Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peter King is dumb, yet continues in his role as 'insider'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter King is dumb, yet continues in his role as 'insider'.

I have a problem w/ the talking heads who throw out all kinds of statements, then never have to answer for them when they turn out to be all wrong. What exactly is the criteria to be an 'insider'?? Obviously it's not football knowledge...

Peter King following the 1999 NFL draft:

I could be wrong about this, but I think the Colts made a serious mistake in bypassing Ricky Williams. I think he’ll make them regret it for years, even while Edgerrin James is catching 65 balls a season from Peyton Manning. Eastern football needs a brutish inside-running horse. There is no better brutish inside runner in the recent history of college football than Williams.

Now for this draft’s instant awards:

Coach of the Draft: Minnesota’s Dennis Green. I like his style, taking quarterback Daunte Culpepper in the first round, with Randall Cunningham and Jeff George already on the roster. Last year he had Cris Carter and Jake Reed and still took Randy Moss. Green’s philosophy -- ignore need in the first round and take the best player on the board -- ought to be in every team’s draft-day textbook.

Draft of the Year: I like what Arizona pulled off, with two starters plucked in the first round (David Boston and L.J. Shelton) and the leading sacker in college football (Wisconsin’s Tom Burke, in Round 3) coming aboard.

Bad Draft of the Year: I don’t like what the Giants have done. Everyone I talked to said both of New York’s top picks, Notre Dame tackle Luke Petitgout and Ohio State running back Joe Montgomery, were reaches. And what a surprise the Giants reached for two midwestern players! Do they know the Pac-10 plays football? The SEC? Their 1999 picks sound awfully reminiscent of Eric Moore, Derek Brown, Tyrone Wheatley and Thomas Lewis.

G.M. of the Draft: Washington’s Charley Casserly . He’s overseen a pretty bad decade of high-pick failure (Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Andre Johnson, Michael Westbrook, Tom Carter) but atoned Saturday by getting the man he wanted, Georgia CB/WR/KR Champ Bailey, and getting a first-round pick in 2000 in a byzantine series of up-and-down moves. Which brings us to...

Deal of the Draft: In the space of 30 seconds, with the Saints on hold on one phone, Casserly finalized a tentative trade with Chicago on another line, then picked the phone up with New Orleans, approved a deal sending the fifth pick in the first round to New Orleans for the 12th overall pick plus seven others (six in 1999 and first- and third- rounders in 2000), then got back on with the Bears and sent the Saints’ two third-round picks and a fourth and a fifth to Chicago to swap 12th and seventh overall slots in the first round. Got that? It meant, ultimately, that Washington dealt down from five to seven, took the player it wanted, probably will get him cheaper because of his lower draft slot, and picked up first-, sixth- and seventh-round picks. For free.

Quote of the Draft: From Leigh Steinberg, the agent for Oregon QB Akili Smith, after he agreed to a tentative contract with Cleveland just before midnight Friday, then being told the deal was on hold pending other developments with the Browns: “I have a feeling we’re just being used for leverage, and that would really stink. Akili is a person, not a piece of steel. And I hope this is not the cruelest hoax of the 20th century.” It was.

Best for last
    Now for the 10 Things I Think I Think , your last one of these installments (sob) until September:

1. I think Jimmy Johnson got Cecil Collins at precisely the right spot: first pick in the fifth round.

2. I think when I walked into Norv Turner’s office after the Redskins were finished picking Saturday, there was some video playing on TV of North Dakota tight end Jim Kleinsasser, and he looked like a man among Division II boys. “Minnesota got themselves a heck of player with that kid,’’ said Turner. “I really liked him.’’

3. I think the Redskins, euphoric over their draft-day machinations, still have massive offensive-line problems that haven’t been salved by collecting a third No. 1 pick in 2000. Remember, Washington gave up 61 sacks last year.

4. I think I like the Browns picking up fullback Marc Edwards from San Francisco for a fourth-round pick. But Cleveland still doesn’t have a running back. And why don’t the Browns spend some of that cap loot to pick up a decent free-agent pass-rusher like Derrick Alexander of the Vikings?

