No announcement yet.

Lets hear the excuses for today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth is - that the EAGLES under REID have always lost this type of game against this type of team.

The real problem is we didn't beat the GIANTS and TAMPA BAY as they were given to us and we couldn't absorb this type of loss (We'd be 6-2 going into the BYE) as we had in the past.

Nope. This year we choked away two gimme games and ultimately that catches up with you.

The EAGLES have lost to teams like this in the past and in midseason have been made to look real bad by physical, running teams when McNabb has had bad days too.

This game isn't the issue - the Tampa/NYG games are now coming back to haunt us as we all knew they would but we were too optimistic to admit.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
      This a baiting thread IMO....people can support this team any way they want IMO. The sky is still NOT falling.

If Reid and staff were fired after this loss, that would be one of the dumbest decisions Lurie has ever made...

They are 4-4...they need to get their shit together over the bye and come out in the 2nd half of the season and win...
      I don't consider this baiting at all. Nobody said that Ried was going to be fired today in these and threads before we simply are saying its the begining of the end of his regime. Better coaches over the years have been fired after two poor seasons in a row. So its not out of the question that if Reid can't turn it around and get this team into the playoffs that they fire him at the end of the year. There are no built in excuses this year, they have not suffered a ton of injuries, they didn't have the BO distraction, they don't have the Super Bowl hangover, they simply are not good enough righ tnow. The realization has to sink in with everybody that Reid might have taken this team as far as he can take them
      Reid might have lost this team. His ways are not be working anymore for whatever reason. This is the reason why coaches don't have long term shelf life in the NFL. It just happens. I know one thing this is a very talented football team that is short in some areas. They don't have an everydown back, they need a big run stuffing tackle and they need help at linebacker. This is something that can be fixed very easily in one off season. But you have to want to fix it. So far this regime has not shown the want in having a full time back, a run stuffing DT or bigger play making linebackers. When you play on the East Coast you must have a running game to win games in adverse conditions. We don't have a running game, you also have to be able to stop the run. For whatever reason (probably size in our defensive line) we can't stop the run. Except for the year with the three headed monster we have never had a consistant running game.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Yesterday was a horrible loss. I know it was our fouuth loss, but it was the first where we really were beaten, instead of beating ourselves. Even with that we were one long pass of which we have had had many prior to this game, away from winning.
        I have no more explanation for what happened yesterday than anyone else here. I do know that AR and DM are capable of turning this around. The entire NFL seems to be topsy turvy and any team capable of beating another.
        Call me an apologist, cheer leader or whatever, I stll do not see a team on our schedule that we can not beat. Yesterday was the first impressive win by the colts even thoiugh they had to move decisively down the field to win in the fianl seconds.
        Maybe we finish the year 8-8, but we could just as easily finish 10-6 or 11-5.

Fire away--
        Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Reid is safe for at least this year and next year. How can anyone think otherwise. Let's say you do fire Reid (purely hypothetical), who out there could replace him? Whizzenhunt?

By the way, Childress doing real well in minnesota RUNNING THE BALL.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
            Reid is safe for at least this year and next year. How can anyone think otherwise. Let's say you do fire Reid (purely hypothetical), who out there could replace him? Whizzenhunt?

I think you just made your own arguement for who you replace Reid with. You find an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator from another team. Say Ron Rivera from Da Bears or how about this Rex Ryan from the Ravens (just kidding on that one I don't know if he is head coach material, but it certainly would get the town stirring, especially if he comes in as brash as Buddy did).

If Andy turns this around and they can get to 10-6 and make the playoffs he certainly is safe for as long as he wants to stay in this town. It will show that he can take a team as bad as they were in 1999 and bring it to a Super Bowl, then have it go down and be able to bring it back up again. Right now though you have to say he has shown he build a team to get to the Super Bowl but the jury is out on whether he can weather the storm of the hangover and down years after losing in the Super Bowl.and bring them back to prominance. I am telling you I don't think Lurie is going to stand for another down year this year

Comment

Reid won't get fired. Andy Reid, who I think is very good, is at a crossroads. Is he going to burn out or turn this thing around? Remember we're talking about a guy who is in his 8th season as head coach. That is a long time in the NFL. Could he possibly be worn out? He's moved through the ranks and reached the pinnacle (in terms of name/responsibility/status). Could he, himself, be hitting a wall?

The next month will really define what this organization is going to be. One month from now we'll know whether they need to completely rebuild or if this is a blip on the radar screen and they right the ship. The Eagles are positioned to win but November determines the franchise's short term destiny. If they continue to lose, I think you see Reid resign. If they win - status quo.

Comment

At this point, I honestly don't know what to think. There seem to be things that are broken, and Reid and Co. can't seem to get them fixed. I have always had confidence in our coaching staff, even if I didn't always agree with some of their philosophies. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really concerned with the way things seem to be headed.

It's not just yesterday's loss that concerns me. There are issues at the heart of this that I just don't see ever being corrected, such as..

