Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is that a rumbling I hear? (from Valley Ranch?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is that a rumbling I hear? (from Valley Ranch?)

Owens Frustrated With Role on Cowboys

By JAIME ARON
    The Associated Press

IRVING, Texas - Terrell Owens screamed it on the sideline against Philadelphia, in the locker room after a loss and repeated it again Wednesday: "Why am I here?"

The volatile receiver admits he's frustrated with his role on the Dallas Cowboys, but not simply because he's off to his worst start in years. According to T.O., he'd be fine if Dallas was winning and he had mediocre statistics.

It's the Cowboys' being 2-2 combined with the reduced numbers that he can't tolerate.

"I do have a problem when I don't feel like I'm involved enough," he said. "I know I can make a difference. That's not me being arrogant. I just know what I bring to the table. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. ... I want to win. I came here to help this team win."

Owens spoke the entire 45 minutes the locker room was open to reporters, passionately describing his feelings on many subjects. He even revealed that the ongoing issues he's faced the last few months, from a hamstring injury in training camp to an accidental overdose, have driven him to "sit in my house in the dark" instead of having much of a social life.

He never directly criticized quarterback Drew Bledsoe or coach Bill Parcells, the playbook or the play calling.

In fact, T.O. had few specific complaints just the general one about not getting the ball enough.

"I haven't really gotten started yet," he said.

Owens has 17 catches for 232 yards and one touchdown. It's his fewest catches after four games since 1999 and his fewest yards at this point since 2002. His three-game streak without reaching the end zone is his longest drought since 2000.

In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday. Owens dropped one and two were intercepted, including one that likely would've been a touchdown.

"The opportunities are there," he said. "We're just not connecting."

Owens knew when he signed with Dallas in March he was joining an offense that wasn't designed to showcase a specific receiver. However, he acknowledged for the first time Wednesday he expected that to change for him like it did in Philadelphia.

"Dude, I am playmaker," he said. "These guys know that. It's simple. ... Get the ball in the playmaker's hands."

Owens was mostly supportive of Bledsoe, especially compared to how he's talked about his previous quarterbacks. He even added he is working on his route-running "to give the quarterback better looks, things of that nature."

"I think we all need to play better," Owens said. "That was one of the things he came up to me and said. Even after the game, he sent me a text that said, `Stay with me,' he'll play better for me. You can only respect that. He's trying his best to get the ball to me in certain situations. It's hard when he has a lot of pressure on him."

Bledsoe reiterated Wednesday that T.O. is a quality receiver who wants the ball and the quarterback is happy to try getting it to him.

"I've never had a receiver, at least not one who is worth anything, that was happy with the number of times they touch the ball," Bledsoe said. "I told him when he got here, `Listen, I don't expect you to be happy all the time. If you don't get to touch the ball enough, I don't expect you to like that. At the same time, you have to keep playing hard for me and give me good information when you come back.' And he's been very good about that."

Owens thinks he's been good about it, too, adding he's not trying "to come in and stir things up ... to create more controversy and distraction around here."

"I wouldn't say I'm unhappy," said Owens, who is making $10 million this season as part of a $25 million, three-year deal. "I'm not happy about the losing. I just feel like there's really an opportunity for something really special to happen here in Dallas with the team that we have. Once we get the nucleus of guys in the right positions to play and play as a unit, then we're going to be OK."

But is T.O. going to be OK?

"I don't go nowhere," he said. "I don't do nothing. It's frustrating. It's frustrating just to go (through) what I have been going through since training camp. I've had the hamstring. Then I break my hand. Then I go to the hospital. Then personal stuff.

"My way of venting is going out there on Sunday, trying to win ballgames. Now it's added frustration, especially when I know we have a good team. And the team we lost to, they know they should have lost. We made too many mistakes to win. We are stopping ourselves."

Owens watched the game film of the Eagles game with teammates Monday ("It was sickening," he said), then saw a replay of the Fox broadcast Tuesday night on the NFL Network.

He was still peeved Wednesday about some of the things discussed about him, especially the repeated shots of him barking at his teammates.

"The guys in the booth are saying, `There he goes again, he's up to his old stuff again,'" he said. "It's very unfair. ... It makes me hesitant to try to do what I need to do."

