No announcement yet.

Patriots - 36 passes, 7 runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that, after 7 years, AR apparently still doesn't get that his "pass first" offense still needs a LEGITIMATE running attack to work consistently or in inclement weather to me speaks volumes about his stubborn need to prove that his way WILL work!

It's getting really old!

Comment

The Pats will destroy Indy on Sunday.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I'm not baiting anyone. People have been saying that you can't pass pass pass and win. Period. End of story. There haven't traditionally been all these qualifiers about the wind, the snow, the ice, the whatever. The bottom line is that people have been crying about the run to pass ratio. They say it can't work. Now that we're coming off a nasty loss where the wind affected the game people are altering the statement to be "you can't pass pass pass because eventually it'll be windy".

As for keeping it civil, well I'm not the one calling other people asshats so I don't know what's up with you directing your little e-scolding my way. If nobody's allowed to be sarcastic around here then I think you'll have quite a long list of people to notify. I'm hardly the first person to be sarcastic.

Comment

[quote=bay_bird]
          Originally posted by "pete liske":e063d
          Look at John Elway. How many times did he lose Superbowls before Terell Davis showed up. The guy became a Hall of Fame, all world, best to ever play the game, Superstar QB, the moment he got a running game....Granted he was always a great QB, but he was on a whole nother level w/ a great running back. As were the Broncos.
          Every time I see your avatar, I cannot help but focus on #18. Not only is he still in his stance well after the snap, his chin strap is not buckled. I guess they were running the ball on this play. This is old school "taking a play off."

I guess I'm desparate to find something to take away the pain.[/quote:e063d]

I think that's Ben Hawkins, who was probably one of the only decent player's that team had or atleast somewhat productive. Although I think that was a team that collectively took alot of play's off!

Comment

Just didn't want to see it escalate, EFD. No harm done.

As for the run/pass thing. No, it is not required that you run the ball like crazy to win a game, or that you can't win one being pass happy. But there are times when you NEED to be able to play some smash mouth, particularly whne you are playing with a lead, or in inclement weather, or when teams are playing defensively to stop the pass.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by EFD
              I'm not baiting anyone. People have been saying that you can't pass pass pass and win. Period. End of story. There haven't traditionally been all these qualifiers about the wind, the snow, the ice, the whatever. The bottom line is that people have been crying about the run to pass ratio. They say it can't work. Now that we're coming off a nasty loss where the wind affected the game people are altering the statement to be "you can't pass pass pass because eventually it'll be windy".

As for keeping it civil, well I'm not the one calling other people asshats so I don't know what's up with you directing your little e-scolding my way. If nobody's allowed to be sarcastic around here then I think you'll have quite a long list of people to notify. I'm hardly the first person to be sarcastic.
              You can stand by it -- but not here-- edited for name calling!

Second, that was a baiting post. Maybe you've just degenerated to the point where you don't post anything that's not baiting in some form, so you know longer can sense the difference. You said the thread was bull$hit, and bla bla bla. You f'ing know that no one is saying that you cannot win with the pass. What they have been saying is that you can't be one dimensional, and you can't win with the pass every f'ing week. That's the difference, numbnutts. As noted, the Pats don't rely on the pass exclusively every week. They can pound the ball with the best of them, and they are a better team because of it. And, the Eagles would be a better team if they could turn to the run when it benefitted them too. You're not going to be playing a team that is in the bottom of the league in pass defense, in a dome, every f'ing week. But, don't take my word for it, watch the Pats run it down Indy's throat next week. They can do that, whereas we would be trying to throw the f'ing ball every play, against the strength of their defense. That's the issue.

And, the only bull$hit in this thread was what you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                Originally posted by EFD

Edited!

