No announcement yet.

Offseason News Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting this just because of the title. That is all.

Season's Beating: Where the Cowboys went wrong
    December 29, 2008 3:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley PHILADELPHIA -- The Cowboys rolled out their marketing campaign for the 2009 season only moments after their season-killing 44-6 loss to the Eagles on Sunday. For now, owner Jerry Jones is taking "Countdown to Continuity" for a spin.

Moments after the game, Jones embarrassed himself one last time this season by citing Wade Phillips' "experience" as the reason for bringing him back in 2009. The owner talked about the importance of continuity in reverent tones and pointed to how it had paid off for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    But continuity for the sake of continuity is pointless. The Rooney family stuck with Bill Cowher through tough seasons in Pittsburgh because they believed in his approach to the game. After two years of watching Phillips coddle a bunch of egotistical players, why would Jones want to continue down this path? Phillips and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett failed on the biggest stage this season, but they've been asked to come back for an encore.

Jones, who met with Phillips on Monday morning, explained to me Sunday that one of his biggest regrets was firing Chan Gailey after two seasons in the late '90s. I quickly looked around to see if anyone else was laughing, but the man was actually serious. Phillips is being given a reprieve, in part, because another puppet head coach wasn't given a fair shake. Never mind that star quarterback Troy Aikman had no respect for Gailey, a man who rivaled Phillips in the charisma department. For some reason, Jones keeps talking about how difficult it is to go find a successful head coach. But in places such as Miami, Baltimore and Atlanta, first-year coaches have flourished. Unfortunately Jones never realized Tony Sparano's importance to the staff until he was coaching another owner's players.

I guess we shouldn't have been surprised to find players giggling in the locker room moments after Sunday's humiliating loss in Philly. It's not like the loss was all that fresh since they'd pretty much been eliminated from the playoffs by halftime.
    As I've stated before, the Cowboys feel a sense of entitlement that has been forged by their owner and head coach. Unlike a lot of people, I still think Tony Romo will eventually win big games on a consistent basis, but his postgame performance Sunday was regrettable on so many levels. Maybe we should cut him some slack after he collapsed in the showers, but he elected to take part in a lengthy discussion with reporters. He's been able to maintain some of his glad-to-be-here charm while becoming a national celebrity, but on Sunday, he sounded like a big-league snob in defending his turnovers and pinning blame on the team's protection schemes.
    In the aftermath of one of the most embarrassing losses in club history, fans don't care about perspective. They want to hear from a guy who's mad as hell that the Cowboys didn't live up to expectations. Instead, Romo suggested Sunday's loss was but a blip on the radar compared with other things he's dealt with in life. And while I'm sure it's true, that's not what fans want to hear after a humiliating loss.
    Romo's body took an awful toll this season, but he's steadily using up his benefit of the doubt collateral that he earned while saving the franchise six games into the 2006 season. Romo can come across as condescending, and that's too bad since I know it's not really his personality.

He's fallen victim to a team of enablers at Valley Ranch led by Jones, Phillips and Garrett. In 2006, Bill Parcells tried to warn us there would be days like these, but no one wanted to listen. Parcells came off as a grumpy old man while Romo won over the hearts of fans and teammates. Now, all the people capable of keeping him grounded have left the building. His former mentor and close friend David Lee is now the quarterbacks coach for the Dolphins. Lee's too busy working with Chad Pennington and rookie Chad Henne to reach out to Romo.

On Sunday, Jones was pressed on the issue of how he would create excitement about a new $1.3 billion statement with promise of continuity. He informed reporters that fans usually come around by the spring -- and maybe he's right.

The Jerry Jones from the late '90s would've reacted in disgust to Sunday's lopsided loss. The Jones from Sunday night seemed more like a pacifist.

Well, at least he has plenty of company at Valley Ranch.
    Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
      Of course he would if it was best for the organization....again this myth Lurie is a cheapskate flies in the face of alot of evidence...the thing some cannot get their head around is there are NOT many NFL coaches better than Reid available or even alive and Lurie believes Reid is the guy who will get it done.
      You know VFK, I don't take walking away from $11M lightly either. And I wasn't even bashing Lurie. But how can you say that the evidence supports Lurie not being a cheapskate? Or if you prefer, fiscally responsible? The payroll numbers tell a different story. But why let facts get in the way of a defense, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
        Jason Garrett is being looked at by one team other than Dallas retaining him.
        That's not good news for the Eagles. Between the heat Jerry's getting over his moronic statement about keeping the coaches in place and his fear of losing Garrett this might be enough to force him to dump Phillips and begin the Garrett era. Obviously as Eagles fans we want Wade to stick around for a long, LONG time!!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Anyone think Parcells will surface for Denver? I know Bowlen doesn't want to give the reigns to another GM/Head Coach but with Parcells, it seems apparent that he comes in for a year or two and then would move upstairs for a successor.