Besides, if he wanted to really do something shocking and get across his message, he could always borrow from the repertoire of his Dallas predecessor, Keyshawn Johnson.

"I need to get a shirt `Give me the damn ball!'" Owens said, smiling wide and laughing. "I am just kidding. I am just kidding."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Im Ready........Im Ready......Im Ready!!!!!!

Comment

From the article:

He even revealed that the ongoing issues he's faced the last few months, from a hamstring injury in training camp to an accidental overdose, have driven him to "sit in my house in the dark".

"I don't go nowhere," he said. "I don't do nothing. It's frustrating. It's frustrating just to go (through) what I have been going through since training camp. I've had the hamstring. Then I break my hand. Then I go to the hospital. Then personal stuff.

OK, I'm convinced now! The overdose was just an accident!

But there is reason to hope that Owens will not have another "accidental overdose". All Parcells has to do is change the offensive philosophy he's employed for the past 20 years and "the player" will be happy:

Owens knew when he signed with Dallas in March he was joining an offense that wasn't designed to showcase a specific receiver. However, he acknowledged for the first time Wednesday he expected that to change for him like it did in Philadelphia.

"Dude, I am playmaker," he said. "These guys know that. It's simple. ... Get the ball in the playmaker's hands."

Comment

Kinda funny--- he's bitching about not getting the ball-- but yet he has more "thrown to" than any other cowgirl!

I saw a list somewhere, I'll look for it, but he has more passes thrown his way than any other player. And yet he's still bitching, maybe if he was on the field and off the bike, maybe their timing would be better.

Nah, It's all Bledsoe fault- after all "he is the one pulling the trigger".

Comment

Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Guy takes a bunch of pills, then tells a reporter he is sitting in his house in the dark b/c he is bummed out. Gee, get him some help and fast. Owens should not be playing football right now. If he does, this will spiral out of control. As long as he doesn't hurt himself physically, I am all for it, but he just might ... and that's why someone in Bid D ought to step back, look at the big picture, and give him a leave of absence ... with pay.
            Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
            Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if Parcells and Jerrah eventually make that decision (to get help) for him. Got a feeling that Owens just won't do it on his own.
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Dude - I was watching NFL Network this morning on the treadmill and watching him just tear down Bledsoe in his interview and then THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST PART - WAS THAT PARCELLS GOES

"We threw his way 15 times. That's plenty."

Then Owens in another segment goes

"Yeah but how many of those could I have caught?"

All I know - is this season is so freaking enjoyable NOT just because we're looking real nice...but because OWENS is just destroying the COWBOYS and Parcells career is just melting away because of it...

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                  "Yeah but how many of those could I have caught?"
                  well, certainly the two that were right in your hands and you dropped....you wussy

that guy is unreal.

we all knew this would happen, but man aint it fun to watch?

Comment

It is more fun than I could have ever imagined. I really really thought that he might behave this year [How could I be so foolish] after getting paid. Heck he was pretty quiet in 2004 for awhile - but now it's clear - he was getting tons of touches that year.

He's amazing. Mike Tyson has nothing on him.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

What eagles feel they should have lost, OD?

This guy's ego has no bounds.

Comment

It is a fine fine time to be a Dallas hater.

Comment

I think Owens is getting a bit of comeuppance. That script could not have played out any better. It's what we all wanted to see. McNabb have a huge game, the Eagles win, and TO bitchin on the sidelines. It was truly beautiful. In addition, I cannot help but think that Owens, in his warped little mind, felt just a twinge of seller's remourse about the time McNabb threw that ball to Brown, over two defenders, in the back of the endzone. You don't think the fact that he's got all of one TD in Dallas, and if he had stayed with McNabb, and not made an a$$ out of himself, the way the Eagles offense is firing right now, he'd probably have 10, crossed his mind, even if just for a second? His question shouldn't have been, "Why am I here?" It should have been, "Why was I so stupid?"

It serves the Goddamned bastard right.

Comment

EB - Exactly. If Owens would have just been a normal teammate on Sunday I would have been less pleased...not much but he made it even better.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

the best part is that nobody is immune. Not Garcia, Not McNabb, Not Bledsoe...and sorry Cowgirl fans...not Romo either

every defensive gamplan for the rest of the year will be to frustrate TO and to see him and the team implode. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X