Value and need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value and need

Something I don't get about the "best player available" approach. If the best player available is one who plays a position where you don't have a need, why not trade down? That's what we did at 26 and presumably they could have done it again with their first pick in the second round, especially if it's true that Miami had their eye on Kolb. The eagles are as quick to trade picks as anyone. So I don't buy this "best player on the board" line from the front office. There is a reason why they picked Kolb.

Possibilities:
    a) McNabb on the way out
    b) Expensive insurance policy for McNabb
    c) Part of a deal that hasn't unfolded yet

IMO, combination a and b. He's an insurance policy for McNabb until injuries and age force McNabb to either retire or the Eagles to let him go. Hopefully that will be 4-5 years away.

Comment

I stand by my opinion that they were taken off guard by Buffalo trading ahead of them and taking their guy and they panicked.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
        I stand by my opinion that they were taken off guard by Buffalo trading ahead of them and taking their guy and they panicked.
        Could be. It is thought by some that this will be Modrak's last draft in Buffalo. think he may harbor a grudge against the Eagles, even after all this time?

Comment

I stand by my opinion that the Eagles never wanted Poz.

Comment

Originally posted by goldbach
            I stand by my opinion that the Eagles never wanted Poz.
            Same here. The Eagles are one team that wouldn't be caught off guard like that. These guys have a list for their lists.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Possibilities:
              a) McNabb on the way out - ANyone who knows anything about football knows that Donovan McNabb is one of the top QB's in the NFL. ANyone who follows the Iggles knows that Reid LOVES McNabb. Anyone who knows McNabb, knows that an ACL is not an injury to affect him, since he wants to be a pocket QB. McNabb can lose two steps and still avoid being sacked. It is only his unwillingness to get rid of the ball that gets him sacked. McNabb will be the starter for five more years, barring a serious injury.

b) Expensive insurance policy for McNabb - Please help me with this. How is a second round pick, who will probably be signed for four years an expensive pick? I'm refrainin from calling this statement what it is, since I've always liked you.

c) Part of a deal that hasn't unfolded yet - I think this could be right, but as I've said before, I think AR loves developing young QB's and that is very important for the WCO. He will get three years to see if this kid has it. If not, he'll spend an even higher pick on another QB in the draft. It is so frig'n hard to find a top QB, so teams have to grab them when they see them..........no matter who your starter is. You HAVE TO HAVE GOOD BACKUP QB's to survive when something happens to the starter.......like twice in the past two years.
              Pedro

Comment

I don't think for one second that they got caught off guard, or panicked. They knew exactly what they were doing, and the dynamics behind that decision are what have me perplexed.

Comment

IMO...I think the BPA is talked about alot but it takes giant gonads and tremendous job security to actually be committed to it particaularly with your early draft picks. The eagles would have taken another player if the guys they valued were still on the board at some of the more needed positions.

Comment

Maybe the team as a whole wasn't off guard, but Andy (the head guy) was IMO. His LOA hurt this draft more then most people think.
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                      I don't think for one second that they got caught off guard, or panicked. They knew exactly what they were doing, and the dynamics behind that decision are what have me perplexed.
                      I'm buyin this!

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                        Maybe the team as a whole wasn't off guard, but Andy (the head guy) was IMO. His LOA hurt this draft more then most people think.
                        I'm sellin this!

Comment

Working...
                        X