That Denver job has to be the most coveted in football right now (of the jobs available). How quick do you see Shannahan landing in either Dallas or Washington?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
            You know VFK, I don't take walking away from $11M lightly either. And I wasn't even bashing Lurie. But how can you say that the evidence supports Lurie not being a cheapskate? Or if you prefer, fiscally responsible? The payroll numbers tell a different story. But why let facts get in the way of a defense, eh?
            You know, there is middle ground between being a cheapskate and dumping money to any idiot who holds his hands out.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
              Anyone think Parcells will surface for Denver? I know Bowlen doesn't want to give the reigns to another GM/Head Coach but with Parcells, it seems apparent that he comes in for a year or two and then would move upstairs for a successor.

That Denver job has to be the most coveted in football right now (of the jobs available). How quick do you see Shannahan landing in either Dallas or Washington?
              Why would Parcells leave Miami?

Comment

Most teams wouldn't give up so quickly on Zorn but Danny's ego makes it very possible for Shannahan to get an offer for DC. Here's where Danny can continue to screw up that team!! Its not that I don't think Shannahan would do a good job for the skins, but why in the world would he want to go there? And once they bring him in for an interview Zorn loses credibility and confidence with the team. So after Shannahan turns them down the Foreskins are left with a weakened Zorn to lead them again next year. PERFECT!! As for Dallas I don't see Jones changing from his "master plan" with a new stadium on the horizon. I think his ego will force him to stay the course and wait for a good time to promote Garrett. The only way I see Jerry making a change now is if he thinks he might lose Garrett to another team and pulls the trigger to start his HC tenure a little earlier rather than risk losing him.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

From what I've heard, Garret's stock has plummeted almost as much as the DOW since this time last year.

Comment

Spags to Denver! Its the perfect fit. Promote someone on Shananan's offensive staff to be OC and to keep some continuity for Cutler and bring in Spags to fix the defense and the Broncos are right back in the mix in the AFC!
                    I miss Philly!

Comment

Eagles have never been at or among the bottom few of the payroll numbers...and several years they have been within the top 6. Most years they have been middle of the pack which certainly does not support Lurie being a cheapskate.

You pretty consistently poke at the Eagles and Lurie for being cheap and its silly IMO. The guy bought the team, saved it from being moved and has turned it totally around into one of the model organizations in the league. He has completely revamped the facilities, built a new stadium, highly compensated his coaches & management, invested heavily in the team personnel and invested millions in the community of Philadelphia. The Eagles are one of the biggest sources for charity & giving back in the city.

We should be glad he also supports being fiscally responsible and managing the cap smartly. Would you rather the team goes belly up and threatens to move again? Would you rather they blow the cap and not be able to sign/replace talent? Would you rather they skimp on good coaches & medical staff so they can pay the players more?

Lurie is NOT a problem IMO. He has done alot of good here and we are lucky to have him after our past string of owners and looking around at guys like Snyder & Jones.
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                        Why would Parcells leave Miami?
                        He's letting it be known he'd be interested in coaching again. Supposedly with Huizenga's sale of the Dolphins - Parcells can get out of his contract.

Comment

He's letting it be known he'd be interested in coaching again. Supposedly with Huizenga's sale of the Dolphins - Parcells can get out of his contract.
                          Well it is Miami, maybe he'll pull a Pat Riley and force Sporano out the door like Riley did with Van Gundy.

Comment

Not only can he get out, he gets PAID.

That is a sweet deal.

Then he can double dip and get paid again somewhere else as a coach.

Reminds me of when we paid Aaron McKie not to play and the Lakers (?) paid him again to play.

Comment

That is a sweet deal.

Reminds me of when we paid Aaron McKie not to play and the Lakers (?) paid him again to play.
                              Aaron McKie has had some weird things happen. Wasn't it last year where he was a coach for Mo Cheeks but the Bobcats or someone had to call him to active duty on their roster?

Comment

That is a sweet deal.

How about Chris "the douchebag" Webber.

Comment

Working...
                                X