1. They will never be able to run the ball. After last season, especially, I was hoping they'd get something resembling the three headed monster going. That didn't happen. Reid just relies too much on the pass for my taste. I'd rather emphasize ball control.
                2. They have always had issues stopping the run with JJ. I don't think that will ever be corrected. I think it's the philosophy of wanting 1 gap penetrators with speed and quickness, that cannot hold the point of atttack...combined with their philosophy that LBers are not high in the pecking order, and aren't worth a major investment in cap dollars.

I know points come from the passing game, and yada yada, but if you cannot run the football, and you cannot stop the run, you will have a hard time winning consistently in this league.

3. Reid relies on McNabb too much. There is nothing to fall back on. Nothing. They can't run consistently enough to even think about falling back on it if McNabb is having a bad day. If McNabb doesn't play at MVP level, we lose.

I know there are a lot of other issues, and whatnot, but they are things that can probably be corrected. These issues are serious, and they are more a product of the coaching staff's philosophy. The only real way to get those things changed may be to clean house.

I'm not advocating that, but my confidence is at an all time low.

Comment

Originally posted by taz

I think you just made your own arguement for who you replace Reid with. You find an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator from another team. Say Ron Rivera from Da Bears or how about this Rex Ryan from the Ravens (just kidding on that one I don't know if he is head coach material, but it certainly would get the town stirring, especially if he comes in as brash as Buddy did).

If Andy turns this around and they can get to 10-6 and make the playoffs he certainly is safe for as long as he wants to stay in this town. It will show that he can take a team as bad as they were in 1999 and bring it to a Super Bowl, then have it go down and be able to bring it back up again. Right now though you have to say he has shown he build a team to get to the Super Bowl but the jury is out on whether he can weather the storm of the hangover and down years after losing in the Super Bowl.and bring them back to prominance. I am telling you I don't think Lurie is going to stand for another down year this year
                  I think Whizzenhunt is about the only candidate out there that's worth a damn. Remember, he didn't want to go to the Raiders because well, they suck but he might want in on Philly. (I personally think he's waiting for Cowher to leave so he can be the HC in Pittsburgh.)

Now before anyone starts jumping on me, I'm not saying replace Reid. I'm just saying, if you were to replace him, who could you possibly replace him with.

Comment

Oh by the way, if Reid does leave/get fired, bet the farm on his next team. They are guaranteed to win the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                      3. Reid relies on McNabb too much.
                      Actually, that should be "Reid relies on Westbrook too much"

Our WR's don't command any respect from defenses, and we don't have any real running threat.

Playcalling is getting predictable

Comment

Originally posted by taz

I think Whizzenhunt is about the only candidate out there that's worth a damn. Remember, he didn't want to go to the Raiders because well, they suck but he might want in on Philly. (I personally think he's waiting for Cowher to leave so he can be the HC in Pittsburgh.)

Now before anyone starts jumping on me, I'm not saying replace Reid. I'm just saying, if you were to replace him, who could you possibly replace him with.
                        Two names that come to mind

Ron Rivera and Jeff Fisher. Fisher's contract is up at the end of the year and he might not go back to Tennessee. Whizzenhunt is a good name also and I believe he would come here. This is a talented team that has some holes but holes that can be fixed pretty easily if YOU WANT TO FIX THEM. Running Back/outside linebacker and a run stuffing tackle are what is needed. They can be had through the draft and free agency. This team has plenty of cash under the cap.

Its fine to want one gap penitrating defensive tackles but can it hurt to have one two gap guy on the roster for situations were you know you are going to play a team that will be able to do nothing but run the ball? Does it hurt to have one bigger back on the roster for games where you know that its going to be hard to throw the ball due to weather conditions and the opponent? Not signing Steven Davis was a big mistake by Reid. Not getting a big fat run stuffing tackle was also a mistake.

Comment

Not sure on Jeff Fisher.

As for Ron Rivera - wasn't he our LB coach?

Comment

Let's go back to 2003, we had these same conversations, only on a different message board. Reid has taken this team where no eagle team has been, and here we are jumping off bridges. Get a grip! Unless I am really missing something We had one bad year, and are at 4-4 for this season , in which anything can happen.
                            Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

No beagle, my point is that there aren't any coaches out there to replace Reid with. I'm not saying fire him. I'm saying even if you do fire him, who can do better? Nobody.

Comment

I think AR JJ or both may have reached the Cowher stage. After so many years players tune coaches out. It just makes no sense to continually see Trotter out of position. Or teams constantly run roughshod over this defense. But even worse is the adjustments or nonadjustments that kills this team. The question is can they get these players to listen? Did they (the coaches) realize that the players were tuning them out during minicamp and perhaps that is why guys like Fraley and Koy aren't here? They were trying let the vets know it isn't business as usual yet it seems as if it is. I really don't know........
                                I miss Philly!

Comment

Working...
                                X