Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Kevin Kolb update

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...zona-cardinals
    Got a kick out of how he's tried to get Larry Fitzgerald to try chewing tobacco.

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Kevin Kolb has accomplished something not even Kurt Warner always managed during his five-year run with the Arizona Cardinals.

He has brought clarity to the quarterback position.

What a relief for Arizona.

This training camp marks only the second in five under coach Ken Whisenhunt with a clearly defined, secure starter behind center.

Matt Leinart was the man in 2007 until an injury sidelined him. Whisenhunt propped up Leinart heading into camp the following year, but Kurt Warner won the job and kept it through 2009. Warner's retirement thrust Leinart back into the starting role again last offseason. The team cut him following a nondescript 2010 camp.

Tension and uncertainty have surrounded the position most years. That changed when the Cardinals traded for Kolb and signed him to a five-year, $63 million contract. Just as Kolb was desperate for a starting job while parked behind Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick in Philadelphia, the Cardinals have been starved for quarterback stability.

"When you look in his eyes, you can tell he really wants it," receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "We're going to follow his lead."

There is some blind faith involved. Kolb has only seven regular-season starts to his credit. He played well in some, not as well in others.

Can he get it done? It's too early to say. It did become clear right away upon visiting camp that Kolb is comfortable with himself and adept at relating to teammates. That separates him from Leinart and 2010 starter Derek Anderson.

It was telling, I thought, when newly signed guard Daryn Colledge cracked wise on Kolb's fat salary.

"I'll blame one of my cadence [misunderstandings] on him," Colledge joked. "I'll do that right away since he makes more money than me."

There's an obvious comfort level with Kolb already, even if Fitzgerald resisted his new quarterback's attempts to enjoin him to chew tobacco. Kolb clearly has the requisite moxie. Then again, so did Max Hall. A quarterback must play well for any of it to matter.

"He has that 'it' factor, the confidence quarterbacks that need to be successful in this league," said new Cardinals linebacker Stewart Bradley, who was also Kolb's teammate with the Eagles. "He can make all the throws, he has all the intangibles."

3. Does Kolb fit the scheme? The West Coast system Kolb learned during his time in Philadelphia differs from the one Whisenhunt installed in Arizona. I questioned heading into free agency whether Arizona would be the best landing spot for Kolb. In general, proponents of traditional West Coast systems seek to run the same plays from different formations with more precision than the defense can muster. Out-executing opponents trumps out-scheming them. A quarterback can become as good as the system allows him to be.

The Cardinals' offense relies upon matching route concepts to specific coverages. Kolb: "I like the way they put it on the quarterback to get into those concepts. As long as your quarterback can think quick on his feet, a lot of times you are going to be in the right play in the right position. It just clicks with me. ... Look at what Kurt did. He understood it. He did it at the top level and look how successful they were. There is never a ceiling of how good you can get. It’s just however much you can handle as a quarterback. That is what is exciting for me."
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

It will certainly be interesting to see how well Kolb performs this year. Because of the professional way he handled himself here, I hope he does well - except when he plays against us.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

He threw three picks in the full-team scrimmage last Saturday.

From what I've read from his new Cardinal teammates, they're very happy to have him and think he's a huge step up from Anderson, though, which he certainly is.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

He's an improvement for them - I wish him well - but he's kind of an 8-8 QB. Jake Delhomme type. If all the stars align he could have a 12-4 "special" year but he'll always be an 8-8 type.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY View Post
          He's an improvement for them - I wish him well - but he's kind of an 8-8 QB. Jake Delhomme type. If all the stars align he could have a 12-4 "special" year but he'll always be an 8-8 type.
          Agreed, IMO the Eagles really fleeced the Cardinals.
          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
            leif - you in for FF or what? Someone wants your spot if you don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
              Really? The Cardinals drafted a better CB than Rogers-Cromartie, so they improved themselves at that position. And, they ranked 31st (out of 32 teams) in Passing Offense with Derek Anderson at QB. If Kolb plays better than Anderson, they will have improved the QB position. So, I think they made a smart trade. If I had to rate the trade at this point, I would say that it is a wash - but Arizona may have improved themselves more than we did by making the trade.

The 5th round draft selection we received is a shot-in-the-dark. Fifth round choices probably have about 20% chance of even sticking.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Stock we got a second round choice in that trade not a fifth, you may be thinkning of the BUnkley trade that started as a 5th

Comment

You are correct, E2K! It was a 2nd. So, I guess we did pretty well in that trade! Still, if Kolb performs well and the Cardinals have a good season, then we both did well!

BTW, how are you doing? Are you going to be at the first preseason game? My son and his girlfriend are going and should be sitting in my seats. So, please stop by and introduce yourself! I am trying to find another ticket, so if you have any extras, I will pay full price!

Hope all is well!

Comment

Sorry I sold my tickets to the first preseason on Stubhub at a small loss. August is a busy month and I prefer not going to the preseason games in any event. Let me know if you are going to any others though so we can catch up pregame (There are others in our section that are less than face still there)

Comment

Originally posted by eagles2000 View Post
                      Stock we got a second round choice in that trade not a fifth, you may be thinkning of the BUnkley trade that started as a 5th
                      Bunkley and Kolb were like twins. I was always getting them confused.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                        Bunkley and Kolb were like twins. I was always getting them confused.
                        Kind of like people confusing my posts with VFK's?
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                          leif - you in for FF or what? Someone wants your spot if you don't want it.
                          They can have it, I'm not watching football this year.
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

hahah ok

Comment

Working...
                            X