5. I think Cade McNown’s going to be good. Really good. Even in wind-whipped Chicago. Had to laugh when I heard one of the commentators question the Bears’ pick of McNown because of windy Soldier Field. Two questions: Is it ever windy in San Francisco? And how has Steve Young done there?

6. I think, despite Colts GM Bill Polian saying, “Signability had absolutely nothing to do with it,’’ that the prospect of difficult negotiations with a first-time football agent had to play a role in Indy’s decision not to select Ricky Williams. I’m not trying to make this a black-white thing. It isn’t. It’s about Leland Hardy and Master P, bright men, trying to make a mark in the pro football negotiating world with a high draft choice, and the way they’ll do that is by getting an above-market contract. Contrast that with Edgerrin James, who may not use an agent to negotiate with the Colts. You try getting an above-market contract against Polian. You’d have a better shot dealing Bubby Brister for Peyton Manning.

7. I think there’s one more factor. The Colts know Hardy has said he wants to make Williams “the most celebrated athlete in China.’’ It’s a team game, fellas.

8. I think I wish I was sitting in Madison Square Garden watching Wayne Gretzky right now rather than sitting here, writing this.

9. I think Andy Katzenmoyer hurt himself more than a little bit at the scouting combine when he said that Brian Bosworth was his favorite pro linebacker. There’s a smart guy.

10. I think the Chargers must wonder what it’s like to be in the NFL draft.
    [/quote]

McNabb better get used to boos

Click here for more on this story
    Posted: Saturday April 17, 1999 12:44 PM

Sports Illustrated senior writer Peter King, covering his 16th NFL Draft, will check in throughout the day with reports on the '99 version of the draft. You can find King's reports from earlier in the day in the related information table at the bottom of the page:

ASHBURN, Va. (CNN/SI) -- Into the very early meat of this draft, here are five things I think I think:

1.) I think Donovan McNabb had better have thick skin. When the Eagles picked him with the second pick of the first round, they angered an entire city. "We want Ricky! We want Ricky!" fans screamed at a Flyers game this week. So McNabb better get used to the "How do you feel about being second-best in the fans' minds?" questions.

2.) I think there's finally some action here at the top of the draft. Shortly before noon, the Redskins, at No. 5, tentatively agreed to trade their first-round pick to New Orleans, at No. 12, for a bounty of eight draft choices -- assuming Ricky Williams is still on the board. That could happen if Indianapolis, as has been heaviliy rumored this morning, picks Georgia cornerback Champ Bailey.

3.) I think -- still -- Cade McNown will be the best quarterback to come out of this draft.

4.) I think I'd feel a lot better about the Donovan McNabb pick if he'd played well against Miami and in the Syracuse bowl game.

5.) I think I have no idea why Cleveland, after agreeing to terms with Tim Couch this morning at 8:25 ET, took 13 minutes to announce their selection. The hype of this thing is beyond belief.
    [/b]

Comment

2002 Draft:

The draft aftermath

Report cards don't make the grade, so here's my King Scale
      Posted: Monday April 22, 2002 4:59 AM

The best value picks of the draft:

1. Dallas, second round, 63rd pick: Pitt WR Antonio Bryant. Bryant's mom cried Saturday night because the 12th or 14th or 17th player in talent on NFL boards sank like a stone due to his personal foibles in college. The rest of the league will be crying over passing him up in a year or two.
      2. New England, fourth round, 117th pick: LSU QB Rohan Davey. If Bill Belichick picked a Nick Saban player, that means something. There aren't many people whose opinions he values more than Saban's.
      3. Arizona, third round, 81st pick: Sam Houston State QB Josh McCown. He makes Favrian plays that take your breath away.

4. Chicago, fourth round, 104th pick: Florida DE Alex Brown. The Bears should find 20 snaps a game for the useful speed rusher.
      5. Dallas, fifth round, 168th pick: Virginia Union DB Ralph "Pete" Hunter. I guarantee you that he'll make the roster, be a special-teams animal and, in time, become a nice sub DB.
      6. Cleveland, seventh round, 227th pick: Miami OT Joaquin Gonzalez. The bookend to Bryant McKinnie can play.
      7. Green Bay, fourth round, 135th pick: Miami FB Najeh Davenport. Someone explain to me how such an above-average blocking/rushing threat lasts 135 picks.

