No announcement yet.

Eagles meet again with Temple S Jaiquawn Jarrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another reason why you don't use high draft choices on guys out of crap conferences. Finally this year we used ours to grab a couple of guys from the SEC for a change! that's where the real college defense is played! I'm sure that #4 Boykin out of Georgia is going to accomplish more than Jarrett ever will in the NFL.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
      It was ugly at times, no doubt. But as for the Fitzgerald catch -- one of the highlighted plays there -- Lawlor has said several times that he has heard from good sources that Samuel was primarily at fault on that play. I sure hope they weren't counting on Jarrett to be able to cover Fitzgerald.

I'm willing to give any rookie a pass for last year -- most players have lots of rookie mistakes with normal offseasons, and rookies last year had even less chance than that, and the players around him were anything but consistent. That article does seem to back up the contention that Jarrett was thinking too much; being late on everything.

Hopefully he'll be much better this year. But yeah, he does have to improve a lot, and it's sure not a given. I'll be surprised if he does not make the team, but if Phillips really impresses and Jarrett has a bad camp, he could be cut.

Comment

I'm with FairOaks. Of course he sucked and looked lost. Most of our DBs, even the great Nnamdi looked lost and confused and late to the party much of last season. More concerning in a rookie season for me is a guy who appears to be clearly physically overmatched in this league. I don't think we can say that is the case with JJ at this time. Mentally the light had not gone on and perhaps it never will. But I am not going to base that assumption on some limited plays from last season.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Fresh that is dead on. Mentally, there is a lot to take in so i will give him a pass. Physicalli, he is undersized but i think he can hang. This season is the key season and he gets every chance to make it.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            I'm with FairOaks. Of course he sucked and looked lost. Most of our DBs, even the great Nnamdi looked lost and confused and late to the party much of last season. More concerning in a rookie season for me is a guy who appears to be clearly physically overmatched in this league. I don't think we can say that is the case with JJ at this time. Mentally the light had not gone on and perhaps it never will. But I am not going to base that assumption on some limited plays from last season.

The secondary was a mess from the get-go, and two guys deserve a large amount of the blame, IMO:
            • Joltin' Joe Banner: This fuckin' guy decided to play hardball one last time by screwing with DeSean Jackson and insisting on a good trade return for Samuel. So the Eagles were stuck with trying to shoehorn Samuel to play with two corners who like to play man press coverage outside. DRC fucked up the slot job until Hanson came back to the spot, then DRC basically had no role.
            • Juan Castillo, the hardest working man in show business: Juan thought he was just so clever at the start of last year. He had the safeties flipped around and tried to turn Asomugha into Charles Woodson. He was handed an Asante Samuel shitpile by the aforementioned Joe Banner and then proceeded to get it all over his shoes. He was hopelessly overmatched from the start, and the secondary in particular was a total disaster.
            With no offseason workouts and Castillo overseeing his development, Jarrett had zero chance last year, IMO.

Who knows if Jarrett is good enough? It's not a good sign that they didn't even trust him enough last year to put him on special teams. Maybe he washes out entirely this year. Maybe Todd Bowles can help.

I'm figuring Atogwe wins the starting job next to Allen right out of training camp if he stays healthy.
            Last edited by Leonard Tose; 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I was listening to an interview where NNamdi was speaking GLOWINGLY about the addition of Bowles and about how incredibly intelligent the man is. Seemed completely sincere. If so, hopefully that helps ALL of our DBs come into this season better prepared, and perhaps Jarrett is still salvageable.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I was listening to an interview where NNamdi was speaking GLOWINGLY about the addition of Bowles and about how incredibly intelligent the man is. Seemed completely sincere. If so, hopefully that helps ALL of our DBs come into this season better prepared, and perhaps Jarrett is still salvageable.

I'm sure it is sincere. He sincerely wants someone other than Castillo helping to run this defense, and particularly the secondary.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I wonder how/if Andy will be able to marginalize JC while letting him and JC save face.

Comment

Well, if you look at it.....he has Washburn to run the DL, Bowles to run the secondary, and that leaves Castillo to tinker with the LB's.....which is the position HE played. Correct?

Comment

Well, if you look at it.....he has Washburn to run the DL, Bowles to run the secondary, and that leaves Castillo to tinker with the LB's.....which is the position HE played. Correct?

Who is our LB coach anyway? I think it goes way past talent here. It's all coaching, and we suck there. Is it still Caldwell?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

Who is our LB coach anyway? I think it goes way past talent here. It's all coaching, and we suck there. Is it still Caldwell?
                        Yes it is Mike Caldwell Popper. IMO the jury's still out on Caldwell but this year he actually has talent to work with.
                        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Caldwell is a young inexperienced coach that I figure Castillo will look to work with. Bowles and Wash are senior, highly experienced coaches who can run their own show.

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                            Yes it is Mike Caldwell Popper. IMO the jury's still out on Caldwell but this year he actually has talent to work with.
                            Hell, I thought it was Mosses the way they parted when a RB went up the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                              I wonder how/if Andy will be able to marginalize JC while letting him and JC save face.
                              If, given a year and a half to get his act together, the addition of some solid defensive vets and newbies, and a full off season to work with this defensive group, Castillo shits the bed again in the early games, then either AR quietly demotes the clown or my head simply explodes.

I'm not optimistic about Castillo turning the corner...mainly hoping the talent on D can somehow overcome Juan's shortcomings.

Comment

Hey T, how did you make out with the flooding in Florida?

Comment

Working...
                                X