoy sitting down with you (and some beverages of our choice) and with the goal of exploring some of the issues you, and ND and I have raised. As I've 'said' before , you strike me as a well informed, thoughtful and fair minded person. As tempting as it may be, I believe discussing political issues on line is like going down a rabbit hole...much too time consuming and excessively subject to misunderstanding. So I've largely decided to cease beating on Trump on this site. It's fruitless.

But occasionally he does something that is so flatly and obscenely in contradiction to his claimed beliefs that the Devil simply makes me comment here on Misc. His total disrespect/disregard/lazy indifference (take your choice) for the military over the extended Veterans Day weekend was just such an occasion. As a vet I'm am deeply offended every time he plays the phony patriot card. I don't care that he dodged the draft. One way or another all my friends did as well. I do strongly resent the fact that he flaunts the phony patriot card so shamelessly and with such disregard for the truth.

I do want to clear up what I think may be a misunderstanding of my reference to Trump as being "in it only for himself". I am definitely not saying he is in it "only for the money". The accumulation of money is clearly important to him but not as important, IMO, as satisfying his insatiable needs for attention, recognition, and power over others along with an obsessive need to always be seen as 'winning'.

As I've said before, I've followed this guy for 45 years since we moved to New York. Trump, in my view, is the consummate con man and has been all his adult life. What follows is a list of attributes of effective con artists, often considered sociopaths.. For laughs if nothing else, review the list and see how many of these attributes DO NOT fit Donald J Trump.

1. Can be funny, charming, entertaining and likeable.
                    2. Display superficial knowledge or skill at something – it proves to be limited or fake.
                    3. Have primal perception. Instinctual skill at reading the needs and weaknesses of others.
                    4. Are easily offended. They bluster when offended and lash out.
                    5. Lie always. About all things – .01% of what they say might be true – like their shoe size.
                    6. Believe they’re better than everyone – and hold others in contempt.
                    7. Crave a highly regarded reputation. Defend their reputation with outrageous lies – see #5.
                    8. Crave status & power via possessions & money.
                    9. Have delusions of grandeur.
                    10. Mimic authentic emotions & sincerity but have difficulty expressing genuine emotions.
                    11. Have little or no real capacity for care, concern or love for others
                    12. Strongly inclined to think of themselves as victims.
                    13. Are sexually promiscuous and often simultaneously avoid sex with a primary partner.
                    14. Will do almost any illegal or immoral that advances their interests.
                    15. Think of their 'marks' as pathetic suckers who deserve being taken.
                    16. Take pride in their scams. May run several scams simultaneously.
                    17. Believe everyone deserves what they do to them.
                    18. Smear their victims when things end badly: loudly, publicly, online and in court.
                    19. Prone to outbursts of rage.
                    20. Know they are monsters – and enjoy it.

Food for thought.

