Greatest Guitar Players Of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Guitar Players Of All-Time

I'll start with the easy ones, Clapton, Stevie Ray, Jimi,Roy Buchanon, Frank Zappa
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Carlos Santana, Robbie Robertson, Robert Johnson

Not a big fan of Phish, but their guitar player is pretty good as is Jerry Garcia.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Trey Anastasio is his name and he is good IMO...

Zappa is #1 IMO...Jimi was sick, but Zappa could play any style, any speed, any way...

Belew
      Gilmour
      Beck
      Townshend
      Harrison
      Van Halen
      Satriani
      Reid
      Weller
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Easy. Mark Knopfler.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I don't listen to Beck but his work on Roger Waters solo albums were phenomenal.

Comment

It looks like most all the bases are covered. The prerequisite of this one for me is that when you hear them on the radio or whatever, you know it's them.

Knopfler
            Santana
            Clapton
            BB
            I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

You've mentioned all my favorites already:

Knopfler
              Stevie Ray
              Zappa
              Townshend
              Hendrix

I realize that Clapton is insanely talented, but his stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.
              The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

I'm in that minority of freaks that believes the extended guitar solo was pretty much the worst musical invention of the 20th century, so it's little surprise I dislike a lot of the guys listed.

However, I'm very surprised to see no mention of Page 6 posts in. Like Hendrix and Syd Barrett before him, he was a master at expressing himself in many guitar styles and making it sound powerful and emotional.

I actually liked Townshend's energy and relative simplicity, though he's also been responsible for some of the worst guitar (and keyboard) riffs in this history of rock music.

Beck's best work was on the Yardbirds and the first incarnation of the Beck Group where Rod Stewart was singing and they actually did real songs rather than extended blues jams. Page stole a lot from Beck; play the album "Truth" from '68 and compare it to Led Zeppelin I which came out shortly thereafter and it's uncanny.

I can definitely recognize amazing guitar talent and respect it for what it is, but the only guitarists I really like are those in the service of a great song. Which is why I prefer Hendrix and Young for all their sloppiness to their much more talented counterparts like Clapton and Zappa.

Comment

Hey that is not that crazy of an idea 2nd...I have many friends that feel the same in varying degrees...I disagree that Zappa had no great songs...obviously I think he had many...

Page is a big oversight, simply a master at his craft IMO...never thought Barrett would make a list of great guitarists, but within the context of your statement I see what you are driving at...Neil Young I like alot.

Great story about Townshend and Eddie Van Halen in the mid 80's when Eddie was still full of vinegar (and VH actually was worth talking about). Townshend has always been somewhat of a music historian type and very sensitive to his place in the rock pantheon; young guns like Strummer, Weller, Frampton et al. would recieve phone calls or letters from Townshend lauding them for their good music and asking them to jam with him randomly....people normally did not turn him down since most liked Pete, but also because if you did he would write you off for life basically...

Anyway, so the story goes Townshend sends a missive to EVH giving him props and requesting he jam with him...Eddie did not reply so Townshend, a bit miffed, called Eddie and requested again...Eddie said he had never heard Pete's music and asked what album would give him the most insight into it...well, you can imagine Pete was upset and, after a long pause, stated Live at Leeds was their best live album and they were at their best live.

A long time passed with no contact at all from Eddie so finally Townshend called him again, this time angered and wanting to know what Eddie thought of the album...Eddie immediately started laughing and, once he got control of himself again, said it was good especially Townshend's guitar parts which were the best mistakes he had ever heard...Townshend slammed the phone down and that was that.

Story goes that Eddie did reveal to Pete it was a big joke and that Eddie loved The Who etc. So I agree 2nd that Townshend is not a polished product, but his energy, tone and groundbreaking usage of feedback/power chords make him unique...

Clapton to me is too clean...not his Cream, Derek & The Dominoes stuff, but ever since it always seems he is holding back and not letting it go full tilt...too commercial in a lot of ways, but to each his own. He is still a guitar master...

Santana is sick...saw him when Phish opened for him back in the day and he joined Phish for several songs...he and Trey went at it and Trey has talkd since about it being one of his favorite musical moments of his career since he was such a Santana admirer and playing with him only reinforced that..

-Andy Reid

Comment

Amazing that Syd Barrett has gotten a mention but no David Gilmour? His work on Shine on You Crazy Diamond parts 1 to 483 were awesome.

Comment

Look again at my post, Vin...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                        Look again at my post, Vin...
                        Oh, i tend to ignore yours.

Comment

LOL...

-Andy Reid

Comment

How could I forget Page, big oversight , would also like to add Steve Vai, Duane Allman,Albert Collins,Buddy Guy,Johnny Winter,Alvin Lee of Ten Years After,Kim Simmons from Savoy Brown,Richie Blackmore of Rainbow and Deep Purple fame, Randy Rhoads and youngsters Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang.
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

No love for Alex Lifeson?

Comment

Working...
                              X