Jenkins Wants Paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenkins Wants Paid

I know he is a great player, but how much longer ?

Malcolm Jenkins makes clear he needs a new contract
    By Andrew Kulp January 06, 2020 12:15 PM

Less than 24 hours after the Eagles’ season came to an end, safety Malcolm Jenkins made it perfectly clear he will not be back with the team in 2020 unless his contract is addressed.

“I won’t be back on the same deal,” Jenkins said in front of his locker on Monday. “That won’t happen.”

Jenkins has one year remaining on his current contract, but already approached the club about an extension last spring. The three-time Pro Bowler skipped voluntary spring workouts with the team before showing up for mandatory minicamp, vowing to focus on the season at hand.

He was all business, as usual, playing all 1,098 of the Eagles’ defensive snaps – plus special teams. Jenkins’ ironman streak extends to the 2017 playoffs, and he’s seldom come off the field since signing with the team in 2014.

“I’ve reached a point where I’ve done what I can,” said Jenkins. “At this point it’s up to my agent and management.

“I let my soul bleed every time I touch the field, sacrifice myself, do whatever I’m asked to do, so I’m content with doing my part. The rest will fall where it does.”

Jenkins is currently owed a base salary of $7.6 million in 2020. With over $3 in remaining prorated bonus money, plus per-game incentives worth an additional $250,000, his cap hit rises to over $10.8 million.

Seven NFL safeties currently carry a higher cap hit for 2020. Eight are owed a larger base salary. And of those players, only one other is entering the final year of his deal.

“You set your value on the market,” said Jenkins. “The market’s good for safeties right now. I consider myself to be in the top tier of that group and I’d like to be compensated for it.”

While Jenkins wants to be paid like one of the top safeties in the NFL and have the security of a multi-year deal, he acknowledged there’s a balance between making as much money as possible and being in the right situation.

“I want to be valued, I want to be compensated for what I think I’m worth, but I want to win, I want to be in a good locker room,” said Jenkins. “I’m a prideful person who enjoys to compete and win, but I’m not a dummy either.

“At this point in my career, I weigh all those things before I make any decision.”

It’s unclear how Jenkins intends to force the Eagles’ hand, though he made it sound as though a holdout is potentially on the table. If he refuses to rejoin the team and the front office is unwilling to reach an extension, it’s possible he could be traded as well.

“Something will happen,” Jenkins said. “I don’t know what it will be. Obviously there’s a lot of different ways it could go.

“All the things are kind of open, but at this point I feel like I’ve put together a good season. I’ve done everything I could to try to prove my worth and hopefully that works out.”

The problem, as the Eagles may see it, is Jenkins turned 32 in December. While he had another fine year, finishing with 90 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 8 pass breakups and 4 forced fumbles, naturally there’s concern his abilities are on the decline.

Jenkins admits he’s always pondering his future, but has managed to stay relatively healthy and doesn’t sound like somebody who’s close to retirement.

“I just finished 11 (seasons),” said Jenkins. “I told myself I would make it to 10 and go year to year after that as long as my body felt good, the money was what I wanted and the team was a team that I enjoyed being on.

“I’ll play for as long as I can, and right now I’m physically able, I still love the game. I’d love to be here, but I understand this is a business, so I’m good right now.”

The Eagles must also manage nostalgia while gauging whether Jenkins can viably live up to a new contract for the next few years. After the 2008 season, the organization left Hall of Fame safety Brian Dawkins leave as a free agent to Denver, where he played at a high level for another three years.

Jenkins isn’t quite in Dawkins territory, but he’s meant a lot to the Eagles the last six seasons. Still, there’s no sense that owner Jeffrey Lurie is pushing for a deal that allows him to retire with the team.

“Usually you don’t talk to ownership about contracts,” said Jenkins. “I have a great relationship with Mr. Lurie, but no, me and him personally haven’t talked about any contract since the spring.”

The two sides enter the offseason at an impasse but Jenkins is confident somebody in the league will see his true value.

