X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bengals take Brooks in 3rd round of supplemental draft

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Bengals jumped in front of the 49ers and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

Brooks was considered a first-round pick before having troubles at the University of Virginia. He suffered a knee injury last season and some off-field problems led him to being kicked off the football team.

Brooks' weight ballooned to around 290 pounds before he started going on a diet and then started working out with trainer Chip Smith in Atlanta. For his workout for NFL teams in June, he was 260 pounds, and he had decent but not great times in the 40.

In the past couple of weeks, Brooks started training with his former coach at Hargrave Military Academy. He lifted for two hours and did hard running drills for two hours.

Brooks told his agent, Greg Williams, he was in the best shape of his life.

It was interesting the Bengals would take him ahead of other teams such as the 49ers or Miami Dolphins. Character was an issue with Brooks, but it's a big theme of the Bengals' offseason. Bengals draft choices Frostee Rucker and A.J. Nicholson have had off-the-field incidents. Wide receiver Chris Henry, a third-round choice last year, has been arrested four times in the past year.

To acquire Brooks, the Bengals gave up a third-round choice in the 2007 draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2518193

Seems to me that the guy may have a sort of destructive personality.... I wouldn't be shocked if he had some off field troubles once he settles into the nfl(just my gut feeling)... no question though that the guy has some serious upside.

Comment

Yeah, he and Chris Henry can get together and be partners in crime. I guess the Bengals don't subscribe to the Fool Me Once theory.

I guess with Housh and Chad Johnson as their solid #1 and #2, they can afford to take risks.

Comment

Marvin Lewis is taking so many of these high-risk character-issue guys it's only a matter of time before he poison's his own team. Just because he might have gotten through to a guy or two doesn't mean that he'll be able to turn around all of them. A bit of arrogance on his part i think.

Comment

This is really stupid by Marvin.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Hey it worked when he was in Baltimore....
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Brooks was the top recruited LBer out of HS/Hargrave. He started his freshman year at UVA and looked good. He had a very good 2nd year, but the knee injury really set him back. He looked like crap last year.

I don't know anyone who knows much about his character, I only read the articles this spring about him being on, then off the team. With those problems, you would think Marvin wouldn't want to take a chance on a character guy. Maybe he did a lot of homework on him?
              Pedro

Comment

Well Odell Thurman just got suspended for pot so Marvin is trading one knucklehead for another.
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Well Odell Thurman just got suspended for pot so Marvin is trading one knucklehead for another.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

The very same Odell Thurman that the national media was tripping over themselves to suck him off when he was a rookie, lauding Marvin Lewis for 'taking a chance' on a kid like that, getting first round talent in the 2nd and 3rd round, etc.

What about now?

How about a little criticism of Lewis now that a bunch of these risky picks seem to be blowing up in his face?

Bengals are in for a tough season. 6-10 or 7-9. Have you seen their schedule? Absolutely brutal.

Comment

Working...
                    X