I Really Like What They Did

2. Washington. We all knew Dan Snyder needed to do something starry in this draft. He couldn't get the receiver he coveted, Tennessee sprinter Donte' Stallworth (Steve Spurrier would have turned him into a legend). So Washington traded down twice for the player it might have taken at 18, Tulane quarterback Patrick Ramsey, and picked up three extra picks in the process. Ramsey had become a hot prospect since the scouting combine for his incredibly tireless arm -- one scout told me he threw to receiver after receiver for their workouts in Indianapolis and estimated he threw 2,000 passes while at the combine -- and what-do-you-want-me-to-do-next work ethic. One quibble: Ladell Betts in the second round? They could have used that pick more wisely.

I Like What They Did, But I Might Be Wrong

15. Arizona. Wendell Bryant begins the rebuilding of a once-proud defensive line. I wish they'd done more of it in this draft. And I love Josh McCown, the third-round quarterback from Sam Houston State. He's a risk-taker with a gutty streak that reminds me of Brett Favre. I just can't figure out when he'll ever get to play here.

16. Kansas City. Just like you can never have too much starting pitching, you can never have too many defensive linemen. Ryan Sims and Eddie Freeman should plug the run and give the Chiefs some upfield pass rush, too.

20. Cleveland. I love William Green. So he had some college trouble. So he smoked pot. So he ticked a few of his coaches with some attitude. Watch the man play. Watch him make reliable, Emmitt Smith-type moves. Watch him maximize his holes. LMFAO!!!

I Can't Figure Out What They Did

23. Carolina. I don't want to kill the Panthers, but this is not the time to be picking boom-or-bust guys. I bet 75 percent of NFL personnel people think DeShaun Foster, at his best, is a top-five pick in any draft, and, at his worst, is a coach-killer. Terminal fumbler. Attitude guy. They'd better hope Julius Peppers is special -- and that Chris Weinke is good enough to make people not dwell on the success Joey Harrington will have as an NFL player. Because he will have some.

24. Denver. Mike Shanahan, you know you're the man. But you had a weird weekend. You'll probably make something good out of top pick Ashley Lelie, even though he's had a hamstring injury longer than I've been shaving. But Clinton Portis in the second round? New rule in the NFL this year: You can't have more than 16 running backs on the roster, Mike.

25. Baltimore. With one pick in the top 50, I thought the Ravens would address a crying need, and I didn't see the bawlingest being free safety. Ed Reed is helpful. I thought Baltimore would have been better served with an offensive or defensive lineman or a corner.

I Really Don't Like What They Did

29. Green Bay. I do like Javon Walker. I do not like him enough to pay a first- and second-round pick for him. That deal, moving up in the first round to get Walker, meant the Packers, who have their share of age on the roster, had one pick in the top 90.

32. Cincinnati. Moral of the Draft: Never take a first-round pick 10 spots above where he deserves to go. Get value for him. Taking Levi Jones is fine. Taking him at 10 is absurd. LMAO

b. Montclair (N.J.) High Softball Note of the Week: So we're playing mighty 9-2 Paramus Catholic at home Friday, and sophomore southpaw Mary Beth King is in the circle for your Mounties, and we've got them 1-0 entering the top of the fifth, and the game's got to go five (or at least four and a half with the home team ahead), and the Paramus Catholic coach is stalling because there's a black storm cloud moving in from the west, and I'm thinking what an honor it is for our team that this very good team is stalling, and Mary Beth has a 2-2 count on the leadoff hitter in the fifth and CRACK! A lightning bolt streaked across the sky beyond right field. That was it. The umps waited a half-hour, and it started pouring, and the game will have to be resumed at a later date. That would have been the biggest win for our program in two or three years -- and it still might be, when we pick it up. You can tell I'm the pitcher's father, can't you?

