X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seahawks could have their eye on...Tavaris Jackson???...not Kevin Kolb

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=422&sid=473557

Dilfer: Tarvaris Jackson could be next Seahawks QB

The Seahawks didn't address their unsettled quarterback situation in the NFL draft, but ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer tossed out a new name that he believes could be the answer.

Citing the connection with new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell -- and some sources -- Dilfer told Brock & Salk on Monday that the Seahawks could pursue Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, whose contract expired after last season.

"(Darrell) Bevell, now in Seattle, always had an affinity for Tarvaris Jackson. And believe it or not, I think that might be the play here for the Seattle Seahawks -- I think it might be trying to get Tarvaris Jackson from Minnesota," Dilfer said. "They've always liked him, they liked his starter potential. (Bevell) tried to make it happen for him in Minnesota and that might be the direction they're trying to go.

"I don't like that plan, but if that's their plan and that's what they're trying to do, then more power to them."

Jackson, 28, was drafted by the Vikings in 2006, the same year Bevell became Minnesota's offensive coordinator. Jackson played a career-high 12 games in 2007 and has a career completion rate of 58.7 percent. He's thrown 24 touchdowns and 22 interceptions in 36 career games.

Why would the Seahawks be so high on a player with such an underwhelming resume?

"When I was a player," Dilfer said. " ... I always kind of started seeing how teams really believe that they could make something out of a guy, that they fall in love with him early on, a coach falls in love with him early on, and regardless of public opinion you're going to make it happen."

Dilfer said the possibility is "a reality" and more than just speculation on his part.

"As I've done the research the last 24 hours, I've made some calls, I've wrapped my brain around it, I think that's something that might be in their plans," Dilfer said.

The Seahawks say they plan to resume contract negotiations with Matt Hasselbeck once free agency begins. Hasselbeck has said on numerous occasions that he wants to remain in Seattle. So why wouldn't it happen?
    Dilfer called Hasselbeck "the ultimate lockout quarterback," meaning his experience and ability to quickly grasp a new offense in a truncated offseason will make him a hot commodity with teams trying to fill quarterback vacancies. Ultimately, Dilfer believes, Hasselbeck will be too expensive for the Seahawks.

"There are a lot of teams out there that want Matthew," Dilfer said, naming Tennessee, Washington and Arizona specifically. "His price will be driven way up. He will make so much money once this lockout is over and he's a free agent able to go negotiate with teams it's going to be scary. That's why I don't think they'll be able to do it."

Not even after drafting offensive linemen with their first two picks -- tackle James Carpenter at No. 25 and guard John Moffitt at No. 75?
    Dilfer doesn't think so.

"Drafting young offensive linemen does nothing for veteran quarterbacks," said Dilfer, who qualified those remarks by saying he had not spoken to Hasselbeck about the matter. "In fact, if anything it ticks us off a little bit because we know it's very hard for young guys to be productive early on. They get overwhelmed by the speed of the game. They get overwhelmed by the decisions they have to make at the line of scrimmage. ...
    "For the people out there that think that's going to be something that gets Matt excited, I think you're wrong."

Good luck with Tavaris Jackson!
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Working...
    X