Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Sweat-247Sports

Josh Sweat is being labeled as steal of the draft for Eagles
    Playing in the wide-nine could make Josh Sweat the steal of the draft.
    Jeff Kerr - May 1, 8:44 AM 0

Josh Sweat worked incredibly hard to get to the point where he was considered one of the best defensive ends in the country, just three years after the Florida State Seminoles star defensive end almost lost his leg after tearing his ACL and dislocating his knee on the same play. The Philadelphia Eagles took a chance on Sweat in the fourth round of the 2018 draft, after a surprising fall in the NFL's annual selection meeting that had the potential Day 1 pick slip all the way to Day 3.

The Eagles may have benefitted from Sweat falling nearly 100 spots in the draft, adding on to their already stacked defensive line rotation. Philadelphia landed one of the most productive defensive ends in college football in Sweat, who's 8.1 run stop percentage ranked 20th in the nation (via Pro Football Focus).

Sweat had an excellent run-stop percentage because of his explosiveness out of his stance, and his ability to press tackles upfield with his shoulder and get them off balance. He had six sacks, 10 quarterback hits and 18 hurries in 2017.

When Sweat arrived at FSU, he was able to contribute immediately as a freshman despite coming off that injury. In his three seasons as a Seminole, Sweat appeared in 35 games recording 138 total tackles (77 solo tackles). He finished his college career with 14.5 sacks and 29 tackles for loss. He also had a forced fumble, three fumble recoveries and an interception.

Even more impressive was how Sweat got to the quarterback over the last two seasons, Sweat had a total of 34 quarterback sacks and hits during that span, the most among all edge rushers in the draft. Somehow he fell to the fourth round.

At 6-5, 250 pounds, Sweat has the length and frame to stand up on the outside as a pass rushing linebacker or get down in the dirt on the edge. He has a ton of potential to get to the quarterback, which he demonstrated during has last two seasons with the Seminoles.

Sweat played a lot of four-technique at Florida State, which hurt his production. The Eagles use a wide-nine technique, which gives Sweat extra room off the line to get after the quarterback (lining up wide of the tackle for extra leverage). In the Eagles defensive line rotation, that benefits a player of Sweat's caliber.

"I mean that is part of the reason I left; I’m ready for something like that," Sweat said on the Eagles defensive alignment. "I need to get on the edge because that’s what I do best. I’m fast, I can bend and I’m strong. That’s when I can showcase my talent."

Sweat will be a rotational piece on the Eagles stacked defensive line, earning more snaps as he develops. He could be the long-term replacement for Chris Long, but will sit back and develop behind starters Derek Barnett and Brandon Graham while bring part of the rotation with Long and Michael Bennett.

Playing in the wide-nine will get the most out of Sweat, who fell into the Eagles lap. The Eagles know the player they landed in Sweat, who could turn out to be the steal of the draft.

"That's what we call 'rich man problems,'" said Eagles Executive Vice President of Football Operations Howie Roseman. "We're excited about that. That's how we're going to build this. We're always going to put priority on the lines. You can never have too many, and I think Coach (Doug Pederson) and his staff showed that throughout the season. Depth is important in this league, and also grooming players. When you look at the draft, the draft isn't about filling needs, it's about the long-term interests of your football team.

"We've got to make sure that not only do we have the right players in that room this year, which we do. I mean, we've got a great group. But that we also have the right players going forward."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

and he is in place in case Graham decides he wants TOO much
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I don't get the injury knock. He was hurt back in high school and missed his freshman year in college before having a great career. What's the problem
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I don't get the injury knock. He was hurt back in high school and missed his freshman year in college before having a great career. What's the problem
        Bingo!

Comment

I really like his burst, followed by the use of his hands. Wait till he's stronger !
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
          X