No announcement yet.

OT: The Dutchman Makes the Papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for advice Dutchman. Good luck with your goals as well!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
      Congrats to you BP. You've got it right.

I am goal oriented and driven so now I tease myself with the idea that by next year I could contend for the powerlifting records (Bench Press and Deadlift) as the strongest guy, by age and weight, to have ever lived in Florida. I know the records and keep them in mind as I train. Slowly I am creeping up on them. Whether or not I get them, I am already competitive and proud that I hung in there. In fact matching my own records as I age is an improvement and a victory of its own.
      Damn that's pretty sweet. Congrats Dutchman.

Now I feel really bad about skipping the gym this weekend.

Comment

I just got back from the gym myself.

Dutch, that's good stuff. I work the front desk in a health club in my spare time (I get my membership comped, and full use of all facilities), and I see older folks all the time that maintain a fitness regimine. They are light years ahead of their couch potato counterparts. Fitness is use it or lose it, and the older you get, the easier it is to lose it, and the harder it is to get it back. We've got people in their 70s that still work out, and play tennis, and they are active, and mobile, and healthy. We've even got one lady in her 90s that still plays tennis, and maintains a fitness program. Her reason? So she can still party! Can't think of a better reason than that. Then, I compare that to some of the couch potatoes I know. Heck, one of my friends is 43, and his body is already completely betraying him. He's on a list of medications as long as your arm. I can tell you that I'm not going out like that. I bike 6 to 10 miles a day, do a good flexiblity program, and hit the weights pretty hard. I'm the most active parent I know. I get out and RUN with my kids. Fitness improves the quality of your life, no doubt about it.

As for our couch potato friend Jukin. Juke, get your slack a$$ on a program. I'd recommend joining a good fitness center, and get with a knowledgeable, certified trainer to get you started. Get your body fat tested. Body composition is the best indicator of progress. Too many people get hung up on scale weight. You can do it in an hour or so, three times a week. A warm up, a good flexibility protocol, strength training, and finish with 20-30 minutes of heart rate training. As a noob, you should just focus on developing some good habits, and increasing your overall fitness level, which pays a hell of a lot of dividends if you stick around long enough to embrace the training effect.

Oh, and Dutch, I don't know if you are familiar with Dave Draper or not. Draper was the golden boy of bodybuilding before Ahnold came along. He is in his 60s, and still pounds the iron and steel with the best of them. He maintains a great site, and his weekly columns are a wealth of insight.

http://www.davedraper.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro

Tin,
          I lived behind Rice and Holman. Went to school at St. Pete's. Ate cheese Steaks at the House of Pizza. Swam at Iron Rock. Played Street Lacrosse off of Union Ave. Played little league ball at PYAA field and at Merchantville. I lived on Oakview Ave. which was a short cut for Pennsauken residents to get to the mall from, Maple Ave to Church Road. You might have chased me out of the street during one of my many street ball games (at the curve). LOL
          Pedro,

You're taking me back, man! Lived on Irving Avenue and went to Merchantville High...Pennsauaken didn't complete their HS until the year after I grauduated (by order of the town fathers). Many of my buds attended St Pete's and we had some wild times trying drink South Jersey dry. Most of the "chasing" I participated in involved me trying (usually unsucessfully) to evade the cops...in my MGB. A "promising" baseball career, that I was certain would one day lead to Center Field at Connie Mack Stadium, came to a disappointing end in Legion Ball when I...and anyone else who cared to look...came to the obvious conclusion that I was "all field and no hit."

Gasparri's, on Westfield Avenue, had by far the best pizza, steaks and meatball sandwiches. Weber's Root Beer, out on Rt 38, was the weekend rendevous point, where we'd always try to filch the glass muds. A tavern on Church Rd, near where you lived on Oakview, was our favorite watering hole...once we got legal. Can't remember the name. All you could eat "You Peel 'Em" shrimp on Friday Nights and 20 cent drafts.

I drive through the area, very occasionally, on the way south or to the Jersey Shore. Its almost unrecognizable now. Weber's was still there the last time we went through, and a Greek diner at the RT 38 circle, but little else of my hangouts. The biggest loss was Garden State Park burning down in '77. I know they rebuit it in the mid 80s, but it never recaptured the charm and elegance of that beautiful wooden grandstand.

It was a GREAT place to grow up in an era that was much less complicated than today.

Thanks for the memories.

Comment

http://www.jacklalanne.com/biograph.html

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
              I've been a big guy since my early 20's and ....
              That's why I call you Big Guy. I'm still waiting for you to put up an avatar of a BIG Italian guy smoking a cigar.
              Pedro

Comment

Tinopuno,
                I PMed you, so not to turn this into an off-topic thread. Bruno's Liongate.
                Pedro

Comment

Working...
                X