• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles voids contract-as MD says, "it's always about the money" LOL

Report: Nick Foles voids 2019 option by paying $2 million back to Eagles
    As expected.
    By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Feb 5, 2019, 8:56pm EST

Well, that was fast.

Not even an hour after it was reported that the Eagles are picking up Nick Foles’ option for the 2019 season, NFL insider Adam Schefter is reporting Foles is choosing to void the deal by paying $2 million back to Philadelphia. This course of action is not unexpected. It doesn’t necessarily guarantee Foles will enter free agency, though, as previously explained:

The only way the Eagles can block Foles from becoming a free agent is if they use the franchise tag on him. NFL insider Adam Schefter recently reported “that the Eagles ARE expected to use their franchise tag on him and they ARE expected to try to trade him.” The window to apply the franchise tag lasts from February 19 until March 5.

Tagging and trade Foles is possible but it’s not necessarily likely. There are challenges that come with doing that. Essentially, Howie Roseman has to be 100% sure he can trade Foles before he tags him or else the Eagles risk having Foles’ fully guaranteed $25+ million salary on the books for 2019.

We’ll see if the Eagles can find a way to trade Foles. If they can’t, he’ll be a free agent available to sign with any team when the new league year begins on March 13.

If Foles does sign with another team in free agency, the Eagles could potentially receive a compensatory pick for him in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia will move forward with Carson Wentz as their franchise quarterback.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 02-06-2019, 01:45 AM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I sincerely hope they can work things out in an amicable fashion. I really don't want to see this get ugly, and I really, really don't want Foles to end up in Washington or NY.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      I sincerely hope they can work things out in an amicable fashion. I really don't want to see this get ugly, and I really, really don't want Foles to end up in Washington or NY.
      All is not lost. You and I know that Howie has been working the phones for at least a month trying to set this thing up. After all he lives for this shit. I'm now hoping that we might get a low pick for him which is better than nothing. Of course Nick's agent might have been doing the same thing. When it all comes do to it it's not the end of the world if he walks. We kept him just in case Wentz got hurt and of course he did so in the end it was worth it.

Comment

Kinda funny-- but while my mantra has always been it's about the money--- but I (and I always said)-- that there are some exceptions--- Nick might just be one of those.

I think both he and the organization play this one fairly-- and it might not ONLY be about the money!

Comment

My understanding is that even if the Eagles don't tag Foles, the shrewd business move here is gaining cap space because the $2MM Foles paid back is credited to them to carry over into '19. I doubt the Eagles find takers for a franchise tagged Foles. They can still tag him and rescind it and it will have zero impact on their cap (as long as Foles doesn't sign the franchise tender).

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            Kinda funny-- but while my mantra has always been it's about the money--- but I (and I always said)-- that there are some exceptions--- Nick might just be one of those.

I think both he and the organization play this one fairly-- and it might not ONLY be about the money!
            I've always said the same thing about Nick and his relationship with the Birds. Then it took him about 10 minutes to buy back his contract so now I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              I've always said the same thing about Nick and his relationship with the Birds. Then it took him about 10 minutes to buy back his contract so now I'm not so sure.
              Hey maybe you are right and I am suspicious..... but Nick might be the one guy who might not be ALL about the $$$$$$$$. Not sure how that works out, but I hope he and the team come away with a fair deal.

Comment

This buying back the contract is not about anything other than protecting your interests IMO--on both sides. I think they have had a good relationship and continue to do so. He is one of the few that don't think is all about the money. His family has money, he has made a lot of money, and he sure doesn't appear to be one that believes money is the beginning and end of life.
                I am certain he and his agent know that the birds had to exercise the option and that the Eagles know he was going to void it in order to see what is available for starting jobs. I don't believe anyone, including Foles, believed the birds were going to pay 20 mil for a backup QB. It is all part of a dance IMO
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  This buying back the contract is not about anything other than protecting your interests IMO--on both sides. I think they have had a good relationship and continue to do so. He is one of the few that don't think is all about the money. His family has money, he has made a lot of money, and he sure doesn't appear to be one that believes money is the beginning and end of life.
                  I am certain he and his agent know that the birds had to exercise the option and that the Eagles know he was going to void it in order to see what is available for starting jobs. I don't believe anyone, including Foles, believed the birds were going to pay 20 mil for a backup QB. It is all part of a dance IMO
                  This is very true ND. Of course he also has his agent chirping in his ear too. I think that he'll probably make the rounds and find out if any of these teams really are convinced that he will be their "franchise guy" and are committed to him instead of just being a stopgap for them. I'm not sure that the Eagles can do that for him unless somebody offers a great draft pick for him to prove it.

Comment

This a little bit of a wacky theory but wtf:

I think Foles wants to test the market or his that his agent has made inquiries and there’s someone who already has expressed interest.

However, I also think Foles wants to be clear of the ongoing narrative of him being the guy keeping the QB role warm for when Wentz is healthy. And being the SuperBowl MVP maybe he feels, and deservedly so, that he should be the starter not the backup. Mind you, I’m not saying that, I think Wentz is the future of this team even though, right now, Foles commands the offense better. Foles just wants to move on one year sooner than the team wants him to.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                      This a little bit of a wacky theory but wtf:

I think Foles wants to test the market or his that his agent has made inquiries and there’s someone who already has expressed interest.

However, I also think Foles wants to be clear of the ongoing narrative of him being the guy keeping the QB role warm for when Wentz is healthy. And being the SuperBowl MVP maybe he feels, and deservedly so, that he should be the starter not the backup. Mind you, I’m not saying that, I think Wentz is the future of this team even though, right now, Foles commands the offense better. Foles just wants to move on one year sooner than the team wants him to.
                      I'm not sure what you mean WC but I do know that Nick or anybody else wants to be a starter wherever they play. If any player just wants to be a backup I don't want him on my team. The reason that he was contemplating retirement a couple of years ago was that he didn't think that he would get that opportunity and didn't want to be the clipboard holder again. I'm not quite sure how the Eagles talked him into returning to football to tell you the truth but I'm sure that the $million had something to do with it despite the fact that everybody around here thinks that his family owns the state of Texas and doesn't want anymore dough. That point is way overstated on this board.

Comment

Not sure anyone, certainly I am not, is saying they don't want more money but it is a hell of a lot easier to walk away from something if you know your family is covered.
                        Birds didn't talk him into coming back. I thought Andy did and I thought it was the Andy/Doug connection that got his fire restarted.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                          Not sure anyone, certainly I am not, is saying they don't want more money but it is a hell of a lot easier to walk away from something if you know your family is covered.
                          Birds didn't talk him into coming back. I thought Andy did and I thought it was the Andy/Doug connection that got his fire restarted.
                          God told him to do it. I don't think that Nick was all that serious about quitting football either to tell you the truth. I think that story gets overblown too. I've been known to by a cynic at times.

Comment

Working...
                          X