Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoutland May Get New Lineman

Thanks to Trump

A Donald Trump decision could help Eagles sign a new offensive lineman, Brett Toth
    By Dave Zangaro August 13, 2019 2:20 PM
    3 Comments

A decision by President Donald Trump might apparently help the Eagles sign a new offensive lineman.

Really.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Eagles are interested in signing former Army offensive tackle Brett Toth, who “is seeking a waiver from senior Army leadership” that would allow him to join the Eagles.

In June, Trump signed a presidential memorandum that ordered the Pentagon to develop a policy that would allow players from military academies to play professional sports after graduation, deferring their service obligation.

In that memo in June, Trump said military academy athletes should be allowed to defer because of the “short window of time” they have to play pro sports.

In 2018, Toth became the first player from West Point to be invited to the annual Senior Bowl. Toth graduated last May and is a second lieutenant in the Army. He’s now a year removed from football.

“The NFL dream waits until my service is done,” Toth said last January, via USA Today. “You have that dream ever since you started playing ball, or even being young and in the backyard playing ball. But again, being at West Point, initially thought it was going to be five years (of military service), for me at least. Going in, I didn’t think (the NFL) was going to be something for me. But now, under the current administration, the requirement is two years, so it looks like I might be doing both.”

Even if the Eagles sign Toth, he won’t have a great shot at making the 53-man roster. Perhaps he could stick around as a practice squad player.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

He could be a true PS project. Nobody would touch him for logistical concerns.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Schefter reports we have a 3 year deal signed

Comment

Ray Diddinger said that he gave him a 4th round grade coming out of college. The problem is that Army only passed the ball 20 times his senior year. He said the kid is a road grader,who understands zone blocking and is skilled at it , so there is some potential
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I just LOVE our front office !

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            Ray Diddinger said that he gave him a 4th round grade coming out of college. The problem is that Army only passed the ball 20 times his senior year. He said the kid is a road grader,who understands zone blocking and is skilled at it , so there is some potential
            Sorry, I believe they actually completed 20 passes

Comment

I've also seen him with a seventh round grade. The bottom line though is that he is a guy with potential
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

At least he won't have any problems with the playbook!

Toth, a second lieutenant who graduated as a nuclear engineer in May 2018 and fulfilled his first year of active military service, was waiting for Army leadership to allow him to sign his contract with the Eagles and try to win a spot on their roster.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                X