“I’m not one to beg and I’m a very prideful person, so I feel like what I put out there this year, what I put on tape, what I’ve given to this team is more than enough,” said Jenkins. “I can’t do anymore, so for me, I feel good about that, that that will be good enough for me to go into this offseason with certainty that I’ll be fine.”
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Well he is right that the Eagles let Dawkins walk because he was 'in decline' and wanted too much money and that Dawk still had a year or two in him. Personally, Jenkins is not in decline. That is just my opinion as I know others tend to think he is the reason the team had seven losses this year. Now I am not a believer anyone should get a new contract or more money other than rookies who play above their slotted contract. I don't know his value but I do believe he has as much claim to being given more money as anyone.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I will say one thing about Jenkins. If you resign him you better have a backup plan and a guy that can come in and spell him. He cannot continue to play every defensive snap all season.

I will NEVER EVER understand why Rasul Douglas cannot project to safety. I just don't get it. He is bigger than Jenkins and a pretty good tackler. He isn't as fast but he is pretty instinctive. I just don't get it.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

He is definitely on the decline. I would not pay him anything else. He is due 7.6 million with a 10 million dollar cap hit.

I personally think we need to rebuild our defensive secondary. Only one I would bring back is MCloud.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Jenkins has played well over the last few years. He is also a well respected community leader outside football and within the NFL circles. He is someone you want on your team.

Was this year a sign of decline, a personal blip or impacted by the CB weakness? No matter what, I don't know how the eagles can agree to a contract that pays him top safety money for 3-4 years more. He is 32 and has a lot of wear on the tires. I'd offer 2 years and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            I will say one thing about Jenkins. If you resign him you better have a backup plan and a guy that can come in and spell him. He cannot continue to play every defensive snap all season.

I will NEVER EVER understand why Rasul Douglas cannot project to safety. I just don't get it. He is bigger than Jenkins and a pretty good tackler. He isn't as fast but he is pretty instinctive. I just don't get it.
            I am thinking the same thing. I think the should let McLoud walk and bring Jenkins back. Move Douglas to safety and draft another guy at safety for competition and replacement in 2 years

Comment

the one thing I know about this stuff is his agent and the eagles already know what he wants or what the plan is. and they are in disagreement but not too far apart i'd bet. he wouldn't be posting things on twitter about how much he wants to stay. my guess is they agree to an extension. keep in mind, they gave AJ, Kelce, Lane, Brooks, and Graham new deals. They will do this one too... just gotta agree on a number.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I amazed how many people are able to project his decline. A couple points-- first, it may not have been his best year but he didn't have a bad year. Much like Wentz he was playing with some crap and a D that constantly changed due to injuries or whatever. Second, many--not necessarily those on here called Trot and Dawk done when in fact they weren't. Maybe didn't have 3 or 4 years left but they sure had one or two. And then people botched the birds let them go. Third, it is easy to check but I was fully against bringing Peters and Sproles back because I thought they were in decline and too injured so I am certainly not one for bringing everyone back.
                I wouldn't give Jenkins a cap busting figure and I wouldn't give him too many years. Maybe 4 years just for signing bonus reasons but it would be a two year plan. Then I would be looking for a replacement who can sit for a year and learn.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Maybe they can write him a contract like Dawkins got in Denver that was virtually the same money as the Eagles offered. Write him a contract that sounds great with money that he will never see. He is the leader of the team on and off the field and like it or not he has to be on the team.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

First off I hate when players demand a new contract because they “out play” the existing one - that isn’t possible. They are expected to give their best effort every time they step on the field. That is what they’re paid to do and what should be expected from them. You cannot “out perform“ your contract. It drives me crazy when these guys complain about “needing” a new contract because they are no longer among the highest paid players at their position. They signed the deal, now live with the terms you agreed to! So on principle I would refuse his demands and let him sit out a year and miss getting over $7 million this season.

Having said that, I would like to know what Eagles said to him in the off-season last year. If they promised him a new contract if he came in and played this season, then they should follow through on their promise and pay him. paying him - but only if they already promised him that. If that is the case, then I agree with most of the comments here that a 2 to 3 year deal is the max I would offer.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk the deal here is he is in his final year of his deal. He wants one more contract. That’s the thing. He wants to tear up the final year and probably do a 3 or 4 year deal. One of the reporters asked him how long he was gonna keep playing and he didn’t answer. My guess is 3-4 more years.

Comment

You can write him a four year deal that satisfies him up front and can let him go after two with no residuals
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X