No announcement yet.

4-1 was a smokescreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're playing pass-rush, and your oponent (us) passes 75% of the time, then 75% of the time you're gonna be right.

Defenses pin their ears back and come after us, and after McNabb. THey have little regard for our run game, and on the few ocassions we actually DO run the ball, it catches them by surprise and we end up with a decent YPC. So what?

The beneficiary of this whole thing for us has been our screen game, where we have been able to use that agressiveness against the D. But now that teams are spying Westy, it seems, we have had more screens and short dumps blown up than I can ever remember.

So stop being cute, get back to a balanced attack and run the ball, and make defenses actualy play us honest for a change. That's all I'm saying. Can we do it with the RBs we currently have? Can we run against a defense that will PLAY the run? Time we found out.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
      So, other teams can win consistently when their QB struggles? Which ones?
      Tampa - Superbowl
      Baltimore - Superbowl
      Pittsburgh - Superbowl

none of those 3 qb's did much more than hand the ball off to their power running game...and i don't even think you can say tampa had a power running game.

Comment

I agree with what people have said regarding these analysts being blowhard jackholes who don't watch anything.

It's not 'they can't run', it's 'they won't run'.

More nitpicking of the experts:

do any of these guys ever count jimmy johnson's blitzes? he doesn't do it 'just when he's ahead'. he does it when he's behind, when he's tied, or when he's ahead. also, the amount of times he does it imho is vastly overstated. i would submit that the eagles, especially this year, are somewhere in the middle or lower portion of the pack as far as amount of blitzes go.

the reason it seems they are 'relying on the big play' is because they aren't getting the little/medium plays to work. of course nab's gona want to go downfield when his d00ds are dropping the 6 yard 1st and 10 play. i have a feeling after the bye that these passes are going to start working and the eagles are going to move the ball.

if you reversed the eagles first half schedule and they started 1-4 and won 3 in a row, these guys would be saying the exact opposite.

god i hate fake experts.

that piss his pants espn expert schlereth was on mike and mike this morning and was frigging using words that don't exist and making them up in his argument.
        Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Originally posted by reesecal
          I agree with what people have said regarding these analysts being blowhard jackholes who don't watch anything.

do any of these guys ever count jimmy johnson's blitzes? he doesn't do it 'just when he's ahead'. he does it when he's behind, when he's tied, or when he's ahead. also, the amount of times he does it imho is vastly overstated. i would submit that the eagles, especially this year, are somewhere in the middle or lower portion of the pack as far as amount of blitzes go.

the reason it seems they are 'relying on the big play' is because they aren't getting the little/medium plays to work. of course nab's gona want to go downfield when his d00ds are dropping the 6 yard 1st and 10 play. i have a feeling after the bye that these passes are going to start working and the eagles are going to move the ball.

if you reversed the eagles first half schedule and they started 1-4 and won 3 in a row, these guys would be saying the exact opposite.

god i hate fake experts.

that piss his pants espn expert schlereth was on mike and mike this morning and was frigging using words that don't exist and making them up in his argument.
          Just wondering reece. How confident are you when the Eagles run on 3rd and 1?
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60

god i hate fake experts.

i dont want them to run on 3rd and 1, i want them to bootleg mcnabb or sneak if its a short 1.

he's like 99-100 on those effing things. all he has to do is stand there and see which offensive linemen has a push and go behind him.
            Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

god i hate fake experts.

i dont want them to run on 3rd and 1, i want them to bootleg mcnabb or sneak if its a short 1.

he's like 99-100 on those effing things. all he has to do is stand there and see which offensive linemen has a push and go behind him.
              So would I. But you are missing my point. You don't feel good about them running on 3rd and 1 because they can't, and therein lies the problem.

Comment

[quote=bird is da word]
                Originally posted by "Vote for Kalas":27b71
                So, other teams can win consistently when their QB struggles? Which ones?
                Tampa - Superbowl
                Baltimore - Superbowl
                Pittsburgh - Superbowl

none of those 3 qb's did much more than hand the ball off to their power running game...and i don't even think you can say tampa had a power running game.[/quote:27b71]

Baltimore is the best example since their defense did carry them that year, but I see that still as more of a fluke or outlier than a trend which can depended on or base solid opinions on IMO....

Big Ben had a pretty darn good year last year....and Brad Johnson was more talented than certainly I thought at the time...he is showing it again with MN this year...they all did have great defenses though which is probably important to this question as well...

I do not believe anyone disputes McNabb is very important to our team, but I would argue every QB is to their team and would propose it is more our defensive and ST issues that are hurting us now...we have proven over the years that we can win even if McNabb struggles or even when he is injured so the theory he has ALL of the load on his shoulders or some special expectations on him is a bit overblown IMO...
                Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

god i hate fake experts.

