No announcement yet.

NFC East TE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about those teams running games? All better than ours, and part of that falls on LJ and his poor blocking.

Comment

MacDaddio passes everywhere... If Dawk ran onto the field- He'd most likely hit him too- I think that being said- Most other QB's don't spread it around like Don... So, I think LJ is on pace for 70 +/- catches this year. I'd like to see LJ with maybe two more TD recept's to date which would put him in a different light. He's great for this team- And his attempt to strip/push/tackle did suck. The season is still young.
      http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

He does have to keep working on his blocking, but again has improved since he came into the league...

Here is how the NFC stocks up in rushing attacks:

Eagles currently rank 6th in the NFC, Dallas, NY and Washington are 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Eagles average 24.6 attempts per game; Dallas = 33.2, NY = 26.2 and Washington = 29.2.

Eagles total rush yards are 570; NY = 500, Dallas = 589 and Washington = 660.

Eagles have an average ypc of 4.6; NY = 4.8, Dallas = 4.4 and Washington = 4.5.

Eagles average 114 yards per game; NY = 125, Dallas = 147 and Washington = 132.

Eagles have scored 7 rush TD; NY = 1, Dallas = 7 and Washington = 5

Eagles have rushed to 31 first downs; NY = 28, Dallas = 32 and Washington = 36.

So, yes our three division opponents are better at rushing, but the differences are pretty slight overall and I do not think this shows LJ is hurting the Eagles or that Shockey, Cooley and Witten are such studs in the blocking game. Eagles do it between their QB, RB and FB...the other teams do it more traditionally with their RB mostly...
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

This has been a very down year statistically for all tight ends, for whatever reason. And even though LJ leads all TEs in Yards and plays over 20 yards, I would still take Witten, Cooley and probably Shockey over LJ if given the choice.

Comment

PMD - The peg fits the hole. How could you want Shockey over the charicter of LJ... No disrespect here- But you can have Shockey. LJ has the complete AR makeup for this team. Again- Don shares the throws more than most QB's - So I think LJ is doing great for that matter... Maybe Shockey prior to his Draft and we get him- and break him in... But that wouldn't of ever happened anyhoo...
            http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

I'm not a big LJ Smith fan because IMO he's too inconsistent catching the ball and is not a good blocker at all. (I don't fault Smith for not catching that laser from McNabb in the endzone last Sunday, but I do fault him for a number of other plays this year and in past seasons.) Chad Lewis had a lot less talent than Smith, but may have been a more valuable player when he played with the Eagles because he was a lot more reliable than Smith is most of the time.

Having said the above, Smith has had a fine year so far, and though I think Jason Witten is better at TE, I'm not sure I'd take Chris Cooley over Smith and I KNOW I wouldn't take Jeremy Shockey (who IMO could be way too disruptive in the locker room) over LJ Smith.

Comment

The thing that bugs me the most about LJ is the way he handles the ball after the catch. He always carries it away from his body, like he's afraid to secure it or something. It's a fumble waiting to happen and I cringe every time he gets hit...
                The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                  Well, the problem with LJ is that if any of the other TEs in the game had McNabb throwing them the ball, their stats would be head and shoulders above everyone else. I hate Shockey but he's talented. Cooley is as well. Jason Witten would prob be the best TE with McNabb.
                  This may be true but you can't discount the numbers because of it. Jerry Rice had Montana and Young throwing to him. LJ's low rating was also based on Detmer/Mcmahon or an injured McNabb throwing to him last year. You live and die with with these kinds of things. I think LJ is a better and faster route runner than Shockey. I'm guessing they are at least equal in percentage of balls caught/dropped.

Comment

Working...
                  X