I agree with you but you have also described most of Washington. I can't stand the guy but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I don't know how people say he slights the military when every time he gets his face on tv he lauds them and law enforcement too. The military's budget is very healthy and when is the last time ISIS has been in the news? It seems like they're getting things done in Syria but nobody reports that. Unemployment is at 3.7% and he's striking deals all over the world on unfair trade practices that have gone on for decades. He's the only President to stand up to China and he has told Iran to go fuck themselves. I haven't heard any crap from Rocketman lately either. He talks like a drunk in a bar but WTF do I care seeing as though that's how I talk too? He tells you how he feels about 10 times a day with tweets so I'd say that he's transparent whether you like what he says or not and people have been yearning for that forever. He's crass and a braggart but I don't care, he's effective. He's a self promoter that is just more obvious about it than the other bastards are. He's a lot better than most of these guys who have been blowing smoke up my ass my whole life and just live the good life in Washington. As long as the country's economy is good and people are working I'm happy. I understand why people don't like him but I don't understand why they want to just keep electing blowholes that are only interested in getting elected every 2-6 years and will say anything to keep those jobs and go about it ruthlessly. The kind of guys who smile at you whenever they see you while they're screwing your wife. I would really like for somebody to set me straight and tell me what is so bad about what's going on with the country now other than "he's an asshole", blah, blah, blah.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Well 60, like aw I want to see all of Washington blown up---or at least the two parties. They have FAR too much power, money, and greed. Don't buy what you read. I know when he gets on TV he says things but he has difficulty with the truth. I won't go into every one of your points but will hit some highlights.
                      In the last month we have had GIs killed by the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and ISIS. All the big three are still in operation although on a reduced scale. The Taliban and Al Qaeda especially were reduced, went back under their rock, and have come out after retooling. So yea they are in the news.
                      For the last 20+ years the national guard and reserves have carried the active duty in deploying to in the desert and elsewhere. The active duty can not handle worldwide crisis since Ronald Reagan and George Bush came up with the "Total Force" concept. A concept which I was very involved in and agree with. Yet Trump says we are sending the "real military" to the border. Not guard and Reserve guys. Yep the guard and reserve appreciate that a lot. Not the "real military" my ass.
                      He said he knows more than the generals and that he has sacrificed because he went to military prep school. Right. Then took two general officers off national security council in order to put two brainiacs-- Preibus and Bannon. Fortunately that stupidity was short lived.
                      Not too long ago he said he provided the biggest military budgets/pay raises in history. Might want to check that. Military pay raises in 08 were 3.5%, 09 3.9%, 10 3.4%, now in 2017 2.1% and in 18 2.4%. The military budget went from 300 billion in 2000 to 609 billion in 2017 and just under 700 billion in 18. Which looks like he is spending more than anyone until you look and see the budget was 711 billion in 2011. Yep Obama was president during those bigger pay raises and bigger budget. Now, one had to remember a lot of went on. The government was shut down twice over budget issues and the freedom caucus pushed the sequester and Obama included the military in the sequester. Lots and lots of factor but please don't tell me you are providing the biggest raises and budget when the facts don't are easy to find. I could go on but he can say he loves the military (although more often it is that the military loves him) but actions seem to contradict that.
                      Rocketman hasn't been heard from. Really? There is lots of reporting that he has continued to build nuclear weapons and launch sites. That he never destroyed his testing sites but rather made it look like he destroyed them. And the administration admits he isn't living up to anything from their meeting; wants another summit because he isn't living up to any agreements. In fact, the administration never provided any formal agreements; just outlines. And it seems China hasn't owned up to any agreements on what they are going to buy even though Trump touted some significant grain buys along with other stuff at their Argentina meeting. So maybe he stretches what really came about from some of these meetings.
                      I will agree unemployment is down. Down about 1% during his time in office. But unemployment dropped continuously during the Obama years. Trump says he walked into the worst situation the country was in when he took office. Let's see, unemployment had dropped for six straight years. The stock market had risen for six straight years. I'll give you that unemployment dropped during his first year in office and the stock market rose during his first year in office. But neither has done much at all this year. In fact, October was the most volatile month for the stock market since 2008. And the debt increased more in Oct of this year than previous months.
                      I could go on but you will get my point. Hopefully this isn't blah, blah, blah to you
                      I'll be honest in that I believe in Republican policies FAR more than Democratic. In fact, I was a Kasich man long before he ran last time. I hope like hell he runs as an independent. But I will stand by my thought that Donald Trump is a pos that has done, and will do, far more harm for the country than good.
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Yeah Trump exaggerates. I agree that he's a jerk but I do think that he is right on most of his ideas. He's a lot more believable than that Obama bullshitter ever was that I voted for the first time that he ran because I thought that he was different. Stupid me. He's the biggest liar of all the Presidents since Nixon and I can't believe I was foolish enough to believe him. He's one of the worst Presidents that we have ever had as far as I'm concerned. Yes he finally got healthcare through after making a total mess of it. He also just threw gasoline on racial tensions when he had a chance to calm things down on top of his other lies. There were so many other examples but why revisit them again? We will just piss each other off more than anything else and I don't want to do that. Maybe I'm just a cynic when it comes to this stuff and should stay out of these conversations. At least on the board we're not yelling at each other the way conversations go up hear when someone even refers to Trump. I see it whenever I go out with my wife or buddies for lunch. It's insane to tell you the truth. When I first heard the term TDS I thought it was a funny little joke until I realized it's really true in New England.
                        Last edited by Eagle60; 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          Yeah Trump exaggerates. I agree that he's a jerk but I do think that he is right on most of his ideas. He's a lot more believable than that Obama bullshitter ever was that I voted for the first time that he ran because I thought that he was different. Stupid me. He's the biggest liar of all the Presidents since Nixon and I can't believe I was foolish enough to believe him. He's one of the worst Presidents that we have ever had as far as I'm concerned. Yes he finally got healthcare through after making a total mess of it. He also just threw gasoline on racial tensions when he had a chance to calm things down on top of his other lies. There were so many other examples but why revisit them again? We will just piss each other off more than anything else and I don't want to do that. Maybe I'm just a cynic when it comes to this stuff and should stay out of these conversations. At least on the board we're not yelling at each other the way conversations go up hear when someone even refers to Trump. I see it whenever I go out with my wife or buddies for lunch. It's insane to tell you the truth. When I first heard the term TDS I thought it was a funny little joke until I realized it's really true in New England.
                          Lol,,,,, Really?

Comment

[QUOTE=Eagle60;329389]Yeah Trump exaggerates. I agree that he's a jerk but I do think that he is right on most of his ideas. He's a lot more believable than that Obama bullshitter...

Are you saying that Obama lied more than Trump does? Seriously? You really mean that?

Popper,
                            I was going to respond to your earlier post in which you listed Trump's 'accomplishments' but Nodak already said much of what I would have, and more eloquently than I could have. You and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of things in this life...important things... but on Trump we probably couldn't be further apart.

One brief response and 5 words:
                            - You reference Trump's support for the military - Other than spending other people's Tax Dollars (Tax Dollars he brags about personally paying at the lowest minimum posible) his support for the military is limited to 'flag waving' lip service. When it comes to actually "showing up" Donald Trump always stays at home whether it's for active service, a rainy day in France to honor the fallen, an hour out of his "busy schedule" on Veterans Day to lay a wreath at Arlington, or ever visiting our troops in the field instead of another weekend of golf. He would probably "show up" if they let him throw a big parade.

- Con man, coward, and phony.

Comment

Tino
                              Politicians never or rarely lie. They withhold, they toy with language and give words implied meaning that they don’t normally have. Like when Clinton famously said what your definition of is... is.

To say that Trump does this any more or less than Obama is splitting hairs IMO. The current media crop keeps a running tally of the number of times Trump does what politicians have been doing for years. Hell Nero did it.

I’m just saying that you hate the guy and that’s your right and I love and respect you no matter what man.

These guys all play off the same sheet of music when it comes to Communication and because this guy has decided to make the media public enemy number one they are trying everything they can to destroy him. The MSM is fighting for their lives and being exposed for what quite frankly I think they’ve been since Walter Cronkite signed off... complicit in the political agendas and goals of their particular parties and not merely observers who report.

Fly Eagles Fly

Comment

Working...
                              X