So would I. But you are missing my point. You don't feel good about them running on 3rd and 1 because they can't, and therein lies the problem.
                  This is just wrong IMO. They can and have run on 3rd and short and made it many times....whoever does it...IMO again it does NOT matter how they do it as long as it works...if it does not work, try something else until you find something that does...if Reid wants to run Tapeh behind Pat McCoy again, so be it...as long as it is effective.

If they pass on 3rd and 2 and score a TD, are you going to complain? If McNabb sneaks it on 3rd and 1 and gains 15 yards, are you going to worry about our "running" game?

-Andy Reid

Comment

Are we talking about the same team VFK? Wow, I guess we see what we want to see.

Comment

the 3rd and 1 isnt really my point though. the point is they dont get 3rd and 1's, or 3's, or 5's, because they keep throwing incomplete passes on first and 2nd downs, while they are, according to what people here are saying, running for 3-5 yards when they DO run.

Comment

Are we talking about the same team VFK? Wow, I guess we see what we want to see.
                        Are you saying I cannot find 1 instance this season our running game has converted a 3rd and short? That would equate to your statement that they "can't" do it....

In past seasons, clearly they have been able to so that I assume is not part of your argument.

I started with the 1st game of the season (HOU) and found two incidents immediately....

3rd and 2 at the 50 yd line: 17 yd gain, run by Westy....

3rd and 1 at the HOU 20: 2 yd gain, run by Tapeh....

NFL Play-by-Play Here

They clearly can this season too...I may not be the one who "sees what they want to see".

IMO the issue is more will they when facing that situation....but again I would advocate going with what works...

Just for fun, there was another 3rd and short situation in that HOU game....3rd and 4 at the PHL 37: 22 yd gain, pass to Stallworth. I think they should have run....

-Andy Reid

Comment

We can run on Houston and SF. Not a ringing endorsement. You can find all kinds of stats. Most of our running yards are on 2nd and long when the D gives you 5 yards. Do you, in all honesty, think that Defensive Coordinaters spend much time worrying about our running game?

Comment

LOL....well I knew that answer was coming...

-Andy Reid

Comment

You know, I haven't posted any Eagles related talk after Sunday, because I have no physical explanation about it. Honestly, I think we are searching too much.

Let me put it this way.

The team does look like San Diego last year, with McNabb being Thomlinson.

However, what has happened in the last three weeks, was simply bizzarre.

I'd expect the meltdown from the Jax game if we were at 6-1, or even 5-2.

But clearly, the New Orleans and Tampa game were the bizarre scenarios. The first because I don't think teams often run a drive that goes 8 minutes, and the second, because I believe if you take all NFL kickers and ask them to convert a 62 yarder, even without the defense in the game, chances are they'll miss it.

However, having said that, there's obviously a LOT of concern. Not sure if the concern should be directed to a specific scenario like the running game, which I frankly believe we can run, or if it should be directed towards McNabb because he clearly showed that he's capable of playing on another level, and I am not sure if the defense sucks, considering that they did hold Tampa to a freaking 62 yard attempt and if it wasn't for the crazy 8 minute drive in New Orleans, they haven't exactly been bad. They kept Jacksonville to 13 total points. It wasn't them who costed a TD in Tampa, and it wasn't them that costed a TD against Dallas. Their truely bad game came against New Orleans.

In other words, there's absolutely no way that we can extract a particular problem and identify it as the only problem the Eagles have that limits them. I think the Eagles can be SB champs because they've shown they can play to that level, and I also think that the Eagles can miss the playoffs, because they've shown that they can screw things up.

My last 2c, I think that the Eagles are mentally weak. After the Dallas game, they've either lost focus, or somewhat got distracted. Maybe Reid decided to ride McNabb too much, maybe he doesn't want to overuse Westbrook, maybe he doesn't trust Moats or Buckhalter, maybe maybe maybe. But the fact is, the team is losing because of MENTAL issues, not being soft, or small or any other weird scenario.

Fix the MENTAL errors, win more games.

I'm still a believer in Reid, and honestly, I don't understand the obsession with the Power Run game. Last time I checked, several "running" teams stink (the Squeelers are worst than us!), and several "passing" teams are winning (New England, Indianapolis, etc.).

I think that the Eagles have the talent and approach to win it all. What they lack, is the mentality. That comes through the veterans, and maybe Andy needs to get a hold of them and hold them up to their word.
                              "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

Some of you are missing the obvious cliches used by analysts.

You can't take their words on face value.

When an analyst says a team is "soft" he basically means the team is a poor tackling team and gets swallowed easily by bigger teams. In this case, the Eagles are "soft". Our tackling has been shoddy and we simply are not strong enough or physical enough up front right now to handle a team that can line up and pound the football.

By saying a team can't run with a "physical nature" it means run the ball with any level of consistent success.

Comment

Working...
                                X