• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider analysis of Kolb pick

36. Philadelphia Eagles
    Pick acquired from Cleveland through Houston
    The pick: Kevin Kolb, QB, Houston
    Scouts take: This is too much of a reach to consider it a quality pick and considering this is the Eagles' first pick of the day makes this even worse but it's understandable. The reason is Kolb is an excellent fit for the West Coast offense and the future if the quarterback situation needs to be addressed since Donovan McNabb and Kelly Holcomb aren't getting any younger.

DMac ain't getting any younger but he just isn't that old. Maybe injuries are a worry but I just don't get the age thing---healthy a QB can play many years
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

This pick sucks. No logic or value in it.

I can't wait to boo him.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Kevin Kolb
        QB | (6'3", 218, 4.85) | HOUSTON

Scouts Grade: 71 Selected by: Philadelphia Eagles
        Round: 2
        Pick (Overall): 4(36)
        View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
        You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses a very good combination of size, arm strength and mobility. He has adequate height and is well-built. He shows above average arm strength with good zip on the deep out and on vertical throws. Shows good overall touch and knows how to lead his receivers on quick slants and crossing routes. Shows better accuracy in short-to-intermediate passing game than he does in the vertical passing game. He is an effective passer on the run. When on time with his delivery, he can fit the ball into tight spots that many other prospects in this class simply can't hit. He shows good initial quickness and vision as a runner. He lacks explosive speed but is very much a threat to run. He is a tough, competitive and instinctive runner, who will break some tackles and find the first-down marker. He is intelligent and picks things up quickly. Coaches speak highly of his work ethic, leadership and dedication. He also has been extremely durable and has great experience.

Weaknesses: Comes from a passer-friendly spread offensive scheme in college. He's intelligent but his NFL learning curve could be steep -- he has almost no experience in a pro-style scheme and he's coming from the mid-major collegiate level. His decision making can be erratic and he must learn to do a better job of protecting the football. He has a bit of a wind-up delivery and will need some mechanical work in order to speed up his release. He also has a bit of a three-quarter delivery and will have too many passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, as a result. He is a streaky passer that will lose the "strike zone" at times. His deep ball sails too often. He still has room to improve in terms of finding "hot reads" and beating the blitz with his arm.

Overall: Kolb started all 13 games as a true freshman and was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year and selected to the All-Conference USA Third Team. He finished the season completing 61-percent of his attempts for 3,131 yards, 25 touchdowns and just six interceptions. In 2004, Kolb again started every game (11) and tallied 2,766 passing yards with a 56-percent completion percentage, threw 11 touchdown passes, and six interceptions. He returned for his third-consecutive year as Houston's starter in 2005 (12 contests) and was named to the C-USA third team, when he completed 60.5-percent of his passes for 3,258 yards and 19 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions. In 2006, Kolb was named the C-USA Player of the Year after he completed 67.6-percent of his attempts for 3,809 yards, 30 touchdowns, and just four interceptions during the 14-game season. Over the course of his career, he also rushed for 751 yards and 21 touchdowns.
        Kolb hasn't consistently played against top competition in college (C-USA) and he also comes from a passer-friendly spread-offense, which generates some legitimate concerns regarding his transition to the NFL game. Even with that in mind, we believe Kolb is one of the more underrated prospects in the 2007 NFL draft class. He possesses a fine combination of size, arm strength and mobility, and he has great experience as a four-year starter. Kolb has enough upside to warrant consideration late on Day 1 or early on Day 2.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Comment

Seriously, how old is AJ Feeley? C'mon, man. We already have McNabb insurance. We have a LOT invested at the QB position now, but only ONE can play at a time, and this is and wil be McNabb's team for years yet.

This was a R E A C H. Now, if Brady Quinn fell all the way for us, and we picked him, I'd understand that. But QB IS NOT A NEED. We have 3 guys who have started in this league, and one of them is a Pro-Bowler. How many teams can say that?
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
            Seriously, how old is AJ Feeley? C'mon, man. We already have McNabb insurance. We have a LOT invested at the QB position now, but only ONE can play at a time, and this is and wil be McNabb's team for years yet.

This was a R E A C H. Now, if Brady Quinn fell all the way for us, and we picked him, I'd understand that. But QB IS NOT A NEED. We have 3 guys who have started in this league, and one of them is a Pro-Bowler. How many teams can say that?
            I fully agree, can not fathom this pick UNLESS there is another shoe that will drop before the season, using one of those 3 QB's not named McNabb.

Comment

It's definitely strange but I don't know, if you took Brady Quinn he's gotta start year 2, Kolb can be mentored for at least 2 years and fill in when McNabb is hurt and then take over or be traded. Look what Atlanta got for Shaub who hardly ever played. By taking Kolb as high as we did I think it gives him some future trade value as long as he plays well when we do use him. That is still not a reason to take him with our first pick you wouldn't think. Maybe there's something going on with McNabb that we don't know about.

Comment

I just don't think that you take on a mentor job with your first pick.

Is there no good QB's coming out next year?
                www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Maybe Kolb is a "super" holder!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Trying to figure out the reasoning behind this pick tells me one major point.Andy & Company think that the 53 man roster as it stands today,is good enough to win a Super Bowl.Why else would you draft a guy that can't help you for at least two years?IMO the Birds still need help at LB,S,and CB so we'll see if they address these needs at #87 & #90.
                    So far,this draft has been non-existent and flat out wasteful.
                    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Well, we didn't. HappY????????
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga
                        I just don't think that you take on a mentor job with your first pick.

Is there no good QB's coming out next year?
                        Actually there quite a few guys coming out next year. One that's at the top of my list is Hawaii's Heisman hopeful, Colt Brennan.
                        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Most teams, at least good ones, do not draft for need alot....they also do not usually get players that will impact right away their 1st year...

Reid stated Kolb was the BPA on their board at #36...he said they targeted several of the CB/S who were chosen right before them at #26 so they traded back, picked up some extra picks and went at it again...

Several of the commentators stated several teams liked Kolb so we have no idea really if he was a reach at #36 or not....my opinion would be he was, but we'll have to see what happens...

I think the 2 5th rounders will be used on CB/S or they will package a player and picks to move into the 4th round...
                          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Maybe they plan to trade AJ Feeley to Miami for a second round pick next year.

Comment

Originally posted by statler
                              Maybe they plan to trade AJ Feeley to Miami for a second round pick next year.

Or Holcomb for a #4!

Comment

Working...
                              X