Sal Pal's Agenda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sal Pal's Agenda?

Why has SAL PAL turned from a Philly apologist to Brutus?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2517883

Makes no sense.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

I have no problem believing that Reid went to McNabb and McNabb sqaushed the idea. And that's his right to do so, he's the franchise player, and the coach respects his opinion.

But the whole thing is pointless because, even if he did come back to the team last year, they still miss the playoffs, and the Eagles would have opted out of his contract anyway, because there was a HUGE bonus due. Owens still would have been a Cowboy this year regardless.

Comment

Re: Sal Pal's Agenda?

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
      Why has SAL PAL turned from a Philly apologist to Brutus?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2517883

Makes no sense.
      He's a hack. Just like everybody else at ESPN. Facts mean little when a good controversy is brewing.

The Eagles probably don't keep him in the loop anymore which is why he turned anti-Eagle. Or maybe no one was reading his garbage.
      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

This bothers me. Why would Reid even entertain the notion at that point? Talk about wishy- washy.

Ol Sal Pal might be right about one thing. This mess is far from over.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

What bothers me is the fact that after all TO has done in SF and Philly fans still believe what he says is the truth.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
            Why would Reid even entertain the notion at that point?
            Because when you coach a football team and want to win games, and you have the best WR in the NFL on your team w/ a lot of crap backing him up, it's probably tough to just write him off.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
              Originally posted by Eagle60
              Why would Reid even entertain the notion at that point?
              Because when you coach a football team and want to win games, and you have the best WR in the NFL on your team w/ a lot of crap backing him up, it's probably tough to just write him off.
              Bad vibes. His teammates call #5 company man, and the head of the company was selling him down the river. I hope to hell there was more to the story.

Comment

This article is assanine...the entire premise of that stupid book is to slander McNabb. Every exerpt i have read revolves around donovan. Do you think someone has an inferiority complex? Another lame attempt to paint McNabb as some sort of witch brewing a potion to destroy TO.

Of course espn runs with it like it has some merit.

I hate to say it but I have a feeling the TO saga is boiling over into this season and will continue to be a distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                  This article is assanine...the entire premise of that stupid book is to slander McNabb. Every exerpt i have read revolves around donovan. Do you think someone has an inferiority complex? Another lame attempt to paint McNabb as some sort of witch brewing a potion to destroy TO.

Of course espn runs with it like it has some merit.

I hate to say it but I have a feeling the TO saga is boiling over into this season and will continue to be a distraction.
                  i fear that too - seriously hoping that actually playing the game will help.

this may sound unfeasable, but if i were the eagles, i'd hold a team meeting and decide as a group what to do when any question about TO comes up.

and i'd make it entertaining too.

screw the 'we're ready to move on' crap.

i'd be like:

"Okay guys, every time anyone mentions TO or distraction, pretend like you never heard of him."

or

"Whenever anyone says "TO" in a question, take out your cell phone and pretend like you got a call."

or

"Whenever someone says Owens, interupt the reporter and say 'I have a knock knock joke for you"
                  Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

I think the Eagles should take a different tact. Every time someone asks a question about T.O., just be over-the-top negative and insulting.

i.e., "Terrell was a horrible cancer and we're glad he's gone. He was a shitty teammate and was a lazy football player. Slept through meetings and talked back to the coaches. I'm glad he's gone, i hope he rots in Dallas."

The first player to do it, it would be a huge media story. Once everyone else associated w/ the team followed suit, the media would begin to pick up on the joke. Would be a good way to diffuse things, and it would fun, because players would get a chance to throw their true feelings in there as well, if they chose to.

Comment

i know if i were a pro athlete, i'd be just like freddie mitchell.

i'd hold press conferences over and over for no reason and say ridiculous things to the press.

it'd just be fun.
                      Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

I have no doubt that the Eagles will decide how to handle the media questions about TO. I'd like to hear everyone of them reply with the same answer every time a reporter asks anything about TO, "Next question!"

As for this bleeding into this season it really won't. Once camp opens it'll flare up some more but other than the Dallas games, when the season starts the TO circus will officially move to Texas. It's just a matter of time before he says or does something stupid that draws attention to himself and in the process becomes the first of what will be many distractions to the Cowboys. To put it succinctly, once the season starts, he'll be their problem - not ours!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

This quote does a pretty good job of explaining why feelings run deep over this:
                          It's hard to believe this is the basis for such a deep and lasting crack-up -- one that destroyed what could have been a record-breaking tandem of superstar talent, killed a promising Eagles season and sullied one of the NFL's premier franchises.

Ugh. Now the media's trying to keep this going, and MeO isn't even here anymore.

Ok, facts:
                          - it did end what could've been a record-breaking tandem of QB-WR talent
                          - it was one cause, though waaaay not the only cause, of a poor Eagles season (see also injuries, lack of DL pressure, other teams adapting to get pressure up the middle on the OL, roster turnover not keeping up with departures)
                          - it's caused a dirtier-than-usual stain on the pro football talk around the Eagles (I'd rather be worried about whether the player development is coming along, whether Reggie will continue to come into his own, whether Pinkston will be producing as long as we have someone else in the slot, hoping that we have a balanced attack and a good healthy running game, etc.)

Media hype:
                          Let's get the reader bent out of shape with words like "deep and lasting," "destroyed," "record-breaking tandem," "superstar talent," "killed," "sullied [a premier franchise]," he also describes the inner nuances of the book as "shocking," says that the Players' Union thought they had a "slam dunk" case in favor of Owens, says that McNabb "killed" the last-minute deal between Owens and "unhappy and apologetic" Reid, and finally, his last paragraph states that an "inescapable" idea is "hammered home" that Owens now has a "fresh start" with Dallas and McNabb is "trying" to clean up the mess MeO left behind.

Whew. When they tell you to use jazzy language to get the reader interested, they weren't kidding. That's worthy of WIP, ESPN, or the National Enquirer. I wouldn't think to read that in The Sporting News or a better sports magazine. Owens is a head case, and he left an impression, but he's just a memory, and supposedly while the players wanted to keep Owens the athlete around, very few of them liked Owens the teammate.

This year almost feels like McNabb's rookie year all over again. A lot of new guys that we hope make a good impact...we have hopes for the running game and the passing game, but it's an unknown in a lot of ways. Again, I can't think of any QB who could probably handle the Philly pressure -- even whatever pressure is coming this year -- like DMac can.

Sal Pal's article is overstated and way over the top. I'll stop my ramble with the "fresh start" that MeO mentioned at the end of his book is simply in the eye of the beholder. Just from browsing those articles in the Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star Telegram, I get a feeling of, "Well, this had better work..." coming from their articles, and not "...TO is the shizznit, this is gonna be great!" When one writer says that signing Owens is like making a Faustian bargain (a deal with the devil? ), that...is not a good thing for your team....
                          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I've dealt with Owens types many times over the years in teaching and coaching. I would say after Owens bugged him about 100 times McNabb finally got pissed off and lost it and told him to shut up. Most people do when you deal with his type.

Comment

If I'm any Eagles player I'd answer every TO question with

"What, TO is still on this team? What the hell did I miss?"

Every single week.

Comment

Working...
                              X