Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man, I'm excited about our.....linebackers?? WTF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iggles should have won all but one of their first 6 games last year. McCoy was starting for the first time and just played a lot in the preseason. He learned behind Kearse and Howard, but as things turned out, there was a lot of juggling in front of him by the sixth game. He was AWESOME against the screens. He was praised by everyone for being Johnny on the spot during the screens. He was stringing out the outside runs and getting to the edge. He missed a couple tackles on the outside runs, but that could be expected for a small young LBer. He was a very solid LBer during those 6 weeks. Anyone saying differnent is simply confusing the following weeks when he had his injuryand started to stink up the joint.

I can't expect much from McCoy this year unless Gocong struggles. With TKO in front of him, he will only get on the field in the passing game and/or when TKO is moved around. He is very fast and considered a really good coverage guy....picking up the backs. As for peeling off blocks.......I don't know, but he is young enough to get stronger and better at this. With the limited playing time, I don't expect this unwarranted rep to disappear anytime soon.

I personally like our starters and each of our backups at each LBer position....including McCoy.
    Pedro

Comment

I also thought McCoy looked damn good early in the season. I don't recall any times early in the season where this "speed bump" got run over, but maybe someone can remind me....
      Prevent the prevent!

Comment

Hehehe...This was another fun read.

Anyway, here's some sort-of news...

Moise Fokou has been installed as the Eagles' starting WILL linebacker.

The Eagles' weak spot is clearly the linebacking corps. Jamar Chaney looks like a stud at the SAM position, but Casey Matthews and Fokou are major question marks. Fokou started 11 games last year and was brutal against the run, recording 43 tackles and one sack in those starts. Keenan Clayton is also an option if Fokou struggles.

Comment

I thought I read a line somewhere that Matt McCoy was just signed by someone
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

This is the one area that I just don't understand this year. Matthews may look good but are they really placing the entire "all in" season on a rookie? They've set the team up where they are forcing teams to attack on short passing plays across the middle and set up our weakest area as the guys who defend that part of the field. Why not bring in a solid vet to help out here. I just don't get it and am extremely concerned that this will haunt us as other obvious voids have haunted us in the past.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Yeah, McCoy was great. Wonder why some people didn't see it!
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

But outs across the board. Bradley is history now as well and never became what we foresaw. Man, it's hard to project LBs for this team, and has been for a long time. We do will with many of the Oline positions, DBs and QBs, but LBs are typically long shots that don't pan oput. Mathews may be the next.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

http://mcnabborkolb.com/post/8688195...es-linebackers

Time to Worry About the Eagles Linebackers?

For Eagles fans that I’ve talked to, the position of worry seems to have seamlessly migrated from cornerback to right tackle since free agency began. Even with promising training camp play by new addition Ryan Harris, there still appears to be more concern directed at that spot than anywhere else.

Yet I hear very little worry about another every-down position that seems even more tenuous: linebacker.

Perhaps people are dissatisfied with the position but have resigned themselves to mediocrity, given the lack of resources that the Eagles have put into it in the Andy Reid era. But I get the sense that there is actually a lot of positive thinking about linebacker, where the Eagles are set to start a 4th round rookie, a sophomore 7th round pick who started less than a handful of games in 2010, and a third year 7th rounder who has done little of note during his time in Philly.

Casey Matthews, Jamar Chaney, and Moise Fokou are young and promising, and I understand the optimism. But then you look at the stats and you have to wonder.

64 linebackers were drafted between the 3rd and 5th rounds over the last five NFL drafts. Exactly zero of them started a full season their rookie year. Only three players even managed to start more than six games, and the player who started the most was former Eagle Chris Gocong, with 12 games. That doesn’t inspire confidence in Matthews.

Here’s a depressing stat for you: out of all the rookie to third-year linebackers drafted in the 3rd through 7th rounds playing in the NFL during the last five years, their combined Pro Bowl appearances is one. How about another? The Eagles are set to start two former 7th round picks. No linebacker drafted in the final round in the last ten years has ever made a Pro Bowl - in any year of his career.

None of this proves anything about the three guys the Eagles have lined up to start. Maybe they can buck the trend. Maybe the scouts have found three diamonds in the rough. But all the linebackers who came before them say that the ceiling is pretty low. No one should realistically hope for Pro Bowl seasons from these guys, nor should anyone even count on Casey Matthews to start the whole season - and who is his backup?
                  At best, temper your expectations. They could be average or above average linebackers, although that seems like an optimistic result right now, not a statistical likelihood. At worst, be prepared (yet again?) for linebacker to be the weakest link on the Eagles defense.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    http://mcnabborkolb.com/post/8688195...es-linebackers

Time to Worry About the Eagles Linebackers?
                    He's our MLB until his first HGH test anyway!
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Wow, those are some damning, eye-opening statistics.

The fortunate thing may be that we have improvements both in personnel and coaching for the line, and a stud-loaded CB group that these LBs are playing in between. That should help.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Is it me, or does Casey Matthews really look like he is 45 years old? Damn, that HGH is some powerful stuff!
                        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I heard somewhere that they will be testing for performance enhancing drugs on game day.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                          X