Second, that was a baiting post. Maybe you've just degenerated to the point where you don't post anything that's not baiting in some form, so you know longer can sense the difference. You said the thread was bull$hit, and bla bla bla. You f'ing know that no one is saying that you cannot win with the pass. What they have been saying is that you can't be one dimensional, and you can't win with the pass every f'ing week. That's the difference, numbnutts. As noted, the Pats don't rely on the pass exclusively every week. They can pound the ball with the best of them, and they are a better team because of it. And, the Eagles would be a better team if they could turn to the run when it benefitted them too. You're not going to be playing a team that is in the bottom of the league in pass defense, in a dome, every f'ing week. But, don't take my word for it, watch the Pats run it down Indy's throat next week. They can do that, whereas we would be trying to throw the f'ing ball every play, against the strength of their defense. That's the issue.

And, the only bull$hit in this thread was what you posted.
                I'm not sure you're keeping it civil.

Comment

Look, I'm certainly not advocating that running the ball isn't important. It is. I'm an old school NFC East guy and there's nothing more I'd love than to have a smash mouth running team. But we don't have that and we're probably not going to have it until there's a new administration in town. That'll be awhile.

The bottom line is that if you're good enough at passing the ball then you should be able to do so at will, as the Pats did last night. If they can execute that passing game really well then nothing else matters. It's like Lombardi's Packers & the Power Sweep - here it comes, stop it if you can (because I know you can't).

That's what Reid is going for. It can be done, but IMO if you're going to do that then you need to invest more in your WRs because as they're currently constructed it just is not going to work. We have 5 WRs on the roster. Five.

Reggie Brown
                  Donte Stallworth
                  Greg Lewis
                  Hank Baskett
                  Jason Avant

Check that list out. Reggie's in his 2nd year, Donte, Hank & Jason are in their 1st year w/the Eagles (and Hank & Jason are rookies!), and Greg Lewis proved last year he's nothing but a spare part.

If there's any criticism to lob at Reid it's that he came into this season expecting to win consistantly with a WR corp that's as green as that one. You can't talk Eagle offense w/o including Westbrook & LJ, but still that's one green set of skill position players. The fact that they're wildly inconsistant does not come as a surprise to me.

The good news is that by infusing so much youth into the team "the window" will not close, but that bad news is that we're a really young team and young teams generally show growing pains as they grow up. That's what's happening now, IMO.

Comment

Problem is we don't have a fallback when the pass isn't clicking EFD. At lest, Reid won't call for it. Last week against Jax was a prime example. The pass wasn't working (you can blame it on the waether, Jax D, inexperienced WR's, whatever) And we stuck with it, ony calling 15 runs ALL GAME. You think that's OK???
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I edited several name calling/langauge incidents ...... anybody have a problem with it, send me a pm!

You all know and agreed to the rules!

Comment

I'm cool. Sorry, just quite frustrated.

I guess what lies at the heart of the matter is that I don't think Reid's stragedy is a sound one, and ultimately it will be his downfall. I hope I'm wrong about that, and it would be a damned shame, because I do like the guy as a coach. But, I don't think you can rely on the pass like the old Packers relied on the power sweep. Even with a great QB, which we have, I firmly believe in balance, and being able to run when it suits, and pass when it suits. NE does it probably better than anyone. It is the way to go, and I honestly wish Reid would embrace the run game more, because it would make us a better team in the long run.

Comment

I want to move. I'm so sick of living in New England and seeing such a well coached well prepared team every week.

they'll run 50 time on you one week, then pass 50 times on you the next

2 TE sets? no problem

5 wide? no problem

they are so flexible and prepared for anything. We are so stubborn and unwilling to change for any opponent.

ugh

Comment

The Patriots IMO are adept at adjusting the gameplan and personnel to better exploit an opponents weakness. The Eagles apparently adjust well in most cases, and little in others.

EFD, I agree with your take on the inexperienced WR's.

Comment

Let Morningwood go...and let Reid by the O for next season, then he can be on the hook for all the successes and failures...

Comment

Marty was a genius only a few weeks ago for our quick-strike offense. Incredible how fast things change in the NFL.
                                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                                X