Talk about Safety precautions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about Safety precautions.

I love Dawk, but he has had two very poor years in the last three. Even he admitted that 05 was the worst of his career. Yes he's a workout warrior and you know how much I like those kind of guys! But it's time to think about the unthinkable. Add in that Lewis and Mikell are also at the end of their contracts. Be honest that Lewis declined in 05 from his good 04 performance and the question about his role in Philly becomes a valid question. Mikell is a great ST player but has not made a big charge to start either so he is a questionable and replaceable commodity. Doesn't anyone smell smoke in this woodpile. Just maybe they should be looking over their shoulders at Considine and the Ware boys Matt and Scott. I would not be surprised to see Considine (FS) and Matt Ware (SS) get some increasing reps as the year goes on. This could be a transition year for our secondary. Could Scott Ware also step up into Mikell's ST and backup slot?

I agree....after 2007 there will be safety changes for sure IMO....

Re-signing Dawk is going to be an important decision IMO, but even if they do I believe it will only be for 1-2 years...

Lewis is also in his judgement year IMO; either extend him long term or start looking to replace him...

Mikell, Considine, Reed, Ware, Peoples....who knows if any replacements are here now...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Dawkins will be resigned prior to opening kickoff in September.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

For how long is the real question though IMO BP...
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I really don't think Dawk regressed last year. I thought he was great

I do think the D-Line and LBers sucked so bad that we needed the safeties at the LOS too often and it hurt both Dawk and Lewis

I'm excited as all hell to see both of them get back to what they do...punish the living shit out of people!

Comment

Dawk will be there another 2, maybe 3 but I doubt it, years. Lewis will be looked at early in the year. If he rebounds and is willing to take a reasonable contract, which I doubt, he will be signed. Otherwise I expect him to walk. Mikell is a good backup. If Lewis walks they will offer him a reasonable contract which I think he takes. If Lewis stays or one of the players nipping at his heels makes great strides early in the year I can see him leaving but I think he stays.
            This year it is Dawk, Lewis, Considine. My vision on the next group of safeties is Dawk, Considine, Mikell for one year. Then another change but that is too far down the road.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
              Dawk will be there another 2, maybe 3 but I doubt it, years. Lewis will be looked at early in the year. If he rebounds and is willing to take a reasonable contract, which I doubt, he will be signed. Otherwise I expect him to walk. Mikell is a good backup. If Lewis walks they will offer him a reasonable contract which I think he takes. If Lewis stays or one of the players nipping at his heels makes great strides early in the year I can see him leaving but I think he stays.
              This year it is Dawk, Lewis, Considine. My vision on the next group of safeties is Dawk, Considine, Mikell for one year. Then another change but that is too far down the road.
              Lewis has made it pretty clear that he's going to the highest bidder next year. I think we sign Dawk and move him to strong safety. Considine is the real wildcard here. If he has a real strong showing this year, how can both Lewis and Dawk return next season?
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Last year was such an abomination that it's hard to say anyone had a good year. To tell you the truth, I couldn't name a single person. Trot?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
                  Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                  Lewis has made it pretty clear that he's going to the highest bidder next year. I think we sign Dawk and move him to strong safety. Considine is the real wildcard here. If he has a real strong showing this year, how can both Lewis and Dawk return next season?
                  Now that would be an ideal solution! I am really looking forward to seeing Considine in action. I have this UeberHigh faith in Heckert's ability to spot talent. Moving Dawk to SS would be a death knell for some WRs. He can hit with anyone when he moves up but importantly, he can cover better on his worst day than Lewis ever will.

Comment

They've got a year to evaluate Lewis. If he has a great half-year, they'll offer an extension (whether he signs it, who knows, but it'll be on the table). Dawkins will be an Eagle for a couple more years, maybe a few. He was far from 'very poor' last year. He's not playing at a Hall of Fame level anymore but that doesn't mean he's not a good safety. Still, I doubt that our safeties of the future are on the team right now (except of course Lewis if he signs).

But the Dawkins thing brings up an interesting point. There are two players on the Eagles that are irreplaceable - McNabb and Dawkins. By irreplaceable I mean if that player retired tomorrow, there is not another player in the NFL who could perform the same way. Not better or worse necessarily, but the same way. There are players that can do what Corey Simon did, or Hugh Douglas did, or Jeremiah Trotter did, etc. etc. But Dawkins is a truly unique safety - he blitzes, he covers, he tackles, he hits, he plays on the line of scrimmage... Dawk does it all. Nobody has the same skillset. This is why he got the elusive signed-after-30 deal. When the time comes to replace him, it could be a completely different type of player who is brought in, because Dawk's absence will require an overhaul of the defensive scheme itself.

Comment

Trot was the only guy in the front 7 that played worth a crap, you can't judge your DBs when there is 0 pressure up front. They will flat out rock this year, cuz the front 7 will be vastly improved.book It.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman
                        Trot was the only guy in the front 7 that played worth a crap, you can't judge your DBs when there is 0 pressure up front. They will flat out rock this year, cuz the front 7 will be vastly improved.book It.
                        I concur here.... IMO, you'd be foolish to jump to conclusions and make assumptions on the DB's based on the 05 season--- they had no help up front, thus it's like a pyramid breaking down.

Let's see them operate with a decent front 7 and then give them a report card.

Comment

I love (actually mean, ) when someone says that Dawlkins has lost a step. There is absolutely nothing available to back that up. There are no times. There are no burns by guys who couldn't burn him before. There is nothing clear cut to show that he lost a step. There was a poor performance when he came back from an injury and last year when the front line got no pressure and Adams was missing tacke after tackle and had to be supported by the entire LB crew and safeties.

I supsect he is not as fast, but when you are the fastest guy at your postition and you are the best at your postiion in many other ways, losing a half step or whole step is not the end of his career. It just means he has to change his role a little bit. It is more about knowing his limitations as a FS than having them. As long as he takes the right angles, knows the play and/or covers the right guy (slower guy), he can still play at a PB level. Last time I checked, being the fastest guy at FS has not been the deciding factor in who is the best.

On another topic from above,,,,,I'd love to see Dawk move to SS if Lewis doesn't pick it back up. Afterall, he has every skill that you look for in a SS. WIth his slowing down, he will eventually be a prototypical SS. He may even be good enough to be a pro-bowl SS this year.
                          Pedro

Comment

I'm with Pedro. I saw no evidence that Dawk was losing it physically last season. The issues I saw were MENTAL. Coverage and assinment mistakes. Bad calls, like playing the underneath instead of over the top. Everything goes haywire when you're not geting pressure up front. The corners and safeties need to play less agressive. They didn't and at times got burned for it, looking into the backfield, looking to jump a route execting the pressure to get there....and it never did.

Those looking to bury old man Dawk can go spit.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                            X