c. Coffeenerdness: I really feel a need to resume my bashing of Starbucks about cleaning the espresso pods between uses. For those of you not familiar with this jargon, here's a primer: When you order a hot espresso drink at Starbucks, the barista bangs out the old espresso grounds into the garbage and is supposed to rinse the receptacle with hot water from the espresso machine. Eighty percent of the baristas, in my experience, don't rinse. That creates a bitterish aftertaste in the drink. When I've said something about this in the past, I usually get the "Here's the commie pinko" look that Archie Bunker used to give Mike Stivic. And so I have started to bring drinks back, when I can, or to order the grande white mocha instead of the grande hazelnut latte, because the white mocha seems to mask the aftertaste better. Oh, what I go through for a good latte. Is anyone up in Seattle listening? Or Starbucks managers in north Jersey?

a. Rotisserie Nerdness: So No. 1 daughter Laura King, the Tufts freshman, is in her dorm room nine days ago watching Red Sox-Yankees. Shea Hillenbrand, her hero and crush and favorite third sacker, hits a two-run homer off Mariano Rivera. She calls me. "Dad!" she yells. "You've got to pick up Shea!" On my rotisserie team, she meant. I told her I would. Jeff Cirillo's been killing me there anyway, and Hillenbrand was a free agent, so I put in a claim for him and got him. I activated Hillenbrand and sat Cirillo. So last Monday, Cirillo's on the bench in favor of a hot Desi Relaford for Seattle, and Hillenbrand singles, doubles, walks and knocks in two for the Sox. I am nominating Laura King as the early leader for Suburban League Executive of the Year ... Also made a deal last week: Sent Mike Cameron and Freddy Garcia to the Swinging Singles for Bobby Abreu and Wade Miller -- with the option to substitute Todd Ritchie for Miller if Miller stays on the DL for too long with his neck spasms. I had that 30-30 Abreu itch and had to scratch it ... And wait! Just made another deal! Dealt Cirillo, Mike Williams and Daryle Ward for Juan Pierre, Tom Glavine and Kris Benson.

9. I think these are my other non-football thoughts of the week:

a. The Osbournes is one of the funniest shows ever.

b. Fast food is getting healthier at drive-thrus. McDonald's has a nice chicken breast sandwich now.

Sports Illustrated senior writer Peter King covers the NFL beat for the magazine and is a regular contributor to CNNSI.com. Monday Morning Quarterback appears in this space -- no kidding -- on Monday mornings.

Comment

That Tom Burke has just dominated.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Funny stuff, SOT!!! Imagine, he probably makes $200K + for making this shite up!!!

I wonder if Peter King is related to Larry King. The last blurbs were definitely Larry Kingish:

a. The Osbournes is one of the funniest shows ever.

b. Fast food is getting healthier at drive-thrus. McDonald's has a nice chicken breast sandwich now.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I find his "10 things I think I think" preposterous.

You think you think? You aren't sure, but you get paid to tell me what you aren't sure about?
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Actually, I believe he's owned up to the Cade McNown thing.

Comment

Listen Peter King, I don't care about Montclair or your daughter at tufts, unless she's hot, then i'd nail her and tell her how much of a jackass her dad was.

Comment

in his defense, playing ignoramus' advocate here (he's not evil, he's just a moron), i'm sure you can find draft reviews from 3-5 years ago from a lot of people that look ridiculous at this point.
                  Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

this one's cute

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545521

4. A year ago, the Eagles drafted their secondary of the future by making defensive backs Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis and Sheldon Brown their first three choices. The Chargers, who cut Rodney Harrison and Alex Molden, will be seeing more immediate returns from their first three choices -- cornerbacks Sammy Davis and Drayton Florence and safety Terrence Kiel. By the way, the Eagles did a nice job of replacing departed free agent Hugh Douglas by trading up to get Jerome McDougle and taking Jamaal Green of Miami as a backup.
                    Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

all those draft prognosticators are wrong most of the time.

i thought cade mcnown was going to be good, too. not necessarily the best QB out of that draft. but i thought he was a good player and tough competitor.
                      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

When we need to remember this crap is when they make the next round of prognostications and remember that they know precious little more than we do!

Then this thread should be bumped up every time somebody pushes one of these things!

Comment

Working...
                        X